Sign in to follow this  
Branimir

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error: Is there a solution?

1 hour ago, Aweless said:

Ok. i am feeling really bad anything related to this error. but if your card is new and still under warranty

Unfortunately, that has been suggested before to this member by many and not a solution.  If you look in our CTD Forums (pinned topics), you will see many posts by Cj and he wants to overclock his GPU because he paid for it and it is high end and refuses to allow this error to stop him for using his "powerful" GPU with higher settings and it is only the fault of LM and they need to fix their program immediately.  There is no solution for him and there never will be one.  I have worked with him for a long time and I am finished wasting my time.  Just let him continue to blame LM for his woes.  I get more and more upset reading his issues over and over again to different people who all tell him the same thing and his only response is mostly, "sadly, this didnt work for me".

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Unfortunately, that has been suggested before to this member by many and not a solution.  If you look in our CTD Forums (pinned topics), you will see many posts by Cj and he wants to overclock his GPU because he paid for it and it is high end and refuses to allow this error to stop him for using his "powerful" GPU with higher settings and it is only the fault of LM and they need to fix their program immediately.  There is no solution for him and there never will be one.  I have worked with him for a long time and I am finished wasting my time.  Just let him continue to blame LM for his woes.  I get more and more upset reading his issues over and over again to different people who all tell him the same thing and his only response is mostly, "sadly, this didnt work for me".

My suggestion isn't aimed on a specific person so think wide there are many people reading this forum and find their answers for their own questions by reading these threads. I know one thing very clearly when it comes to p3d. it doesn't matter how fast you run your gpu as long as you can't keep your system balanced you will get errors one way or another. So bottleneck must be minimized if you want your sim work more stable, or minimize the resource amount to pass it easier thru bottleneck. Think about it once you launch the simulator it loads up the entire world in to your system and process it. 

Any system preparing for overclocking should be run at moderate or preferably default settings at first until the system has been bedded in and confidence in the reliability has been ascertained. Putting in anything that alters the sim should be avoided as well. Systems not prepared carefully  in this way are risky. P3D fills every corner of the PC and will surely find any problems in that machine.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

11 minutes ago, Aweless said:

Think about it once you launch the simulator it loads up the entire world in to your system and process it.

I understand what you are saying and that's great you are trying to help others that might be having this issue.  FYI, P3D does not load up the entire world when you start it up.  I think it is something like a 300 mile or less radius that is loading depending on what you have installed.  Photoscenery will load no matter where you are located in the world so you do not want to have very much photoscenery loaded that you will not be using in your flight plan.  The default scenery does not load worldwide.  Orbx/FTX stuff does not load unless you are near it.  Anything in the Scenery/World/Scenery folder will load.  Anything in the Addon Scenery folder will load unless disabled.  If you want to see what exactly is loading, set up Process Monitor as suggested on page 18 of the AVSIM CTD Guide.  This will only load P3D and P3D addons.  You can then see exactly what is loading during the flight.  Of course, weather and AI is loaded as flight plans have to be enabled worldwide but this is nothing.  There really is not much placed on your CPU/GPU if you configure your sim properly for your flight plan.

I once did a flight from Chicago to St Louis with only scenery covering the flight plan enabled.  I was shocked to see Orbx/FTX scenery objects loading in California and the Pacific Northwest.  Upon further research, I found these .bgl's in the scenery/world/scenery folder that Orbx installers placed in these folders.  Still, it was minuscule in comparison to photoscenery I might have accidentally kept enabled in Europe. 

• Like 1

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'd have open Firefox on my second monitor and turn a youtube or twitch stream on and get this error on my computer I do not have an up to date computer hardware build so I do not run anything not needed for p3d anymore not even pfpx once p3d starts anymore.

