Sign in to follow this  
TravelRunner404

Frustrated with Setting Monitor to 30hz - An Alternative...

8 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Agree... do not have that program so cannot help.. other than saying that you can change the assignment using Task Manager.

If I figure it out I'll let you know 'for the future'.

Al

6 hours ago, bbuckley said:

Here's how I start my add on apps. I use affinity mask 253 in the P3D cfg so I start all these with hex FC to keep them off Core 0 (LP 0 & LP1).

Hide contents

start /B "" /AFFINITY FC /MIN "D:\User Programs & Data - Bruce\FSXFlight\FSXFlight.exe"
start /B "" /AFFINITY FC "C:\Program Files\REX Sky Force 3D for Prepar3D v4\rexskyforce.exe"
start /B "" /AFFINITY FC "E:\AS_P3Dv4\AS_P3Dv4.exe"
start /B "" /AFFINITY FC "D:\User Programs & Data - Bruce\Guru3D RivaTuner Statistics Server\RTSS.exe"
start /B "" /AFFINITY FC "E:\SPAD.neXt\SPAD.neXt\SPAD.neXt.exe"
start /B "" /AFFINITY FC "C:\Program Files\FSPS LTD\FFTF Dynamic P3Dv4\FFTF Dynamic P3Dv4.exe"

Hi,

As you can see from the posts above I have been struggling to set the AS_P3Dv4.exe affinity mask with a batch file code line similar to yours, but for some strange reason can not get it to work. I can set the affinity mask for 6 others addons, so I was wondering if you have actually checked to see if you are in fact able to set the mask for AS_P3Dv4.exe in this manner. If so, I'll press on to see if I can figure out what the problem is on my system.

Thanks,

Al

On 4/26/2019 at 5:12 AM, Riah069 said:

FPS locked at 30 FPS or 30hz etc etc induces stutters.

I have flown with this for the past two years and find it perfect. If you are experiencing stutters, have you ensured you have Vsync switch on in P3d? This will help enormously.

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

4 hours ago, ark said:

Hi,

As you can see from the posts above I have been struggling to set the AS_P3Dv4.exe affinity mask with a batch file code line similar to yours, but for some strange reason can not get it to work. I can set the affinity mask for 6 others addons, so I was wondering if you have actually checked to see if you are in fact able to set the mask for AS_P3Dv4.exe in this manner. If so, I'll press on to see if I can figure out what the problem is on my system.

Thanks,

Al

I just re-checked in Task Manager and it's properly setting the affinity for me. CPU 0 & 1 unchecked.  Of course my system has HT on. But E should work with HT off. You are running the bat prior to P3D of course. Are you checking the affinity in TM prior to launching P3D? Check both prior and after to see if there is a difference. What I'm thinking is AS_P3Dv4 may set or reset affinity if it has inserted code into the exe.xml or DLL.xml. That's my best shot... sorry.

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

2 hours ago, bbuckley said:

I just re-checked in Task Manager and it's properly setting the affinity for me. CPU 0 & 1 unchecked.  Of course my system has HT on. But E should work with HT off. You are running the bat prior to P3D of course. Are you checking the affinity in TM prior to launching P3D? Check both prior and after to see if there is a difference. What I'm thinking is AS_P3Dv4 may set or reset affinity if it has inserted code into the exe.xml or DLL.xml. That's my best shot... sorry.

Thanks for the info Bruce -- I'll keep trying to figure this out.

Al

17 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Agree... do not have that program so cannot help.. other than saying that you can change the assignment using Task Manager.

Hi Bert,

Turns out I need to run the batch file in Admin mode to get the Active Sky Affinity Mask to get set correctly. See the discussion here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/554124-cant-set-affinity-mask-for-active-sky/

Al

On 4/26/2019 at 12:18 AM, TravelRunner404 said:

Hey Guys,

I am not a huge fan of setting my monitor at 30hz because of the lag.  It frustrates me and for whatever reason, I find it noticeable and annoying.  Trying to do anything with my mouse is simply not anywhere near the same as when I have things set at 60Hz.  Obviously, 30hz, VSync TB, unlimited frames are the current gold standard.  Locking the sim at 25 FPS seems to be the second, but in my testing and research, I have found a great alternative, that I am very happy with.  I am aware that this topic has been debated ad nauseam so I did do some actual testing to try and back this up as a good alternative.  I am hoping a few people will try it out as well.

Aside from the mouse issues when doing the 30hz trick I noticed if my frames drop to even 25 the lag and long frames becomes a stutter fest slide show.  The 30hz trick to me seems to break down in demanding scenarios, so seeking an alternative was not all about the mouse.

What I did:

Riva Tuner Statistics Server (RTSS) - This program has come along way and in April 2019 I think people should try it out.  Reading on other gaming boards people have sworn by it as the gold standard for lag-free FPS limiter.  BlurBusters has even run high-speed cameras on the screen and proven it has the lowest lag of any FPS limiter including in-game limiters.  Granted they didn't test it with P3D but I found some overwhelming evidence that this is the best current option and it's constantly improving.  Download and install.

Next find your exact refresh rate to the .001 decimal using either of these two links:  https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate or https://www.vsynctester.com/

My monitor is 59.996.  Divide this number by 2 so in my case (59.996/2) = 29.998.  First, try the 29.998 (or your number divided by 2) but it's recommended to offset it by -.001 to -.003.  I settled at 29.996.

