Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Brighter patches in terrain textures

Recommended Posts

My short test flights at dawn in P3D v4 have revealed an issue with the terrain textures. I use the Horizon VFR Photographic Scenery, and I have noticed that the terrain textures underneath and closely surrounding my plane when in flight are brighter than the adjacent textures. It seems to be related to the higher resolution terrain textures being loaded as I move towards them.....and it also seems to be related to the position of the Sun (which is generally rising in that darker layer of haze near the horizon at the time of my flights). These "brighter" textures are generally visible a short distance ahead of my plane when I am flying towards the Sun at this time of the day, but do not seem to be visible if I am flying away from the Sun.

Has anyone else seen anything like this in P3D v4? I have tried deleting the shaders, but that has not solved the problem.

Edited by Christopher Low

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It is probably worth noting that I am also using REX4 Texture Direct with Soft Clouds Enhanced Edition.

Share this post


Link to post

Nobody else seeing issues like this? I can report that further observations have ruled out the "high resolution terrain textures directly around the aircraft", as lighter squares are being rendered further away at times. They always appear when I am flying towards the Sun just after sunrise, but are not really visible from the cockpit if I am flying in the opposite direction.....

Share this post


Link to post

This is really interested Chris, as I have noticed, and I'm sure it's not my imagination, certain textures that appear over-exposed. They tend to be bright areas within a texture and always appear to be photoscenery. Deleting and reinstalling the shaders seems to have little effect. I use Envshade and I thought this was the culprit originally, so I tried uninstalling it, which alleviated the issue, then over time, all of a sudden, I see the issue reappear! Go figure!

Edited by Rockliffe

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

Shader Addon or HDR settings?

As I say Joe, shader addon is Envshade and I don't use HDR.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't use any shader addons, and HDR lighting is enabled (although I have the brightness and colour down to 0.40 to try and mask some of the colour saturation problems in the Horizon VFR Photographic Scenery of England and Wales).

Edited by Christopher Low

Share this post


Link to post

I am also experiencing this. With FTX Ireland from Orbx I use FTX Vector and global with the frozen water in winter option turned off. It is like bright large squares are appearing at night where there are no lakes or water. I thought it could be snow but the surrounding areas do not have any snow, but then again P3D can be funky like that in the winter. 

I only started to notice it since updating to 4.4, I am also wondering if it has to do with the new ambient moon lighting LM added into 4.4?..

Share this post


Link to post

4.4 was made for PR. The way PR loads in 4.4 over 4.3 is like night and day.

Edited by Nyxx

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, shamrockflyer said:

I only started to notice it since updating to 4.4

Sure, me too.

Share this post


Link to post

This is what I am experiencing, with no shader mod and a reinstall of the default shader... something is amiss. 

2019-1-18-15-32-35-249.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/11/2019 at 1:55 PM, Christopher Low said:

My short test flights at dawn in P3D v4 have revealed an issue with the terrain textures. I use the Horizon VFR Photographic Scenery, and I have noticed that the terrain textures underneath and closely surrounding my plane when in flight are brighter than the adjacent textures. It seems to be related to the higher resolution terrain textures being loaded as I move towards them.....and it also seems to be related to the position of the Sun (which is generally rising in that darker layer of haze near the horizon at the time of my flights). These "brighter" textures are generally visible a short distance ahead of my plane when I am flying towards the Sun at this time of the day, but do not seem to be visible if I am flying away from the Sun.

Has anyone else seen anything like this in P3D v4? I have tried deleting the shaders, but that has not solved the problem.

Is this what you're seeing to Chris... 

 

2019-1-18-15-32-35-249.jpg

2-1.jpg

Edited by Rockliffe

Share this post


Link to post

Your screenshots seem to show an airfield with a brighter base image than the surrounding terrain, and cloud shadows?? I have attached a screenshot here (sorry for the low brightness level), and you can see a few "squares" are a brighter shade than the rest of the scenery.

uf8qyvfccvilaiy6g.jpg

 

Edited by Christopher Low

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

Your screenshots seem to show an airfield with a brighter base image than the surrounding terrain, and cloud shadows?? I have attached a screenshot here (sorry for the low brightness level), and you can see a few "squares" are a brighter shade than the rest of the scenery.

uf8qyvfccvilaiy6g.jpg

 

It's all very odd, and something I have only witnessed since V4.4. I've opened a thread over on the P3d forum if you feel like joining in Chris.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

No, I have never lived in Southport.

Ah, thought it was a long shot. A good friend of mine lived there when I was a kid 😊

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this