Edited by Boeing or not going
  • Like 1

I got the DEVICE HUNG again! This time no overclock on a brand new 2080. The plane was parked after completing the flight. I was in the cockpit in VR and had alt-tabbed out to Chrome browser on the virtual desktop to type my logbook up in Chrome sheets app. P3D went DEVICE HUNG but the video driver was unaffected (I know because I was interacting with Chrome in the virtual desktop with the headset on and the video driver functioned perfectly no interruption to my VR experience while P3D went DEVICE_HUNG). With headset still on (which is still using the GPU) I started MSI afterburner on the virtual desktop and noticed that when P3D reported hung, the core clock on the 2080 had throttled back to 1515MHz when I wanted it boosted to 1830MHz as it was during the whole two hour flight. The GPU temps, CPU i7700k temps all systems running fine when the DEVICE_HUNG was reported. GPU usage was probably 50% and CPU core 0 wasn't even pegged at 100% the other cores were basicallly idle.

There could be something in the theory that we have to stop the clock throttling down into idle with P3D if we are going to interact with desktop apps while the sim is running.

One thing for sure, it is possible for P3D to report DEVICE_HUNG when the device has not hung.

EDIT: from reading other peoples reports, it can be related to when there is more than one monitor. VR uses three monitors. It uses flatscreen monitor and one display for each eye.

Edited by glider1

4 hours ago, glider1 said:

I got the DEVICE HUNG again! This time no overclock on a brand new 2080. The plane was parked after completing the flight. I was in the cockpit in VR and had alt-tabbed out to Chrome browser on the virtual desktop to type my logbook up in Chrome sheets app. P3D went DEVICE HUNG but the video driver was unaffected (I know because I was interacting with Chrome in the virtual desktop with the headset on and the video driver functioned perfectly no interruption to my VR experience while P3D went DEVICE_HUNG). With headset still on (which is still using the GPU) I started MSI afterburner on the virtual desktop and noticed that when P3D reported hung, the core clock on the 2080 had throttled back to 1515MHz when I wanted it boosted to 1830MHz as it was during the whole two hour flight. The GPU temps, CPU i7700k temps all systems running fine when the DEVICE_HUNG was reported. GPU usage was probably 50% and CPU core 0 wasn't even pegged at 100% the other cores were basicallly idle.

There could be something in the theory that we have to stop the clock throttling down into idle with P3D if we are going to interact with desktop apps while the sim is running.

One thing for sure, it is possible for P3D to report DEVICE_HUNG when the device has not hung.

EDIT: from reading other peoples reports, it can be related to when there is more than one monitor. VR uses three monitors. It uses flatscreen monitor and one display for each eye.

Yep..alt-tabbing seems to be a triggerer, well at least in my case and yours 😞

5 hours ago, glider1 said:

Have you noted the time of error when occurred? i bet there is a log that indicates to: ''display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered'' go to event viewer and look at windows logs/system there must be a warning related to nvlddmkm when the sim got device hung error.  After the creator update no more messages appear related to a faulty driver in older days it would go blue screen now windows by passes many errors we don't recognize.

Edited by Aweless

12 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I understand what you are saying and that's great you are trying to help others that might be having this issue.  FYI, P3D does not load up the entire world when you start it up.  I think it is something like a 300 mile or less radius that is loading depending on what you have installed.  Photoscenery will load no matter where you are located in the world so you do not want to have very much photoscenery loaded that you will not be using in your flight plan.  The default scenery does not load worldwide.  Orbx/FTX stuff does not load unless you are near it.  Anything in the Scenery/World/Scenery folder will load.  Anything in the Addon Scenery folder will load unless disabled.  If you want to see what exactly is loading, set up Process Monitor as suggested on page 18 of the AVSIM CTD Guide.  This will only load P3D and P3D addons.  You can then see exactly what is loading during the flight.  Of course, weather and AI is loaded as flight plans have to be enabled worldwide but this is nothing.  There really is not much placed on your CPU/GPU if you configure your sim properly for your flight plan.

