Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D running but CPU not running at max speed

43 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Julian,

No need for any concerns. I’ve used ASUS DIP5 on several occasions and it does a fine job:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/545573-p3d-running-but-cpu-not-running-at-max-speed/?do=findComment&comment=3931571

If you decide to give it a try, be sure to first restore your system BIOS settings to their optimum defaults.

If, like me, you feel little enthusiasm for attempting a manual overclock then DIP5 is the answer. All done and dusted in approx.15mins and the result is stable. Using this method recently I raised the clock by 53% on all cores of my water-cooled i7-5960X while under load and without any temperature issues. HT=ON (see sig).

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your advice. I tried learning DIP5 via YouTube, but most were using older versions, mine is 1.06.52, so it has options not in older versions. eg Enable CPU Adv Extensions (AVX) instructions and another one is Per core for higher OC result. So, not sure what I should click lol

Should speed step and c-states be enabled.

Thanks for the link too Mike, will read it now.

Million dollar question Mike, should I select TPUII using Corsair water cooling, and select all cores or per core ?

Regards

Julian

Edited by ZKOKQ

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

8 hours ago, ZKOKQ said:

@Ray Proudfoot

Sorry for hijacking your thread, hope you don't mind.

Julian

No worries Julian. :wink:

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 hours ago, ZKOKQ said:

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your advice. I tried learning DIP5 via YouTube, but most were using older versions, mine is 1.06.52, so it has options not in older versions. eg Enable CPU Adv Extensions (AVX) instructions and another one is Per core for higher OC result. So, not sure what I should click lol

Should speed step and c-states be enabled.

Thanks for the link too Mike, will read it now.

Million dollar question Mike, should I select TPUII using Corsair water cooling, and select all cores or per core ?

Regards

Julian

Hi Julian,

I guess it boils down to whether the Processor is capable. If it is, then go for it. Here is the list of product specs for your cpu:

https://ark.intel.com/products/148263/Intel-Core-i7-8086K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-5-00-GHz-

You will note that Speedstep technology and AVX2 instructions are there amongst the pack.

Should you wish to exploit it’s power saving capabilities when at idle then you should enable c-states. It’s likely that DIP5 will do that as part of the automation of the overclocking settings adjustments. I didn’t have to change anything in the BIOS after DIP5 completed nor, indeed, since.

Doing your own research prior to deciding is the way to go. Your requirements and mine may differ. 

If I recall correctly, the only setting I changed in DIP5 was to overclock all cores. You may find that your current turbo clock only applies to one core, core 0.

Just allow DIP5 to do its stuff and then check afterwards what has been achieved using free utilities like CPU-Z and Core Temp. There are several others out there allowing you to monitor cpu activity in real-time.

It’s unlikely you will encounter any issues but, again, no need to worry as you can always return to the System BIOS and restore the optimised default settings.

Regarding the version of DIP5 it’s usually best to use the latest version supplied by ASUS for your Motherboard.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Let’s return to the original point of this topic. Namely the six cores of my i7-8086K running no faster than 4.4Ghz. I put this down to some mischief by Intel in how they marketed this processor. Yes, it will run at 5Ghz but only on core0 and crucially, only if the program being run uses a single core.

We know P3D uses multiple cores so what was happening until earlier today was all cores were being throttled to 4.4Ghz and nothing was running at 5.

I looked back at my receipt and it included a free overclocking service of up to 20%. So I wrote to Chillblast and asked why it wasn’t done. I also explained that I felt I wasn’t getting the maximum performance from this special CPU.

Within 30 mins I had a reply including instructions on how to overclock it. Only small steps - 0.1 GHz at a time so as not to introduce instability. I was impressed with their response.

Went into the BIOS and said a few Hail Mary’s first and made the change. Tested at EGLL and it was good to see all cores now running at 4.5Ghz. FPS hovered around 30 with UTL set to 80% which is pretty good. But west of EGLL looking back towards London they were quite a bit lower-around low 20s.