When you open RTSS you can't set the FPS limiter by 1,000th so you have to do it in the CFG File located at C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\Profiles - Find the Global file and open it with notepad or notepad++. 

Make sure RTSS is closed.  Find these two entries and change them to your framerate and the denominator to 1000:

[Framerate]

Limit=29996

LimitDenominator=1000

Now when you open RTSS you should see 29.996.  You don't need to do anything else with RTSS except make sure it's running when P3D is running.

Nvidia Control Panel - It's recommended that you turn on FAST sync.  I know there is a plethora of information and plenty of debate about this setting.  This was recommended by most of the posts I have read.  Does it work in borderless window fullscreen?  I don't know, I turned it on to get the results I did.  I don't think there is any accurate information on FAST sync in these boards and I am not going to pretend mine is correct, but with it on placebo effect or not, it was suggested and helps as far as I can tell.

P3D Settings - No Vsync, No  TB, however, I highly recommend locking your FPS at 60.  FFTF does not work if you have unlimited set.  It's ignored.  Rob Ainscough has been pretty adamant that this is what P3D has told him.  I have tested an FFTF of .90 on unlimited and the SIM shows no effect on FPS but if you set it to 60 or below your FPS will crash at FFTF .90.  My testing shows Rob is 100% correct that FFTF is ignored unless the FPS is locked at 60 or below.  I use dynamic FFTF from .01 to .19 on an AGL.  Works well, helps with autogen but it's not important to the RTSS/Fast Sync settings.

In the end with RTSS set at exactly 1/2 refresh rate for FPS and Nvidia Fast Sync on I got a much, much better experience in P3D.  It was smooth, my monitor was at 60hz and my mouse is silk across the screen.  When things drop to 25, 26 FPS I didn't even notice!  I did a test scenario at KAPA in dense overcast weather with some very heavy settings so I knew I would fluctuate from 24 FPS to 30 FPS.  Here are the FRAPS frame time results:

https://ibb.co/c1XjzbW - 30 HZ Vsync, TB - Typical long frames when I can't hold a perfect 30 FPS.  All over the place, but I will say, it seemed okay.  Choppy at times for sure, smooth at others.  What I usually get in P3D when things aren't wide open Iowa fields.

https://ibb.co/t2svrTg - RTSS - Fast Sync - Huge difference.  Not perfect but again this was a scenario where I wasn't going to hold 30, but nowhere near the mess that I got at 30 HZ. It felt much smoother and the graph doesn't lie.

Hope some of you are able to try this out.

After reading this thread several times I, now I tried it. I followed your description in every detail and RTSS limit shows 29.982 (as calculated with 0.002 offset), P3D TFR is set to 60, VSync and TB are off. Unfortunately it does not show any FPS limiting effect and frame rates goes up to 55. I also cannot find the NVidia "Fast Sync" option in NV control panel. Is this whole thing only for GSync monitors?

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

After reading this thread several times I, now I tried it. I followed your description in every detail and RTSS limit shows 29.982 (as calculated with 0.002 offset), P3D TFR is set to 60, VSync and TB are off. Unfortunately it does not show any FPS limiting effect and frame rates goes up to 55. I also cannot find the NVidia "Fast Sync" option in NV control panel. Is this whole thing only for GSync monitors?

You have two options with RTSS, you can use the fps limiter, or Scanline Sync X/2 option.  It is not for "Gsync monitors only"

What is Vsync set to in your nvidia profile?

Default is Fastsync, I prefer Application Controlled.

Bert

5 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

You have two options with RTSS, you can use the fps limiter, or Scanline Sync X/2 option.  It is not for "Gsync monitors only"

What is Vsync set to in your nvidia profile?

Default is Fastsync, I prefer Application Controlled.

Thank you Bert. I've set VSinc (NV CP) at Application Controlled and VSync (in P3D) on. Now RTSS limiter does its job. I'm not yet sure if it has any benefits but I am still experimenting. The main reason I'm doing this is to avoid late autogen appearance (= autogen popping in close distance). What FFTF value do you use?

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

8 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Thank you Bert. I've set VSinc (NV CP) at Application Controlled and VSync (in P3D) on. Now RTSS limiter does its job. I'm not yet sure if it has any benefits but I am still experimenting. The main reason I'm doing this is to avoid late autogen appearance (= autogen popping in close distance). What FFTF value do you use?

I use the Scanline Sync X/2 option in RTSS, with Vsync off in P3D, and FFTF Dynamic.

Bert

56 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I use the Scanline Sync X/2 option in RTSS, with Vsync off in P3D, and FFTF Dynamic.

If I do this, RTSS limiter has no effect. Only with concrete values (29.982  in my case) AND VSync (P3D) On does its job.  Scanline Sync X/2 does not reduce my frame rate, no matter Vsync (P3D) On or Off. Would you mind to post a picture of your RTSS settings? Did yo setup a profile for RTSS?

Edit: I found that my RTSS Goblal Profile has been corrupted. Uninstall/Reinstall ... now everything works.

Edited by Nemo
Problem solved

- Harry 

I tried to set Frame rate at 29996 and the divider at 1000. It was accepted in the cfg file but does not show in the RTSS control panel.

However, it must be working as my frames are around the 30 mark.

At the moment I can't tell the difference between this and /2.

Ian Harrison 

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.