Sign in to follow this  
louis8m

Manual flying the 777-200

I've been flying this bird for maybe 6 months or so and every thing always went to plan --disconnect the auto about 1,000 feet on final take the rest in by hand and all is good . Then one day i had to do a miss so decided to do it by hand and that's  when i found out real quik  that this is a different bird and if you don't  have your  yoke nailed down to the desk with 6 inch spikes , pushing and pulling  isn't gonna do any good at all. Searching and reading the introduction from PMDG there's a real heavy topic on how much work went in to this to get it right, then i watched a Froogle video to learn some more . So i decided to do some circuits around Calgary to get the feel of this fly by wire , and i'm a long way from getting the full hang of it .   

Louis Massicotte ----Alberta 

How hard did you pull on the yoke in the first place. I've flown at least two missed approaches in the Boeing 747-400 and never had the issue of the yoke coming off the desk.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

The FBW on the 777 never felt quite right to me.  Its supposed to autotrim in a turn so you dont need back pressure but it doesnt seem to do that at all.  

• Upvote 1

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

Well of course i was having fun and exaggerating some but when i disconnected the auto the yoke wasn't moving and  whole lot different then flying the the 737 NGX manually  . After reading it seems like you put the yoke where you want it and then trim but Kevin maybe your 747 is different  , but i was hoping to see some one with a post on flying this thing by hand and never seen any . I did set the FBW in the FMC options but i'll keep trying it amd see if i can get the hang of . 

Kevin, look at the video by Froogle "PMDG 777 Impressions "and about 5 minutes in to it he gets into he explains about this fly by wire thing .

Did you press the TOGA button twice for the GA? The 777 won't give you any problems climbing out very fast especially with a light fuel load... 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

1 hour ago, louis8m said:

No i didn't Rus but i'll try it .

Press once for GA power (not actually full power) get your gear up and toga flaps set (20 from memory in the 777) then when trimmed press again for full power. 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

On 3/1/2019 at 8:18 PM, Pilot53 said:

The FBW on the 777 never felt quite right to me.  Its supposed to autotrim in a turn so you dont need back pressure but it doesnt seem to do that at all.  

I had problems with the fly by wire on the 777 because my yoke was making a very slight and not noticeable input. When I fixed that the fly by wire started working normally. 

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

I watched the Froogle Part 2 on this 777  called 'fly by wire '-- PMDG spent a lot of time getting it right ,so I'm still practicing, but its coming . 

The pitch control problems get worse if you don’t keep the 777 in trim as airspeed changes. PMDG programmed in a reduction in control authority as you diverge from trimmed speed so that you need to use more yoke input and therefore feel more spring force. Eventually you can be in a position where you get no elevator response to the yoke input. It was meant to replicate how the real aircraft feels but I think it just made hand flying harder because in the real aircraft control authority is never reduced. So it’s essential to stay in trim as you accelerate. Enabling the FBW trim speed indicator may help do this. 

Edited by kevinh

ki9cAAb.jpg

Thanks Kevin ,I'm using a Precision Flight Control high dollar yoke and it sure is a reduction in control and feeling the spring force.I did enable the FBW indicator .I like going into places with Orbz airports like Palm Springs and Monterey (KMRY) even  though that airport is not really suited for the 77 and disconnecting at 1,000 ft or so she's a different beast going in there.

It's helpful to read the corresponding section of the introductory manual and then enable the FBW indicator until you get the hang of it. Once I did that, my handflying skills significantly increased.

That said, I also think that handflying the PMDG 777 isn't exactly easy, probably more difficult than in reality.

I did read the intro and watch videos and understand it way more and getting braver at disconnecting the auto  early especially on long runways,.and like you say getting the hang of it