Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

-8 questions about tutorial and manuals and other stuff.

Hi, I love this new plane but have some questions.

I saw only two PDF's that pertain to the -8.  I read somewhere that there is a tutorial for it yet I can't find one on my PC.  I see the KDEN to KSFO for the -400.

The other one is the ND Range Knob on the MCP.  Is it normal to have to scroll the mouse wheel four times before it shows the next distance out or in?  For example, I have to turn the knob four times to get it to go from 20 nm to 40 nm.  It's not a big deal, I was just curious if the -8 behaves this way in real life.

But what is really important to me is a -8 specific tutorial.

Many thanks .

Jack

• Like 1

Jack Sawyer

The is no tutorial for the 747-8.

The 747-8 supplement section in the provided PMDG_747_Introduction.pdf document will answer most of your questions about differences between the -8 and the -400.

The MCP range knob of the 747-8 is a free rotating knob, it does not have detents as the 747-400. You just keep rotating (whith scroll wheel or holding down left/right mouse button) until you see the desired range on the ND

• Like 1

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

5 minutes ago, mfrantz said:

The 747-8 supplement section in the provided PMDG_747_Introduction.pdf document will answer most of your questions about differences between the -8 and the -400.

The MCP range knob of the 747-8 is a free rotating knob, it does not have detents as the 747-400. You just keep rotating (whith scroll wheel or holding down left/right mouse button) until you see the desired range on the ND

Thank you.  I would love to see an updated tutorial that's -8 specific having you use the EFB and the electronic checklist.  But maybe someone else will do one.

• Upvote 1

Jack Sawyer

Jack,

Also check out the detailed EFB manual we have provided. You can access it and read it directly from the EFB Documents application, or from disk at: [your sim folder]\PMDG\EFB\EFB Documents Library\PMDG_EFB_Manual.pdf

• Like 2

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

13 minutes ago, mfrantz said:

Jack,

Also check out the detailed EFB manual we have provided. You can access it and read it directly from the EFB Documents application, or from disk at: [your sim folder]\PMDG\EFB\EFB Documents Library\PMDG_EFB_Manual.pdf

Thanks Michael!  This will help, I didn't know it was there.  Much appreciated!!!!

Jack Sawyer

It would be even better if there was a link to these manuals in the Operations Center.

• Like 3

ki9cAAb.jpg

1 hour ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Hi, I love this new plane but have some questions.

I saw only two PDF's that pertain to the -8.  I read somewhere that there is a tutorial for it yet I can't find one on my PC.  I see the KDEN to KSFO for the -400.

The other one is the ND Range Knob on the MCP.  Is it normal to have to scroll the mouse wheel four times before it shows the next distance out or in?  For example, I have to turn the knob four times to get it to go from 20 nm to 40 nm.  It's not a big deal, I was just curious if the -8 behaves this way in real life.

But what is really important to me is a -8 specific tutorial.

Many thanks .

Jack

Jack,

If you hover over the ND range selector with your mouse, and you can left/right mouse click, to immediately jump to the next range increments! 

In summary, the scroll wheel will simulate the real behavior on the -8. The left/right mouse clicks simulate the old -400 behavior. 

Edited by calzonister
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, calzonister said:

Jack,

If you hover over the ND range selector with your mouse, and you can left/right mouse click, to immediately jump to the next range increments! 

In summary, the scroll wheel will simulate the real behavior on the -8. The left/right mouse clicks simulate the old -400 behavior. 

Thank you kindly 

Jack Sawyer

An IRL pilot are not permitted to enter the Flight Deck without a proper FCOM (manual) for the actual acft. type. It dosen´t matter if you have the FCOM for B747-400 when you going to fly a B747-800. You can only stay at the apron with your peaked cap in your hand and wave good bye to the plane and to your salary:-)

Edited by Oskar Speer
text edit

1 hour ago, Oskar Speer said:

B747-800

You'll never find a FCOM for a B747-800.  You will, however, find one for a B747-8.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

20 minutes ago, Oskar Speer said:

800 and 8. = same.

In a purely technical sense, the 800 doesn't exist, and the 8 does, so the 800 and 8 aren't the same.

Technically, the 8 did continue to use customer codes, so you'd see things like 747-836, but the fact remains that it is the -8 and not the -800. This is proven by the inverse: the -400 exists, and the -4 does not.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

I´m not a pilot, just a simple flight-simmer. In this scenario it dosen´t matter if 800 and 8 are the same or not.

On 9/23/2018 at 7:44 AM, mfrantz said:

I use hardware including the GoFlight EFIS, but with the -8 the Range knob (only) no longer works.

Can PMDG provide a selector type we can map the hardware to?

Thanks,

Mike Frantz

ugcx_banner.png

1 hour ago, frantzy said:

I use hardware including the GoFlight EFIS, but with the -8 the Range knob (only) no longer works.

Can PMDG provide a selector type we can map the hardware to?

Thanks,

Mike Frantz

You should submit a support ticket if you want to communicate to PMDG.  They accept feature requests.

Dan Downs KCRP