Sign in to follow this  
moggel

Localized ATC please

Gee, I kinda thought, hoped, maybe the different accents would appear in FSX. Had no clue it would be such a task. I can say that it is the reason I seldom fly outside of North America and the Caribbean. It just doesn't seem right to hear all American accents when you are getting clearance for a Varig 747 from RIO to MIA!I have only a couple payware add-ons, but I'm pretty sure I'd pop for this one if it was well done and reasonably priced.Scott

>> I would say it's "very difficult...">>Not difficult, just time consuming. Even if it took two whole>days to record/edit you could do a set for each continent in>about 2 weeks. Think it would add alot of value.It would take considerably longer than 2 days for a single voice set. Create a list of all phrases needed for one set, then time how long it takes you to read the entire list out loud once.Remember too, that pronunciation is important! ;)Then, there is the problem of finding the folks who have the "regional accent" you need, bringing them to your studio, and having them endure the recording session(s).If something appears to be "simple," that's likely because one hasn't considered all of the processes involved throughly... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Then by the middle of April you'll have your first set uplaoded for us, right?!!That will be great!!!Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Um Microsoft is pretty big right, they will already have staff working there with the regional accents ;)Assuming you work 8 hours per day, you can record/edit 976 files in two days at about one per minute, no problem.

If I did it myself I would have to charge like you guys ;)

Wow, now 2 days instead of 2 weeks! We can now look forward to your first set by this weekend!! Please let us know what the name of your file is going to be!!!Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Jim, I already estimated 2 days work and no it doesn't include overtime or thinking too much. A 2 weeks estimate is for all the continents. Hope this helps ;)

>Um Microsoft is pretty big right, they will already have>staff working there with the regional accents ;)>>Assuming you work 8 hours per day, you can record/edit 976>files in two days at about one per minute, no problem.I have to conclude from what you've "guesstimated" thus far that you have no real experience with either recording or editing of sound files.Without a doubt you've no experience at loop editing, nor the process of compiling the final voicepack.Keep in mind that you need 9 "complete sets" of voices/per region, for a total of 8,794 separate and correctly named .wav files, before you can even begin the process of setting the correct loop markers in each .wav file, and doing a final compile of the voicepak.

Fr. Bill    

I'm really surprised that - according to tdragger - MS thought there was no interest in localized ATC.If the FS team followed the discussions in the different FS fora closely over the past 5 years, they would have recognized, that localized ATS was definitely amongst the most wished features for MSFS since ATC was implemented the first time into MSFS (I thinnk it was in FS2002). Therefore I was pretty sure that FSX would feature this. At least different accents if not the different ATC procedures modelled worldwide.Wolfgang

>I'm really surprised that - according to tdragger - MS>thought there was no interest in localized ATC.That isn't precisely what he said... His comment was on the fact that apparently there wasn't enough interest for anyone to use the Voicepak SDK to develop new, regionalized content."Since I don't recall very many localized ATC voice pack add-ons being created my assumption is that there's not much interest in them."In simple terms...Provide the tool to do the job...No one uses the tool...Ergo, the conclusion that "there wasn't much interest." ;)I happen to disagree with that conclusion myself. Anyone who's actually downloaded and read the Voicepak SDK will discover quickly that the task just isn't as "simple and easy" as they might have thought... :-eek

Fr. Bill    

Guest jrobert

>In simple terms...>>Provide the tool to do the job...>>No one uses the tool...>>Ergo, the conclusion that "there wasn't much interest." ;)How about this... "Provide the RIGHT tools to do the job..."I'm sure that if the right tools were provided, there would be a greater interest in providing regional voicepack content. With the Voicepack SDK, the task takes far too long to do just one region. I've attempted to make regionalized voice content with the SDK with little success. I've had better luck using EditVoicePack (available at http://www.editvoicepack.com) at creating regionalized content. With that tool I can take specific chunks of sound from virtually any wav file found in the voicepack and piece it together to come up with new words or new accents.

8,794 wav files for a single pack??? :-eek Thats ridiculous. Theres no wonder why nobody has bothered so far.

>How about this... "Provide the RIGHT tools to do the job...">I'm sure that if the right tools were provided, there would be>a greater interest in providing regional voicepack content.>With the Voicepack SDK, the task takes far too long to do just>one region. I've attempted to make regionalized voice content>with the SDK with little success. I've had better luck using>EditVoicePack (available at http://www.editvoicepack.com) at>creating regionalized content. With that tool I can take>specific chunks of sound from virtually any wav file found in>the voicepack and piece it together to come up with new words>or new accents.That's an "apples vs. oranges" argument. Edit Voicepack, while certainly indispensible for any serious simmer, simply isn't a good tool for creating entirely new voices, which is what a true "regionalized voicepack" needs.Remember, we aren't talking only about new "phrases" or even individual "words," but rather are talking about "accents." We would need a "Francois," "Stephane," and "Heloise," perhaps to represent the French, as well as a "Fritz," "Hans," and "Gertrude" to represent the Germans... und so weiter. ;) Let's not forget the Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Indonesian, Australian, Indian, Arabic, and Spanish accents either! Even so, there still exists no mechanism in the sim itself to automatically "switch" voicepacks based on current aircraft position. Lacking such a feature, you would still be unable to hear specific "voices" as you fly through different country's airspaces...Until such a paradigm is introduced into the sim, we would be stuck with the unpalatable option to load a specific voicepack that would persist throughout the entire FS session, just like using VOZ scenery requires "physically" swapping entire texture "sets" does at the present time.

Fr. Bill    

>We would need a "Francois," "Stephane," and "Heloise," perhaps>to represent the French, as well as a "Fritz," "Hans," and>"Gertrude" to represent the Germans... und so weiter. ;) >Let's not forget the Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Indonesian,>Australian, Indian, Arabic, and Spanish accents either! ...and a Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic, Finnish...:( >Even so, there still exists no mechanism in the sim>itself to automatically "switch" voicepacks based on current>aircraft position. Lacking such a feature, you would still be>unable to hear specific "voices" as you fly through different>country's airspaces...Yea, to boil it down, THAT and a manageable SDK/tools is precicely what I'm asking for. With that in place I'd be happy to send my $'s whever they're requested to provide this thing.Cheers

Guest sssummer

I must say that I am very disappointed :( with the setiment that there is no interest in localized ATC accents. This is a HUGE immersion factor in the sim. I would think this is on almost everyone's wish list.