Actually, the vid Scott posted is absolutely brilliant for those running FSX!

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

With FSX, VSYNC is the real-deal vertical sync in control of tearing, and we did half-refresh and other stuff to stabilise the flow.

Edited by SteveW

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

The vertical frequency denotes the natural response of that monitor is 50 - 76 Hz that's the frequency that VSync will look for to determine the time of the next frame which ultimately dictates the ~fps.

To expand on that a little. The 'natural response' is what the level of circuitry can handle. So the monitor might give you options like 75Hz or 60Hz for refresh rate in the monitor settings. Even so these are not precise, they are the result of what is effectively a raster operation that comes out simply 'very close' to the specified refresh frequency quoted in the monitor menus.

Edited by SteveW

By the way, thank you Scott for bringing that video to the discussion it is and was, extremely useful.

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SteveW said:

By the way, thank you Scott for bringing that video to the discussion it is and was, extremely useful.

Hi Steve,

Happy to help - I know it took a bit for me to get a grasp of the vsync concept...

I didn't realize things were handled differently in Full Screen vs Windowed mode - either - thanks for the explanation...

Regards,
Scott 

• Like 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

Unfortunately - you continue to mis-understand completely the technology of which we are speaking here Ray. I'm not stalking you - you are dismissive and mistaken.

I'm using your unfortunately worded quote as an example of why folk are not understanding the function of VSync. You might have it set =On but it's not coming into operation as I showed you - take it or leave it - it is how P3D operates that's all I can help you with. Unfortunately you're under the wrong impression for a very odd reason I can't even begin to think of.

I don't want your help any more Steve so please refrain from quoting my posts and being so rude.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I don't want your help any more Steve so please refrain from quoting my posts and being so rude.

That's completely irrelevant - i'm only someone showing you how it works - who I am and what our relationship is, has no meaning in this discussion.

1 minute ago, SteveW said:

That's completely irrelevant - i'm only someone showing you how it works - who I am and what our relationship is, has no meaning in this discussion.

I know how it bloody works!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I know how it bloody works!

That's also entirely irrelevant Ray!

I did say your "unfortunate wording" plays a part in obfuscating what we are talking about here. So in effect it looks like you're talking about something that's not right and that's the problem. I don't know what you know in fact,

2 minutes ago, SteveW said:

That's also entirely irrelevant Ray!

I did say your "unfortunate wording" plays a part in obfuscating what we are talking about here. So in effect it looks like you're talking about something that's not right and that's the problem. I don't know what you know in fact,

Steve. You're full of your own self-importance. One post isn't enough for you. You have to post everytime something comes into your head resulting in topics being bombarded with numerous posts when one would do.

I shall repeat my request. Please do not comment on any of my posts.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'll step out for a moment for my tea whilst the guys in charge handle the show...

What about checking the iiyama prolite x3272uhs-b1 - supports 60Hz 4k apparently - looks OK at a glance but it is a cheap one. Not recommending it myself but it gets good reviews in the magazines like PCPro

14 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I think you’ll be fine with a single monitor. My GPU’s load is around 30% in 1920*1080 and I’m getting fps in the 40s on the ground and it’s hovering around 60 airborne with VSync enabled.

I appreciate UHD is 4 times the pixels but I would still expect to get close to 50 in UHD airborne. I’ll know early next week.

I bet Ray's monitor is set @60Hz vertical, not less or even higher. It's a little too high for the current hardware, specifically CPU/RAM. I set mine at 30Hz therefore to enjoy better textures/autogen loading. Some say Nvidia Inspector/Profiler may help if you can't run your monitor @30Hz.

Cheers,

Edited by Dirk98
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirk98 said:

I bet Ray's monitor is set @60Hz vertical, not less or even higher. It's a little too high for the current hardware, specifically CPU/RAM. I set mine at 30Hz therefore to enjoy better textures/autogen loading. Some say Nvidia Inspector/Profiler may help if you can't run your monitor @30Hz.

Cheers,

It's a Sony TV Dirk so I suspect I'm stuck at 60. But the BenQ PD3200U does have a 30Hz option so I will definitely be trying that.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather