bravohotel01

Upper winds Speed & direction

Recommended Posts

I'am on a flight from CYYZ-CYVR using X-Plane 11 I have the X-Plane weather set to "Match real World conditions" with a refresh time set at 15minutes   I started at FL 340 and now at FL380  the wind has been 241 @ 55kts for almost the whole flight no change in direction & speed and I know in the real world this would not be the case. I still use FS2004 on my other computer (have done so for years) and use ActiveSky and I know that the wind speed & directions do change with altitude. The layer properties are showing 34000 ft. I change to manual and changed the wind speed & direction but after a few minutes it reverted back to 241 @ 55kts. My ground speed is 399kts and looking on FR24 most Aircraft  at my level and destination are showing a ground speed of around 430-440kts anyone got any idea why the direction & speed has not changed in 4 hours of this flight. I'am a new user of X-Plane 11 but have done some flights using "Match real world conditions" and never seen this problem before, any help would much appreciated . Thanks Brian 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've had excellent results with winds aloft in FSX with FS Global Real Weather and it is available for XP.  Accurate weather is very important to my sim experience.  Check my signature below....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFAIK, XP's default real weather only extrapolates winds aloft from surface winds, yielding inaccurate results.

There's the NOAA plugin/script as an alternative, featuring better simulation of winds aloft.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/15453-xpgfs-noaa-gfs-weather-real-weather-for-x-plane/

 

To check real world winds, you can use https://www.windy.com/.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Active Sky is also reportedly coming to X-Plane...I’m going to wait for this before making any other weather investment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bjoern said:

AFAIK, XP's default real weather only extrapolates winds aloft from surface winds, yielding inaccurate results.

There's the NOAA plugin/script as an alternative, featuring better simulation of winds aloft.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/15453-xpgfs-noaa-gfs-weather-real-weather-for-x-plane/

 

To check real world winds, you can use https://www.windy.com/.

No Bjoern, it does use grib data for upper level winds and temperatures.

And yes, Active Sky for XP is coming :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jcomm said:

No Bjoern, it does use grib data for upper level winds and temperatures.

It does?

Well, maybe my info applied to earlier versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

It does?

Well, maybe my info applied to earlier versions.

Yes, in the beginning of X-Plane 10 this was a problem, but they changed it in X-Plane 10.30 or 10.40.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Longranger said:

Yes, in the beginning of X-Plane 10 this was a problem, but they changed it in X-Plane 10.30 or 10.40.

The only problem is that they only have official GRIB data for two flight levels. Everything above and below is interpolated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

The only problem is that they only have official GRIB data for two flight levels. Everything above and below is interpolated.

Yes, that is a factor too...

Thanksfuly the good weather injcetors get a lot more, add to it GCM and LAM outputs, as well as even SYNOP and METAR data ( where available ), TAF, SIGMET, **and** Satellite and even Radar data where available!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jcomm said:

Yes, that is a factor too...

Thanksfuly the good weather injcetors get a lot more, add to it GCM and LAM outputs, as well as even SYNOP and METAR data ( where available ), TAF, SIGMET, **and** Satellite and even Radar data where available!

There are many more flight levels available from the NOAA GRIB sever than just the two that XP downloads, but I assume it was done this way because the native weather system only supports three wind levels in total: one surface and two aloft.

Hopefully the upcoming Active Sky for XP will be able to overcome some of the limitations in the basic weather system by dynamically changing the levels that winds are injected based on current aircraft altitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now