I once did a flight from Chicago to St Louis with only scenery covering the flight plan enabled.  I was shocked to see Orbx/FTX scenery objects loading in California and the Pacific Northwest.  Upon further research, I found these .bgl's in the scenery/world/scenery folder that Orbx installers placed in these folders.  Still, it was minuscule in comparison to photoscenery I might have accidentally kept enabled in Europe. 

Are you saying that disable any scenery remains out of our planned route? is there any tutorial about this what should be disabled and what shouldn't so the simulator won't load any unused scenery in cache? And what the simulator and pc would have profit of doing so? As far as i know the simulator loads up everything but unused objects remains compressed in memory till we reach a certain point or mile by mile the simulator decompresses the compressed textures as they step in range. 

47 minutes ago, Aweless said:

Are you saying that disable any scenery remains out of our planned route? is there any tutorial about this what should be disabled and what shouldn't so the simulator won't load any unused scenery in cache? And what the simulator and pc would have profit of doing so? As far as i know the simulator loads up everything but unused objects remains compressed in memory till we reach a certain point or mile by mile the simulator decompresses the compressed textures as they step in range. 

The only scenery that loads at startup and during the flight is what is surrounding you UNLESS the scenery is considered photoscenery.  Now, I'm sure there is an undetailed "world" that is loaded but the only things loaded are around you.  If you want to see for yourself what is loading, download Process Monitor - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon , start P3D up to the setup screen or just start P3D, open Process Monitor and click on the filter tab.  Where it says "Architecture", open up and click on Process Name and then move over to the blank space and click on it and locate Prepar3D.exe.  Add it to the list of processes below.  Uncheck all processes except Prepar3D.  Click OK.  You should only be seeing P3D processes.  Go back to Filter and save it as P3DV4.  Now, you can start up Process Monitor, load the saved filter and you can then start up P3D and you will see what is loading at Startup, then after you set up a flight and click on Fly Now, you will see what is loading at 6%, 10%, etc.  Once loaded, you will see what is loading around you as you fly.  Fun stuff!

• Like 1

Submit News to AVSIM

I should add that FSDT stuff will show up but it is just the .cfg for that area and not the actual bgl's for the airports (or at least that's all I am seeing).  I just did a flight from Reagan National to FlightBeam's KIAD and KIAD did not load until I neared it.  When you finish and want to review your Process Monitor log, you click on the magnifying glass in the menu or click Ctrl+E when Process Monitor is highlighted.  Then you can sit back and review everything loaded.

Maybe this program will also tell you what was being loaded when you get the DXGI Error.  It loads thousands of objects a second but you can probably get a good idea as it is usually loading AI or an aircraft for several seconds.

Submit News to AVSIM

27 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Maybe this program will also tell you what was being loaded when you get the DXGI Error.  It loads thousands of objects a second but you can probably get a good idea as it is usually loading AI or an aircraft for several seconds.

Ok. Now i am into it. But one question i have read in CTD guide that running process monitor more than 60 mins can cause another crash because file size getting larger as the time pass. Can i save the log to another drive and will this prevent any crash caused by process monitor? 

You can run Process monitor from any drive you want and the log will be saved in that folder on that drive.  I'm getting ready to update the guide and will make some major modifications to the Process Monitor information.  I did not say the log will cause the crash as the log only gets every large and, if you do not have a large HDD/SSD, you might want to be careful as it will grow in size by 8 GB's in around an hour.

Submit News to AVSIM

in 17 minutes 1.5 gb of data logged that's crazy to trace the seed of the issue so lets hope dxgi comes less than in an hour. happy ghost bustings 🙂

8 minutes ago, Aweless said:

in 17 minutes 1.5 gb of data logged that's crazy to trace the seed of the issue so lets hope dxgi comes less than in an hour. happy ghost bustings 🙂

Can be frustrating to chase, sometimes it can even be a driver version... Or sometimes the insane amounts of objects loaded to the GPU bus...Hope you will find it...

André