Sign in to follow this  
PapaRomeo

Coming back for flight simming

Hi all.

I have been away from flightsimming for severel years.
Last time, I used FSX with tons of addons.

I feel that FSX is outdated, and no longer the sim I want to use.
I have been looking at 2 new sims, Prepar3d and X Plane.

I have several saitek panels, and the pedals plus yoke, the ones almost all others have.
Ofcourse it would be nice to use that hardware again.
I care about graphics, realism, and a fairly userfriendly flightsim, i know simming isn't always easy, but i kinda growing tires of fooling around with ini files.
A LOT of that i did with FSX.
A little tweaking is ok, but the sim must be somewhat ready out of the box.

I am ok with spending some aditional money, but not over 200 dollars, IF I can awoid it.
But we all know how it is with flightsimming 🙂

So come with your input, help me get into simming again, tell me what's up and down on all this in 2019.
Thanks in advance.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

What's your current PC specs?

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Here 🙂

i7 7700k, 1080ti, 32gb ram, 512gb ssd and 3TB standard HD

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

That's a pretty solid PC and you will do fine with P3D or Xplane without sacrificing too many visual details.

Without getting into too many details, what kind of flying to you generally prefer - Airliners or smaller GA type ops?
Both sims are fine for each, but the needle favors P3D for the bigger jets an XP for the smaller.

XP offers a free demo. It will give you a great idea of what to expect.

P3D offers no such demo but you can sign up for a monthly nonrecurring developers license (for that new AI flightplan file you wish to develop) for $9.95

Hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

I normally go with the smaller GA types.
VFR and scenery goes hand in hand for me.

But sometimes I would probably do some IFR and Airliners, without the FMC.

I did have some good A2A for FSX, but it's not the most important anymore, it was years ago.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

I'd go with XP then.  It shines in the GA area and with Ortho it's free scenery 

There's some amazing non glass airliners like FJS 727 and 737 that you'll love too.

I also use P3D v4 and enjoy it for GA....but that can make buying add-ons difficult if you have a budget like me

Anyway for XP11, for airplanes I'd start with Hotstart TBM-900, VFlyte Air Twin Comanche, JustFlight Arrow.  There's some nice freeware at xplane dot org as well

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Upvote 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yeah, that TBM is nothing short of a work of art. I have always been the "heavy iron" armchair pilot but the TBM has changed that. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I was a heavy FSX user and have now moved to X-Plane. Its brilliant for GA and the default 737 is just amazing and follows simple user-generated flight plans. You access the plan through the FMC CDU but turst me its very easy as you are not doing any real-world level routing. 2 button presses and thats it! The default C172SP is also excellent. I highly recommend the incredible free Little Navmap too.

7 hours ago, PapaRomeo said:

What about the Saitek panels, would they work?

I had no issue with the Saitek yoke and throttle quadrant, so I can only assume the panels will work with XP.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

7 hours ago, PapaRomeo said:

What about the Saitek panels, would they work?

I don't have experience with these, but I think you need an extra free plugins to make them works : Xsaitekpanels