Recommended Posts

Hi,

I've recently purchased PF3, to go along with MCE and have a few questions regarding it's intergration with MCE. I started a new topic since there are over 19-20 forum pages 
about MCE and PF3 along with numerous sub topics and its becoming hard to decipher what is current and what is outdated. Since the PF3 manual 
and the MCE manual have not been updated with the most recent changes (MCE still showing info from PFE and PF3 now up to Ver 3.9), I was wondering if someone has a definitive setup for ease of integration between the two programs.

I also have some questions:

1. What hotkeys can I expect to work with MCE? I've been flying and it seems that some hotkeys fire when triggered by MCE, and some don't.
Are all ATC related hotkeys recognized by MCE? Is there a requirement to use the hotkeys at all when using MCE? 

2. Once connected to FSX, operating in "I have the aircraft mode" departing from a controlled airport, when I call for clearance,
Do I have to push the hotkey for initial check in? or do I just key my mic and call for clearance? 

3. When flying from an uncontrolled airport, in "I have the aircraft mode" and tuned to a FSS, Multicom or Unicom, to receive an IFR clearance, 
Do I call using "radio <call sign> request IFR clearance to XXXX)" or do I have to push the hotkey for initial check in? or do I just key my mic and call for clearance?

4. When receiving a clearance from FSS, should I get a response back from FSS or Multicom or Unicom, that the read back is correct? and if so what is the correct verbiage? 
 
5. Does MCE recognize the hotkeys that have been changed in PF3? or does it only use the default hotkeys from PF3?

6. When requesting a climb or descent from a cruise altitude using MCE or the relevant hotkey, I have yet to be issued a climb or descent, (PF3 manual says a 10% probability that you may be denied but its happened on every flight so far) I am always told to remain at the my current altitude, However when asking for a climb due to turbulence or clouds, I'm always approved. Is this normal? (Probably a question for the PF3 forum, but thought I'd ask).

7. Should MCE be started prior to PF3 or vice versa?

8. Which PF3 VCP modes actually work with MCE? I know MCE sets the pilot voice to None and VCP 0 so as to use their recorded voices but will MCE's copilot operate in VCP mode 1,2 & 3 also?


Thanks for all the hard work on 2 outstanding programs.


Tony 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

16 hours ago, Fighter Guy said:

Hi,

I've recently purchased PF3, to go along with MCE and have a few questions regarding it's intergration with MCE. I started a new topic since there are over 19-20 forum pages 
about MCE and PF3 along with numerous sub topics and its becoming hard to decipher what is current and what is outdated. Since the PF3 manual 
and the MCE manual have not been updated with the most recent changes (MCE still showing info from PFE and PF3 now up to Ver 3.9), I was wondering if someone has a definitive setup for ease of integration between the two programs.

I also have some questions:

1. What hotkeys can I expect to work with MCE? I've been flying and it seems that some hotkeys fire when triggered by MCE, and some don't.
Are all ATC related hotkeys recognized by MCE? Is there a requirement to use the hotkeys at all when using MCE? 

Just about all hotkeys are recognized. Not sure about "request direct" or things like "toggle AI detection" but all the main ATC communication hotkeys work fine.

 

16 hours ago, Fighter Guy said:

2. Once connected to FSX, operating in "I have the aircraft mode" departing from a controlled airport, when I call for clearance,
Do I have to push the hotkey for initial check in? or do I just key my mic and call for clearance? 

3. When flying from an uncontrolled airport, in "I have the aircraft mode" and tuned to a FSS, Multicom or Unicom, to receive an IFR clearance, 
Do I call using "radio <call sign> request IFR clearance to XXXX)" or do I have to push the hotkey for initial check in? or do I just key my mic and call for clearance?

No need for any hotkey when using MCE. You talk and don't push keys.

You can either press the MCE - PTT button and say something like "delta 182, requesting ATC clearance" yourself or you tell your FO to "request ATC clearance" and he will contact PF3.

 

 

17 hours ago, Fighter Guy said:

4. When receiving a clearance from FSS, should I get a response back from FSS or Multicom or Unicom, that the read back is correct? and if so what is the correct verbiage? 

FSS just opens your flightplan. You confirm that with "roger". You don't get a clearance on Multicom or Unicom, if I'm not mistaken.

