Hi all,

It’s been a few months since the new cards came out, and I was wondering if there’s enough information out there to confirm (or not) that a switch from a 1070 to a 2080 is a worthy upgrade for P3D. Other specs are in my signature.

I’m fairly happy with how it’s running now, but would like to push the GPU intensive settings further to the right. Same with using higher def clouds etc..

Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hopping onto this question as well... I'm using a 1060 for the moment and getting ready to upgrade.  I get the sense the 1080TI may still be the best value solution since Prepar3D and X-Plane are not yet making use of ray tracing.  Looking forward to seeing other's opinions on Richard's question.

The 1070 and even 1060 with 6GB of RAM are more than adequate for the suggested task.

Sticking to the question, that task is running P3D, not X Plane 11 or any other simulators or games.

The best value for money is the 1070Ti.

Edited by nolonger

If you have a 1080p screen, the 1080/RTX 2070 should be more than enough for anything P3D can throw at them. At 1440p/4k you'll want to look into the RTX 2080, if not the 2080ti.

I think finding Pascal cards is getting quite hard now, amazon's stock of 1080tis is quite low.

If you don’t mind parting with your hard earned money then a RTX2080ti Strix OC will certainly give you a performance boost. Boost vs money spent is always a challenge for the end user to figure out. But that said I went from a TitanXP to the said card (above) and noticed a nice boost especially in VR. Mainly in clouds and 3rd party airports. The TitanXP was an awesome card but I could feel it working hard in VR whereas the 2080 seems to be eating everything I throw at it. 

It’s a nice solid card and for me it was worth the dollars but that’s for you to decide. It’s hard to state a fps percentage gain (if any) but I’ve noticed I can hold fps more in those tough graphic demanding areas.

IM

40 minutes ago, flytrumpet767 said:

I forgot to mention my monitor is 1440.

The 2070 and 2080 are plenty in that case, you do not need the 2080ti for 1440p, it's really meant for 4K or 1440p ultrawide.

I personally have a 2080 and a 4k monitor and the sim runs like a dream, I think there's no reason to go for the ti in your case.

I would recomend you a 1080ti. But if by any chance your not able to find one,go for the 2080(not the Ti) So far a good replacement for a 1080ti in my eyes.

I guess the question is, is the extra 3GB of VRAM that the 1080ti has over the 2080 non ti a big advantage. Where I am, 2080s are cheaper and easier to find it seems.

1 hour ago, flytrumpet767 said:

I guess the question is, is the extra 3GB of VRAM that the 1080ti has over the 2080 non ti a big advantage. Where I am, 2080s are cheaper and easier to find it seems.

When I was trying to choose a graphics card for my new system I did briefly consider the 2080 as it would have Ray Tracing capability even though P3D couldn't currently take advantage of it.

I was advised the extra 3Gb of memory in the 1080 Ti was more important than ray tracing as it might be a long time before it comes into P3D.

Having been able to test my 1080Ti in P3D at 3840*2160 I can tell you that at 60Hz the GPU load is around 70% but swapping to 30Hz reduces that down to 30-35%. CPU 0 usage rarely hit 100% at 30Hz either.

A 2080 with an i7-6700K could be overkill if you only plan on running at 2560*1440. That's 30% more than 1920*1080. I would have thought a 1080 or maybe 1080Ti would be fine.

Thanks for this info Ray. I guess it's going to be between a 1080ti and 2080 no ti. Depending which is the better deal.

Richard,

I should also have asked if your monitor supports 30Hz. That will take the pressure off the system trying to maintain 60 assuming that's your monitor refresh rate. Make sure too you enable VSync and try the triple buffer option. That removed all the flashing I was getting.

1080Ti cards are becoming rare. Good luck.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

I have tried at 30Hz, but I’m having a hard time getting used to it. It seems incredibly slow. For the most part, I maintain close to 60fps everywhere, with moderate to high settings. I use no traffic whatsoever.

my monitor is a Dell 34 ultra wide 

I'm guessing you didn't fly 25 years ago when a friend with a new Pentium chip achieved 8fps in FS whatever it was and I was jealous. :wink:

You might get 60 when airborne but not even my system with no Ai can achieve 60 on the ground unless I reduce scenery settings to really low levels.

Remember, fluidity is better than high fps. Even at 15fps that is enough to successfully land Concorde with small adjustments required.

24 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm guessing you didn't fly 25 years ago when a friend with a new Pentium chip achieved 8fps in FS whatever it was and I was jealous. :wink:

You might get 60 when airborne but not even my system with no Ai can achieve 60 on the ground unless I reduce scenery settings to really low levels.

Remember, fluidity is better than high fps. Even at 15fps that is enough to successfully land Concorde with small adjustments required.

Well, my first sim was fs2000, on a super basic pc at the time...😀...I don’t even think I want to know how the FPS were...

Depending on the airports, I get between 45-60 on the grounds with vsync on. Even at FT Toronto. But it’s obviously with most gpu intesive settings quite low, or off altogether. That’s why I was hoping a new GPU with help boost those settings and maintain this performance. I have AA at 4SSAA, and it works well, as long as DL is off.

cheers

If that AA setting is in Nvidia Inspector you might want to rethink that. Usually the internal P3D AA settings will give better results.

21 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If that AA setting is in Nvidia Inspector you might want to rethink that. Usually the internal P3D AA settings will give better results.

I only used the internal P3D settings since V4. Seems to work pretty good.

29 minutes ago, flytrumpet767 said:

I only used the internal P3D settings since V4. Seems to work pretty good.

Is 4SSAA an option?

Yep, I have a choice from 2MSAA,4MSAA,8MSAA,2SSAA,4SSAA and 8SSAA

I use 4SSAA for day flights and 8MSAA for night with DL on.

Edited by flytrumpet767

I've been interested in this particular question myself... Like the OP I have a GTX1070 and my rig is overall running things quite well... or well enough, at least. However, I have noticed that the FPS gets hit hard sometimes even if at  cruise and there just happens to be a very complex weather scenario with lots of clouds. When this happened last time, cruising towards Moscow at FL340 in the PMDG 74F, I checked the task manager and noticed that while the CPU was at around 60-70%, the GPU was going crazy, apparently having a rough time dealing with the number of clouds. Intriguingly, whenever I'd look into any  direction where there weren't any clouds in view, the FPS would go right up. And later on, as I descended through the clouds and the lights of Moscow became visible, landing at UUEE, even with all the traffic, the performance was quite smooth.

All this to say that I *think* I might benefit from a GPU upgrade... Frankly, my biggest interest is in the 1080ti because of the extra VRAM. Now with 4.4 enabling tetcure and scenery loading far off into the distance, having more VRAM seems particularly useful.

In addition, I like pretty things... My sliders are typically set to high, or very high. Richard mentioned FT Toronto: here I currently get 17-18 FPS depending on where I was pointing the nose of the aircraft (PMDG 737). It'd be nice if the performance at this airport was a little better, say ~24-25FPS. Overall I'd say that 17-20 FPS is pretty typical for me for the large hubs, with some exceptions.

Any opinions in addition to what was discussed here before? Haven't seen too many opinions about increasing the VRAM per se, so if anybody has any particular advice about that, that would be helpful.

• Upvote 1

Well, for better or worse, I went ahead and ordered a 2080. I’m also going to give vr a try, so I guess it made upgrading even more attractive. We’ll see how it goes.

9 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

Let us know what your experience is!

I will. It will be paired with a 9700k, should be a decent upgrade for sure.