Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

More AI planes with incorrect wingspans

I remember noticing a few months ago that one or two of my "heavy" AI planes were parking at gates that were too small for them. After checking to make sure that the parking radius at these gates was correct, I had a look at the wingspan definitions in the respective aircraft.cfg files.....amd noticed that the values were way too low. Well, I have just found another two after noticing additional parking irregularities. The wingspans of the Airbus A350-900 and A330F should be 212.4 and 197.9 feet respectively, but the values in my aircraft.cfg files for these two planes (FSPX A350 and TFS A330F) were 155.4 and 126.5!! :blink:

I am sure that someone mentioned a reason why this is done, but it really would be better to define the correct values, and let AFD file builders sort out the rest. I really do not want to see an A330 parked at a gate that is supposed to be for A32x and B737 planes!

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Interesting find. I'm a bit surprised, isn't FSPX payware, where we should expect correct values. I'm not aware of any reason why wingspan should be reduced, except for default airports perhaps.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

The FSPX A350 is freeware. I am not keen on paying for AI planes when perfectly good freeware ones are available.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I guess that is unavoidable, many AI planes have one or the other thing that is not 100% accurate. I once corrected all my AI planes according this list here: http://www.flightsim2004-fanatics.com/FlightSim/FSXWingSpanValues.htm

More annoying than slightly wrong wingspan is the fact that still many sceneries come with a very basic AFCAD that is totally word not allowed. Worst are those where every gate is assigned as "ramp GA large/medium/small". You then have to rely on somebody redoing it...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Whilst I am not generally a Prepar3d.cfg file "tweaker", I am always modifying other things.......

• AFD file parking spots/airline codes when I see AI planes parking in incorrect locations
  • AFD file taxiway designations when I hear spurious taxi instructions from ATC
  • AI plane callsigns when I hear something like "611, taxi to runway 27....."
  • AI plane wingspans when I see larger planes parking at inappropriate gates
  • texture statements in aircraft.cfg files when I see AI planes that are jet black (or have a weird "chrome" appearance)
  • Flightplans when significant updates are required, or real world airlines go bankrupt

It seems to be a never ending process!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Agreed, I finally bit the bullet and spent an hour going through all my AI cfgs to correct the wingspan value to match the real-world aircraft. 

I originally was using a guideline similar to the link posted above, but found that using actual values allows me to better control certain types within an airlines- for example there are frequent times where I want 773's to park in certain spots due to tail clearances to taxiways behind (HAAB is a good example). There is a 12' winspan difference between these two, so accounting for that in the AFCAD helps keep them out of parking that might be wide enough but too short for the AI to appear correctly. 

Can be tedious, but the real world values can help fine tuning AI to a level beyond just the airline code. 

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

On 5/12/2019 at 9:20 AM, AnkH said:

More annoying than slightly wrong wingspan is the fact that still many sceneries come with a very basic AFCAD that is totally word not allowed. Worst are those where every gate is assigned as "ramp GA large/medium/small". You then have to rely on somebody redoing it...

Aerosoft are notoriously bad at making good afcads

14ppkc-6.png