 

17 hours ago, Fighter Guy said:

5. Does MCE recognize the hotkeys that have been changed in PF3?

Yes.

 

17 hours ago, Fighter Guy said:

6. When requesting a climb or descent from a cruise altitude using MCE or the relevant hotkey, I have yet to be issued a climb or descent, (PF3 manual says a 10% probability that you may be denied but its happened on every flight so far) I am always told to remain at the my current altitude, However when asking for a climb due to turbulence or clouds, I'm always approved. Is this normal? (Probably a question for the PF3 forum, but thought I'd ask).

If you have the same issue when pressing the keys manually, it is not an MCE issue. Post that on the PF3 forum with your logs. (It's working fine for me though).

 

17 hours ago, Fighter Guy said:

7. Should MCE be started prior to PF3 or vice versa?

Should make no difference.

17 hours ago, Fighter Guy said:

8. Which PF3 VCP modes actually work with MCE? I know MCE sets the pilot voice to None and VCP 0 so as to use their recorded voices but will MCE's copilot operate in VCP mode 1,2 & 3 also?

I guess VCP modes 1,2 and 3 would conflict with the FO-functionality of MCE, so better leave it at 0. I don't think the PF3-VCP in modes 1,2,3 could do anything that the MCE-FO couldn't do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the response RALF9636.

Everything seems to work ok except for the climb or descent issue. I know its not MCE because ATC answers when I or the FO makes the request. I'll post that question on the PF3 forum with the attached logs. I'm sure it's probably something I'm doing wrong with regards to my flt plan. 

 

Thanks again,

 

Tony 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2018 at 1:00 PM, RALF9636 said:

6. When requesting a climb or descent from a cruise altitude using MCE or the relevant hotkey, I have yet to be issued a climb or descent, (PF3 manual says a 10% probability that you may be denied but its happened on every flight so far) I am always told to remain at the my current altitude, However when asking for a climb due to turbulence or clouds, I'm always approved. Is this normal? (Probably a question for the PF3 forum, but thought I'd ask).

So I did some more testing with the climb and descent issue. It appears it's not a PF3 issue as when the hotkey is pressed, I was able to get a climb and descent. When calling for a climb or descent myself I always get denied and when the FO calls and requests either climb or descent there is no response from ATC. It seems like the hotkey is not being seen or not sending the keystrokes quick enough. For example I am at 13000' and request a climb to 15000', when I use the hotkey (for climb mine is SHF+F1) then press 2, I get a climb to 15000'. When I request it myself I am told to remain at 13000. When the FO calls (Clive), ATC does not respond. Does the climb and descent hotkey have to be a single character, or is this a possible timing issue? I have tried using the default hotkeys, but I have the same problems, and some of the defaults interfere with a number of other programmed functions I have set throughout my sim, so I'd like to use whatever unused key codes  that are available, rather than changing a bunch of keycodes. When using native ATC I know MCE reads the request and then the altitude desired and selects it within the ATC menu, and that works with no problem. My keyboard repeat rate and repeat delay are both set to fast. Could this also cause a problem?

Running WIN 7, FSX, MCE ver 2.7.7.5, PF3 3.9.0

Thanks for all the assistance

Tony J.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fighter Guy said:

So I did some more testing with the climb and descent issue. It appears it's not a PF3 issue as when the hotkey is pressed, I was able to get a climb and descent. When calling for a climb or descent myself I always get denied and when the FO calls and requests either climb or descent there is no response from ATC. It seems like the hotkey is not being seen or not sending the keystrokes quick enough. For example I am at 13000' and request a climb to 15000', when I use the hotkey (for climb mine is SHF+F1) then press 2, I get a climb to 15000'. When I request it myself I am told to remain at 13000. When the FO calls (Clive), ATC does not respond. Does the climb and descent hotkey have to be a single character, or is this a possible timing issue? I have tried using the default hotkeys, but I have the same problems, and some of the defaults interfere with a number of other programmed functions I have set throughout my sim, so I'd like to use whatever unused key codes  that are available, rather than changing a bunch of keycodes. When using native ATC I know MCE reads the request and then the altitude desired and selects it within the ATC menu, and that works with no problem. My keyboard repeat rate and repeat delay are both set to fast. Could this also cause a problem?

