Sign in to follow this  
Lenny777

Recommendations for best GA twin turbo prop or Piston

5 minutes ago, StewartH said:

Going a little from memory here:  Set your altitude with the knob(s) on the right hand side.  Then click the ARM button just above that knob.  Then click on the UP button to set your VS, vertical speed.  When you're already at your set altitude and want to ascend or descend, set your new altitude, then press the ALT button, then the UP or DN buttons, depending on if you're ascending or descending. 

Yeah the ARM button wasn't engaging that's why I was wondering. Also the other Bendix systems you usually had to set the altitude and arm it then click the right knob to set your verticle climb. This is different. I've got it leveled off at altitude though.

This is a great recommendation. 

Edited by Lenny777

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

3 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

Yeah the ARM button wasn't engaging that's why I was wondering. Also the other Bendix systems you usually had to set the altitude and arm it then click the right knob to set your verticle climb. This is different.

As far as I can tell, this is the correct method of setting your altitude.  The A2A C182 is operated in exactly the same way.  The vertical climb is set by the UP or DN buttons, not by the knobs.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

7 minutes ago, StewartH said:

As far as I can tell, this is the correct method of setting your altitude.  The A2A C182 is operated in exactly the same way.  The vertical climb is set by the UP or DN buttons, not by the knobs.

No I agree. The large knob only crontroled whether you got in alt mode or in vertical mode. Once there the vertical  was set with the UP/DN buttons. Then once set clicking the big button again put you back in alt mode.

Edit:  Helps to read.lol. The ALT button toggles between altitude hold and verticle speed!

Edited by Lenny777
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Sounds like you're good to go, Lenny.  The more you fly this bird, the more you'll like it.  Guaranteed!

Edited by StewartH
  • Like 1

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

2 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

That aircraft(The Duke) is far and away the best twin Turbo anywhere

100% agree 👍 . Hoping (expecting) the new DA62 to be the same quality.

David Porrett

Turboprops are broken i P3D, so if you want to enjoy a descent turboprop your only choice is the Majestic Q400 (which uses external engine simulation etc). For twin GA I would recommend Milviz. For all other GA single engine props, without no doubt A2A. Personally I only fly A2A, PMDG and Majestic in P3D. With Milviz as an occational exception to this rule.

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

3 minutes ago, NorwegianAviator said:

Turboprops are broken i P3D

Quite a few RW turboprop pilots do find various turboprops in FSX/P3D descent/acceptable. IMO the turboprops are less 'broken' than the piston engine mixture simulation in FSX/P3D.

• Like 1

Check the Carenado Shrike AC500S or the Turbocommander 690B. Both are old GA airplanes, but very well modeled and interesting.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Always worth a look if you want a decent turboprop twin, is Flysimware's Cessna 441 Conquest ll with its very accurate simulation of the Garrett/Honeywell TPE 331 and its associated quirks.

As for the Vertx DA-62, until release it's an unknown quantity, although chances are it'll be very good and probably worth the wait. However, whether a DA-62 fits the OP's criteria is another matter, since they were asking about a turboprop, so one assumes a nice turn of speed is part of the requirements. As nice as the DA-42 and larger DA-62 aeroplanes are, they aren't anywhere near as fast as turboprop, although they are certainly interesting, in being powered by diesel engines.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

34 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Quite a few RW turboprop pilots do find various turboprops in FSX/P3D descent/acceptable. IMO the turboprops are less 'broken' than the piston engine mixture simulation in FSX/P3D.

I certainly find the ones I have installed to be acceptable. I have in no particular order of preference the Carenado Cheyenne II and TBM 850, Majestic Dash 8 Q400, plus several others, and they all fly and function just fine for me.

1 hour ago, FDEdev said:

I agree with you that the piston engine simulation is broken and full of bugs (leaning bug, mp/rpm bug etc). But turboprops are much worse, so far away from reality that to me they're not flyable. You cannot fly a bumpy approach in a turboprop in P3D with a such a non responding and unprecise torque response. I agree that the Majestic Q400 is excellent. But they use external simulation. In real life the torque response is fast and precise, you don't have to sit there and wait for the torque you have requested.

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

6 minutes ago, NorwegianAviator said:

But turboprops are much worse, so far away from reality that to me they're not flyable. You cannot fly a bumpy approach in a turboprop in P3D with a such a non responding and unprecise torque response. I agree that the Majestic Q400 is excellent. But they use external simulation. In real life the torque response is fast and precise, you don't have to sit there and wait for the torque you have requested.

Since P3Dv2.3 you can adjust turboprop engine response to your liking and even achieve realistic slow engine starts without any torque or RPM spikes.

No need for an 'external' simulation to address these items.

I almost forgot about the F1 king air - that's a lovely add-on!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Just now, FDEdev said:

Since P3Dv2.3 you can adjust turboprop engine response to your liking and even achieve realistic slow engine starts without any torque or RPM spikes.

No need for an 'external' simulation to address these items.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Have also tried it on a few planes, with mostly good results. Much closer to reality when it comes to startup with this tweak. However, this is far from the only issue with turboprop simulation in P3D. Beta range is one area that needs to be improved.

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12