Sign in to follow this  
pracines

Orbx P3D 4.4 and NO SEASONS!

I generally only fly in Spring or Summer, so paying extra for seasonal textures that I would probably not use would be a waste of meagre resources :smile:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I generally only fly in Spring or Summer, so paying extra for seasonal textures that I would probably not use would be a waste of meagre resources :smile:

Good thing you and others have many other sims and possibilities that accommodate: 

FS3 & FS4 are some older ones, AeroFly 2 & XP are newer ones. And you can always set the season in FSX or P3D. You are all set.😁

Now, what about those who do want seasons, will you and others who don't care about seasons, just say "tough luck"? I don't think you and others would be so cruel and uncaring for our needs.🧐

Big (actually, gigantic-enormous) picture stuff.🙂

I was simply stating my personal preferences, Paul. I have no need for seasonal variations, but I have no objection to anyone else wanting them.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I've been looking forward to TE UK hugely since its announcement but like others I'm very disappointed that the biggest USP (for me) - multi-seasons - will now not even not be an option. I have a big investment in Horizon / ES scenery for the UK & Ireland and would be willing to pay a similar amount (£hundreds) for a product that fully exploited current technical capabilities. I want to buy the best - I don't like the suggestion that I should be happy with something because someone else is, or what sort of flying I should like.

I appreciate the many commercial pressures that ORBX must be forced to consider when making decisions such as this, but intangibles like reputation and customer perception also hit financial bottom-lines so I hope a way will be found to smooth ruffled customer feathers. Rational explanations alone don't always scratch where it itches.

Yes, I will buy this one because it's my home patch, but it's not what I had expected to be buying and that disappointment may well affect my future buying decisions. Absolutely not a threat - I love other ORBX stuff - but the bubble has deflated somewhat.

Stuart

• Upvote 1

I’ll have to dig around on the Orbx forums but I am pretty sure JV has been on record that GB would be summer only for about 9 months now, after it was brought up by customers following the TE Netherlands release. So this is not some sudden change of mind by him as people are perceiving.

FWIW I don’t need seasons since I only fly VFR in summer and I would actually prefer smaller produc download and disk sizes versus another 650GB of seasons baggage I don’t want/need.

I think the most salient comment in this whole topic is the one about Google. When Google Earth/Maps goes multi seasonal then we know the tech has matured to offer that to us simmers.

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I was simply stating my personal preferences, Paul. I have no need for seasonal variations, but I have no objection to anyone else wanting them.

This is what you said:

5 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

so paying extra for seasonal textures that I would probably not use would be a waste of meagre resources

...and you are commenting in a topic specific to P3D4.4 and a specific product for P3D4.4. If you call it a "waste" in P3D4.4 then this implies that I and others are calling for waste. That becomes more than just a personal preference to you, it becomes an announcement that what we want is wasteful. To prevent this, you should have originally said "a waste of YOUR meagre resources". But anybody could have surmised that you meant ours or Orbx resources. That's why I replied what I did. Of course you are free to have a personal preference, but its important that you make that clear, and I'm glad my response clarified the record.👍

For the record, I'm glad that you are fiscally responsible.:smile:

For the record, I'm glad that you are fiscally responsible.:smile:

Thank you. I am already planning the bank robbery that will provide me with access to the necessary funds :laugh:

• Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

19 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Technology is going to evolve, DX11/12 supports much better compression formats such as BC6H/BC7 with HDR support and significantly reduced file sizes AND accelerated support from DX11/12 capable hardware.  However, P3D "currently" does NOT support BC6H/BC7 compression, that will have to change in order to make seasonal PR more accessible to the average flight simmer.  Of course this means a recompile of scenery into this format and it's NOT backwards compatible with FSX (the ball and chain).

For example a JPG that is 1024 x 1024 and 2.4MB file size ... turn that into a .DDS with BC7 it's 630KB.  That's about 4X smaller file size and that' compared to a JPG ... so a 4/5 season package that would be 800GB with the "older" method of BGL generation could be 200GB without any loss of image quality AND the benefit of hardware acceleration on the GPU side.

I've pushed for LM to support BC6H/BC7 ... I do just about every Beta cycle, probably annoying them to no end, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the future.

Cheers, Rob.

Keep pushing LM Rob, your efforts are greatly appreciated.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

51 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Thank you. I am already planning the bank robbery that will provide me with access to the necessary funds :laugh:

Chris PM me your address - I'll send that 7700K and Maximus IX mobo your way... ;)

• Upvote 2

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

I am already planning the bank robbery that will provide me with access to the necessary funds

Invest in an education or something that will get you to "access to the necessary funds", or invest in the stock market.  However, I would have zero input on what to invest in with the current market as it's extremely chaotic and volatile, I don't even wanna look at my Schwab accounts in this market (yo-yo) ... about the only recommendation I could make is don't invest in bitcoin or any of those other valueless electronic currencies (contrary to some predictions they are NOT going to make a big come back).  But the old adage that money and power doesn't bring happiness is very true, life is much like our PC hardware and simulators, find the balance. 🙂

Happy New year.

Cheers, Rob.

3 hours ago, fta2017 said:

...I think the most salient comment in this whole topic is the one about Google. When Google Earth/Maps goes multi seasonal then we know the tech has matured to offer that to us simmers.

I'm not sure that is a legitimate statement.  The technology is there.  Why would Google do it?  It doesn't align with their business model for that service.  They could get satellite imagery of whatever season they want, it is a cost / benefit factor that they have decided does not make sense.  Whereas for ORBX, and what we do as simmers, I think it is part of a business model.  It's been stated several times that having seasons is something people desire.

It's unfortunate that they have decided to to this, and mask it behind a size for download reasoning.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

7 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

....... life is much like our PC hardware and simulators, find the balance. 🙂

Happy New year.

Cheers, Rob.

....o man, that is sooooooooo true, thank's for putting this out.

Wish you a happy new year, Rob, and beatific flightsim sessions 😉