Running WIN 7, FSX, MCE ver 2.7.7.5, PF3 3.9.0

Thanks for all the assistance

Tony J.

 

I just checked on my last flight. It works fine for me, both requesting myself and letting the FO make the request.

Did you try several aircraft? Maybe MCE does not read the altitude correctly from the aircraft?

When PF3 denied your request, did PF3 say "unable at this time, maintain ..." or just "maintain ...". In the latter case most probably the hotkey for "request to maintain current altitude" (for you: SHF+F1 + 0) was sent by MCE. In the former case it might just have been the random denial you sometimes get by PF3.

 

Also make sure that you make the request while flying level and with a correct altimeter setting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have recently tried using MCE and PF3 again but can't seem to get it to work. 

When I ask the FO to handle the ATC, he acknowledges. But when I ask him to "Request ATC Clearance", after I have already set the frequency, I hear him say our callsign, but nothing else. Also if I push the MCE assigned PTT button and ask ATC myself, I get nothing! So end up giving up, and returning to using RC4. Not sure what is wrong?

  • I have RC4toXP plugin disabled
  • I have PF3toXP plugin Enabled
  • I have Active=1 set and Closed Captions unset in the PF3 options
  • I have Pilot voice=none in PF3
  • I'm using the correct frequency per PF3Display.dat file

Not sure what else I need to do for the FO to request things correctly, or to be heard by PF3 myself?

Stuart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RALF9636,

Thanks again for your ongoing assistance.

When I physically pressed the hotkey (SHF+F1+2) I received the climb clearance, but when I called via MCE through my PTT button, I received the "maintain <altitude>". which is why I suspected maybe the hotkey wasn't firing correctly.  When the I asked the FO to "request climb" he asks for the desired altitude then makes the call, but receives no response back from ATC.

I also seem to recall buried back in another thread, something about MceFOPerCharSpeedDuration=30 and PfePerCharSpeedDuration=45. Are these entries still required or valid? 
or has that been taken into account in the latest version?

I have not tried other aircraft but will give it a shot. The aircraft I'm currently flying is the FS2X Beech Baron G1000. Altitude calls seem to work fine in native ATC.
All calls were made in level flight with the correct altimeter setting

Thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated,

Tony J 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2018 at 2:43 AM, Fighter Guy said:

RALF9636,

Thanks again for your ongoing assistance.

When I physically pressed the hotkey (SHF+F1+2) I received the climb clearance, but when I called via MCE through my PTT button, I received the "maintain <altitude>". which is why I suspected maybe the hotkey wasn't firing correctly.  When the I asked the FO to "request climb" he asks for the desired altitude then makes the call, but receives no response back from ATC.

I also seem to recall buried back in another thread, something about MceFOPerCharSpeedDuration=30 and PfePerCharSpeedDuration=45. Are these entries still required or valid? 
or has that been taken into account in the latest version?

I have not tried other aircraft but will give it a shot. The aircraft I'm currently flying is the FS2X Beech Baron G1000. Altitude calls seem to work fine in native ATC.
All calls were made in level flight with the correct altimeter setting

Thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated,

Tony J 

Hi Tony,

I've changed the pf3 hotkey for higher alt to "H" and lower to "L".

Looking into pf3 i've asigned all my hotkeys to 1 single letter.

Best regards,

Edited by starter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Starter,

 

Thanks for your input. Initially I had the default single hotkeys for climb and descent, but because of my setup, I would get unusual problems while flying which turned out to be caused by the selected hotkeys being used by something else. So in an effort to prevent same key usage, I was try some other key combinations that were not used. 

I flew again last night and I was getting all kinds of weird issues. Definitely not PF3 related as when I manually hit the hotkeys I would get the proper response. I am going to try single hotkeys again, but it requires going through my setup to prevent conflict, and that's going to be a bit of a challenge. I'm not sure if it's a timing issue between MCE and PF3, or keyboard character speed. I had the MCE commands showing on the screen and MCE shows the correct command being sent, but I'm not getting anything back from PF3 on some requests. (i.e. Calling for clearance or requesting taxi seems to work ok, but with climbs and descents,  I typically get "Maintain current altitude" or I might get a climb or descent, but it would be to an altitude I did not request.).

 

Thanks again,

 

Tony J 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now