Ray Proudfoot

How much RAM do you have for P3D v4

How much RAM do you have for P3D v4?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. How much RAM do you have for P3D version 4.x?

I’m close to placing an order for a new PC to run P3D v4 and cannot decide if 16Gb of RAM is sufficient or whether I should go for 32Gb for future-proofing.

The best way to find out is to ask you to complete the poll and add any comments here you feel would help me (and potentially others). Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’m close to placing an order for a new PC to run P3D v4 and cannot decide if 16Gb of RAM is sufficient or whether I should go for 32Gb for future-proofing.

The best way to find out is to ask you to complete the poll and add any comments here you feel would help me (and potentially others). Thanks for your help.

I thought you were never going to move to x64 bit.. what is making you change your mind?

16GB of RAM should be enough.

It is more important to choose a Video Card with a lot of Ram as it will allow you to receive more benefits from P3D.

Regards,

Simbol

• Upvote 1

I upgraded from 16gb to 32gb which made no noticeable difference to the PC or Fsim performance

+1 for the VRAM, running high res textures my Video RAM often gets to 9gb 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, simbol said:

I thought you were never going to move to x64 bit.. what is making you change your mind?

16GB of RAM should be enough.

It is more important to choose a Video Card with a lot of Ram as it will allow you to receive more benefits from P3D.

Regards,

Simbol

It was always down to whether FSL would produce a 64-bit version of Concorde. They are working on it now so I want to be ready when it comes out. Plus selling my existing PC for a reasonable sum helps towards the cost of the new one.

I’m going for the 2080Ti so 11Gb should be enough.

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

Yes, very good selection.

S.

• Upvote 1

There are 4 slot on my Sabertooth Z87. When I built the system put in 8gb (2x4GB) GSkill 2400mhz CL9 so two slot used.

When I changed from 32bit P3D to 64bit P3D. I searched high and Low for the Identical kit and found one used on ebay for about $100 which is about half what I paid for the original one.

So now I had 16GB (4x4GB) GSkill 2400mhz CL9 with all four slots used. It all worked perfectly. About a month later one of the sticks failed. I have no idea if it was one of the original 2 I bought new or one of the used pair. I RMA'd it to G-Skill and they sent me back a brand new identical module. All has worked perfectly since. That's well over a year.

If I was building a new system today. I would buy the best 2x16GB kit i.e. 32GB I could get/afford. And a MB with four slots. Then In a coupe of years if I wanted to or needed to increase the amount of memory I would try to pick up the same kit used hopefully for about 1/2 the new price so I would have 4x16GBi.e. 64GB. In the other words do exactly what I did this time 😁

Edited by Avidean
  • Like 1

I haven't need more than 16GB RAM "yet" … BUT the more important aspect of P3D is to have MORE than 8GB VRAM if you want to bask in it's splendor … 11GB (is enough for now and future).  FSL Concorde will not tax your VRAM or RAM … as I understand it the Concorde will not be as complex as the FSL A3xx series so it'll probably have a small memory foot print.

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 1

Still happily flying with 8 GB RAM, wondering what I am missing :unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have just 8GB of RAM and P3D and Xplane have never complained, and sometimes I multitask and have a browser open so I can get Airport info from AirNav or another source, or I have media player running playing music.  I was more concerned with my VRAM, which is only 3GB, but even that turned out to be a non issue.  CPU speed has always been the biggest throttle on our modern sims but just about any contemporary system should work fine--mine does even though its cpu speed is on the low end for modern systems.

John

• Like 1

I have 16 GB, it's enough for the moment (I have +-6GB free).

My video card is a 1080ti with 11GB, that's enough for now too but with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10, I sometimes reach 90-94% of the memory. So far it has not gone beyond that. Overall, I've never had a memory problem (Ram or Vram) with this configuration.

Richard

Edited by DrumsArt
  • Like 1

One other thing comes to mind. The more memory slots you populate on your MB the more work the CPU memory controller has to do which will eat into your thermal overhead for Over Clocking purposes so if you want 32GB then 2x16 is better than 4X8

Edited by Avidean
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I haven't need more than 16GB RAM "yet" … BUT the more important aspect of P3D is to have MORE than 8GB VRAM if you want to bask in it's splendor … 11GB (is enough for now and future).  FSL Concorde will not tax your VRAM or RAM … as I understand it the Concorde will not be as complex as the FSL A3xx series so it'll probably have a small memory foot print.

Cheers, Rob.

As someone who hammers P3D this is encouraging news. I'm going for the 2080Ti so 11Gb should be a great help.

I agree that FSL Concorde will not be as heavy as the Airbus even after they improve the graphics side of things that were compromised for a 32-bit app. I also fly the Carenado PC-12 and Xtreme Solutions Learjet 25 but neither of those are memory munchers.

Looking at the votes cast so far I'm rethinking my plans.

2 minutes ago, Avidean said:

One other thing comes to mind. The more memory slots you populate on your MB the more cork the CPU memory controller has to do which will eat into your thermal overhead for Over Clocking purposes so if you want 32GB then 2x16 is better than 4X8

Yes, I agree. I'm planning on two modules. Easier to overclock too apparently.

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It was always down to whether FSL would produce a 64-bit version of Concorde. They are working on it now so I want to be ready when it comes out. Plus selling my existing PC for a reasonable sum helps towards the cost of the new one.

Or opting for a good Gigabyte/MSI 1080Ti for 50% of the price... 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Egbert Drenth said:

Or opting for a good Gigabyte/MSI 1080Ti for 50% of the price... 