The values will be increased in the next few days and may eventually require a small increase in voltage but Chillblast will advise when that’s necessary.

Sorry for my tardiness towards some people earlier in this thread. I was convinced the system was running at 5.0 Ghz but clearly, maybe due an oversight, it wasn’t. Hopefully we can get it to around 4.8Ghz on all cores. Fingers crossed.

quote:I did it  wrong its answer for ZKOKQ

you can use pre core or sync all ,avx yes p3dv4 use avx but not 100% only small bursts 

per core example with 6core cpu: 50,50,50,50,50,49 (multi)it would run P3D at 4.9ghz this is same as sync all cores if you do per core 50,50,50,50,50,50 (multi)  it run at 5.0ghz 

sync all cores  you set 50(multi) it run 5.0ghz

AVX 1 if you set multi 50 5.0ghz it run P3D at 5.0-4.9ghz ( it downclock to 4.9 when it sence avx)

Edited by westman
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hi Julian,

Have you watched this video?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x5e68jLErCw

It’s a few years old and it’s likely that there will be differences in the GUI, but the principles and procedures are the same.

Those guys at ASUS, especially on the ROG side, usually know what they are doing and, quite clearly, have confidence in their products, in this instance DIP5.

Regards,

Mike

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Steve,

I’m curious about your system, the version of P3D you run and what aircraft you fly.

Please post what HT, AF and overclocking settings you employ. I’m curious.

P3Dv4, HT enabled 3960x 4.1GHz OC. Why not DL a copy of IFPro and find out just what I fly and where I go. It's an app that you use to actually prove the system performance and see just how much difference OC and AM's make for yourself. I'm not discussing the AM I use specifically because it is system dependent and some will say they tried it and it's no good for them, simply because it's not just about the AM, it's about what your system is doing elsewhere and what the bandwidth is capable of. You find the bandwidth or the number of cores required by timing how long your main airport takes to come up, and increase cores used until you see no more improvement to the loading speed. Also as I already said, avoid sharing the main task on its core with the second task, so naturally my AM has an '01' on the end.

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Some things folk get wrong assessing performance:

HT mode provides more cores. Wrong! HT mode decreases the switching time between threads as they are moved onto the core for their time-slice of the CPU. The HT core stores the 'contexts' (registers and current state) of two threads rather than one, so that switching time (moving the context to the CPU and re-commencing that process) is roughly halved. Seen on a CPU with more than two hundred threads (like most Windows systems) and P3D alone will invoke more than 60 threads, that is a worthwhile investment - don't turn off HT, instead do your homework and learn which apps require assertion of a CPU partition (like P3D and FSX).

All the cores should run the same amount of stuff and look evenly used. Wrong! Windows apps are not 'granular' enough to show even spread of work across all cores. Some processes, like the P3D main task of rendering and user input will fill the core to 100% if we allow it. So it makes no sense to allow other tasks to run on that core - including the sister LP in HT mode. On top of that remember always that one LP showing 100% and the other LP showing 0% is the only way the first LP has 100%. Otherwise it is shared and that means the same thing as reducing the core frequency to that main P3D task.

My CPU should show 100% for best results with P3D. Wrong! The CPU does not need to show 100%, and indeed is better that it does not. Instead look at the performance of individual cores, again remembering that a shared core giving one LP at 100% and the other at 40% - that 40% is robbing the first task. If the main task is at 100%, then when a more complex scene moves into our view as we turn, the fps slows down to accommodate it - variance of the fps shows micro-stutter. Avoid that by setting the sim to use only 90% of the main core.

That's just three.

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, ZKOKQ said:

Hi Steve, been following this thread since the beginning and have learnt lots about my system I never knew.

I have very much the same system as Ray, and I have been using Asus Dual Intelligent Processors 5, which makes me very nervous, and am worried I could be creating more of an issue using it.

I have HT=OFF in Bios, I am wondering if I should go back to basics, with HT=On and use power saving features of the CPU, example, I have Speed Step disabled and CC states ?

@Ray Proudfoot

Sorry for hijacking your thread, hope you don't mind.

