George8295

Orbx runway blurry

Posted (edited)

I think it's just how the scenery was made. Where they use photoreal textures for the whole apron including runway, which isn't as clear as just regular textures.

I've noticed it in some of their other older sceneries too. Supposedly it was done like that due to shortcomings in the sim which have since been fixed.

Edited by itsjase

That particular sort of blurring looks like low anisotropic filtering.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sethos1988 said:

That particular sort of blurring looks like low anisotropic filtering.

Yep, had the same thing happening at Queenstown. Increase the texture filtering to at least 8x.

Cheers guys

All of you were correct really. Think its how Orbx has made the scenery, but knocking up the filtering to 16x has improved it a lot. Still a bit blurry towards the end of the runway but definitely a lot better than it was

1 minute ago, George8295 said:

Cheers guys

All of you were correct really. Think its how Orbx has made the scenery, but knocking up the filtering to 16x has improved it a lot. Still a bit blurry towards the end of the runway but definitely a lot better than it was

You could try also forcing 16x within the Nvidia Control Panel, That is supposedly more effective than what the sim offers.

Photoreal is rendered at 512x512 whereas terrain textures are 1024x1024.  You can push photo to 1024x1024 in P3Dv4.5 by use the high textures option and adding the texture resolution exp = 10 tweak to the cfg but you need at least 8GB of VRAM to do this, preferably 11 GB (I use up to 10GB VRAM with my 1080Ti SLI).

2 hours ago, downscc said:

Photoreal is rendered at 512x512 whereas terrain textures are 1024x1024.  You can push photo to 1024x1024 in P3Dv4.5 by use the high textures option and adding the texture resolution exp = 10 tweak to the cfg but you need at least 8GB of VRAM to do this, preferably 11 GB (I use up to 10GB VRAM with my 1080Ti SLI).

Dan -- is your loading time increased with the texture res change?

2 hours ago, pgde said:

Dan -- is your loading time increased with the texture res change?

Sure, but loading time only happens once a session.  As long as P3D starts up in less than 3 min I'm okay.

18 hours ago, downscc said:

Sure, but loading time only happens once a session.  As long as P3D starts up in less than 3 min I'm okay.

Thanks!

Make sure you have anisotropic x16 filtering selected in P3D. That will cure it.