But if L-M introduce ray tracing I'll be kicking myself.

6 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Yes, I agree. I'm planning on two modules. Easier to overclock too apparently.

My old Gateway system lasted almost ten years and went thru three video cards (the prior two died of fan failure).  The only BSOD I ever received on the Vista based system was when I attempted to overclock my graphics card.....  My bad and I thought "Holy...." my system is toast!  But I was able to revert what I had done and see the error of my ways.  Overclocking the card did boost fps in FSX by about 10 percent, I was surprised.  My current system was store bought at Fry's Electronics and although I have Nvidia Inspector I just let the sims work my graphics settings for me.  My Gateway system died of two things, but one thing I could fix in my own unique way.  My cpu fan died and the system would shut down when it got too hot, as it was designed to do.  So I removed the cover, got a $10 desk fan, and soldiered on with no more issues and cooler temps than the onboard cpu fan used to provide.  Before the cpu fan completely died I used to give it a whirl with my finger, by spinning the blade and sometimes it would run for a few days.

The old system finally had to go because Windows dropped updates for Vista, but my system tried to update anyway--and got stuck in an endless cycle of reboots with "0 pct installed" coming up.  Tried to get it to update for a week non stop but the Vista updates were gone and I learned online via my cell phone browser that other Vista users had lost their systems due to the same issue.  I looked for Windows 7 update edition but it was no longer available.  Gave me the excuse I needed to get a P3DV4 and Xplane11 capable system last year.  Carenado restored my licenses for almost all the products I had purchased from them for FSX, so I have them installed in P3DV4 now.

John

My first response: YAGNI

I can't predict the future and certainly not the future of P3D, but I can't imaging ray tracing will be a P3D feature anytime soon. 

Edited by Egbert Drenth
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Not sure any choice applies to me.  I have 32 gb on my sim rig, but I do NOT have 32gb for my sim.  If you understand my drift -- I built it with 32 gb for handling big photo manipulation tasks.  I realize the sim isn't going to use that.

That said, if I were building again, I'd probably just go for it -- 32 gb, that way I wouldn't  have to worry about anything.

The number of RAM modules will depend on the CPU, chipset … for dual channel 2 modules, but for quad channel 4 modules … even in OC situations you'll get far better thru-put with quad channel provided you're using a quad channel CPU/chipset.

But for 8000 and 9000 series, they're dual channel … quad channel is usually the domain of X series CPUs and associated chipsets and much more expensive MB's due to the additional layers needed for quad channel support.

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Still happily flying with 8 GB RAM, wondering what I am missing

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 (1024 texture res for LC support) … if you don't fly LC much on 4K or more res, then you'll not see much of a difference in P3D V4.3 … however I can assure you, to "see" the visual feast in it's entire glory moving forward, I would recommend more than 8GB.  However, if you're happy with 512 LC res, then you'll not need more than 8GB … 512 can look good too.

Cheers, Rob.

9 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

The number of RAM modules will depend on the CPU, chipset … for dual channel 2 modules, but for quad channel 4 modules … even in OC situations you'll get far better thru-put with quad channel provided you're using a quad channel CPU/chipset.

But for 8000 and 9000 series, they're dual channel … quad channel is usually the domain of X series CPUs and associated chipsets and much more expensive MB's due to the additional layers needed for quad channel support.

Rob, proposed mobo is Acer Prime Z370-A ATX variant with i7-8086K. Does that lend itself to a dual or quad setup? Dual I would imagine but you're the expert.

18 minutes ago, Egbert Drenth said:

My first response: YAGNI

I can't predict the future and certainly not the future of P3D, but I can't imaging ray tracing will be a P3D feature anytime soon. 

YAGNI? New one on me. I know if I go for the 1080Ti they'll introduce RT. I'm lucky like that!

25 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

However, if you're happy with 512 LC res, then you'll not need more than 8GB … 512 can look good too.

Cheers, Rob.

Yup, happily using Texture Exp = 9  :smile:

Looks good and uses less CPU/GPU resources.

And, you are right, I do not use 4K, but still on 1080p.

At least now I know what "I am missing"  :tongue:

Edited by Bert Pieke

10 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

YAGNI? New one on me. I know if I go for the 1080Ti they'll introduce RT. I'm lucky like that!

What if Ray Tracing turns out to be a gimmick?  What if RT severely impacts performance of the 2080ti when enabled?

33 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Rob, proposed mobo is Acer Prime Z370-A ATX variant with i7-8086K. Does that lend itself to a dual or quad setup? Dual I would imagine but you're the expert.

Acer?  Asus perhaps?

All Z370 boards are dual channel...the Asus Prime Z370-A has a dual channel, 4-slot memory config.  If you populate all four DIMM slots, you are still dual channel, with two DIMMs per channel.  DIMMs are not all the same, either...might not be a bad idea to research the state of the art in RAM...single vs double-sided, single bank vs double bank etc.  The 8086K really brings it...make sure you don't leave too much performance on the table with a memory config that limits what the CPU/IMC can do.

As far as how much...my last sim build had 32GB.  I never used it for the sim itself, so this time I'm building, at least initially, with 16GB (2x8GB) of high-end fast RAM (GSkill 3600MHz CAS 15).  Still doing burn-in testing, but it looks pretty good so far.

Cheers

15 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

What if Ray Tracing turns out to be a gimmick?  What if RT severely impacts performance of the 2080ti when enabled?

Feel free to discuss that in another topic. 😉