Julian

I think that's all OK, but if you study my stuff you can use HT enabled with care, only enable enough LPs for P3D. The default power mode is basic enough to ensure reliable operation in all circumstances.

I always say get the P3D system right first before assessing the overclocking capability and other requirements or that may be work you need to do again.

So Ray, in short I'm saying your concern about OC is misplaced at this stage - simply put, it is premature to do that when you have not yet worked out the best setting for P3D and your associated apps (addons running alongside the sim).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Many thanks Mike, Westman and Steve. Appreciate the advice.

Have run DIP5 and it is running at 5.0GHZ on all cores. HT=Off

I have tried HT=On but DIP5 would try to o/c to 5.3 GHZ and very unstable. Will try with HT on again, this time limiting the o/c to 4.9 and see what happens.

Have locked my sim 30FPS and as I am running a 43" 4K monitor I have limited the refresh rate to 30HZ with VSync on. So far the results are very good. Still more scenarios to test.

Thanks Guy's.

Julian

• Like 2

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

3 hours ago, ZKOKQ said:

I have tried HT=On but DIP5 would try to o/c to 5.3 GHZ and very unstable.

Hi Julian,

Did you allow DIP5 to complete the exercise without any user interventions? The utility does push the overclock until it reaches the point where it fails. This is an intentional part of the procedure. It then automatically continues with a reduction of the overclock to the last known stable level. It’s important not to interrupt the running program at any point even though an apparent extended pause in the process might tempt you to do so.

Regards,

Mike

8 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Julian,

Did you allow DIP5 to complete the exercise without any user interventions? The utility does push the overclock until it reaches the point where it fails. This is an intentional part of the procedure. It then automatically continues with a reduction of the overclock to the last known stable level. It’s important not to interrupt the running program at any point even though an apparent extended pause in the process might tempt you to do so.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

No, never touched it or moved the mouse. Once complete, windows crashed.

With HT off, it ran fine, and have 5GHZ on all cores.

With HT On, maybe I should have limited the slider to 5.0 ?

Regards

Julian

46 minutes ago, ZKOKQ said:

Hi Mike,

No, never touched it or moved the mouse. Once complete, windows crashed.

With HT off, it ran fine, and have 5GHZ on all cores.

With HT On, maybe I should have limited the slider to 5.0 ?

Regards

Julian

With HT on the processor will get hotter so you have to set the OC less...

Not more ..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

11 hours ago, SteveW said:

P3Dv4, HT enabled 3960x 4.1GHz OC. Why not DL a copy of IFPro and find out just what I fly and where I go. It's an app that you use to actually prove the system performance and see just how much difference OC and AM's make for yourself. I'm not discussing the AM I use specifically because it is system dependent and some will say they tried it and it's no good for them, simply because it's not just about the AM, it's about what your system is doing elsewhere and what the bandwidth is capable of. You find the bandwidth or the number of cores required by timing how long your main airport takes to come up, and increase cores used until you see no more improvement to the loading speed. Also as I already said, avoid sharing the main task on its core with the second task, so naturally my AM has an '01' on the end.

A link to IFPro would help. I've timed how long it takes for my test scenario to load when launched via SimStarterNG. I have a profile specifically for this test that stops other executables like AS and EFB Server running.

With cores 0-3 only enabled it took 1m 55s. With all cores enabled it took between 1m 07s and 1m 16s. A significant difference.

I run the heavy stuff on a networked PC via WideFS. That's EFB client display, Radar Contact and Little Navmap. The executables that feed data to those take few resources.

The only other executable is Active Sky / ASCA which only updates weather every 15 mins.

Frame rates are not any different with limited cores and all cores running. I can't see any point tweaking AF as running on fewer cores extends loading times and makes no difference to performance.

In regard to overclocking I may take it another 0.1 or 0.2Ghz higher but that will be it. I want to fly, not tweak especially when improvements seen minor or nil. As you said in your reply no point sharing AF settings as all PCs are different.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
spelling

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather