Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

16 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

Has it been mentioned that Dovetail Games are behind this new MSFS??  This article says they are, which is a dud right out of the gate. 

Tech Advisor

Very little chance that's true. Sounds like whoever wrote that article looked up that DTG licensed FSX and is assuming they are still in the mix.

None of the names we've seen so far are from DTG and MS isn't going to put it's name on something and headline it at E3 if it's not under their complete control.

Edited by bonchie
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

Has it been mentioned that Dovetail Games are behind this new MSFS??  This article says they are, which is a dud right out of the gate. 

Tech Advisor

Did you ever notice how hyped up DTG got about their rain effects ( a weird detail to focus in, I thought at the time, bearing in mind al the other less detail things that needed doing) and how remarkably similar the rain effects look in the propaganda video? As I suggested/ surmised/ speculated that earlier - maybe we should not assume that all that DTG did was for nought.

Edited by sjt
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

Tech Advisor

Utter nonsense.  

...and the loving care and attention DTG gave to the leather of the passenger seats in the cabin of their aircraft. Take a look at the same thing in the MS video

I don't know - "rain effects" simply look like real rain if done well - by anyone.

@sjt

Why are you calling it a "propaganda video"?

I don't believe for a second that MS is looking to mislead anyone whatsoever - do you?

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Utter nonsense.  

Maybe, maybe not. While DTG might not be in the party, perhaps some of the code they wrote is. Why re-invent every wheel - especially as MS have owned the software all along, as I understand it - even stuff that was developed by the people they licensed it to.

2 minutes ago, irrics said:

ppWhy are you calling it a "propaganda video"?

I don't believe for a second that MS is looking to mislead anyone whatsoever - do you?

Lol. No malice is intended. It's just my way of expressing things. To me all marketing is a form of propaganda. It never quite tells the whole truth and nothing but the truth. No - I'm absolutely certain that this is all for real, but I'm also absolutely certain it will have a heap of warts on day one

lol - well, if you're certain it's "all for real", why are you saying it's not telling the whole truth?

Put another way - what in the video do you find misleading or non indicative of the reality?

Sidenote:  

Good lord I hope the developers spend exactly 0 minutes reading any of the reactions in forums.  There is literally "no winning" for the developers based upon the mix of reactions I've seen so far.  It's incredible how demanding, fickle, negative, cynical, skeptical, etc everyone can be.

Edited by irrics
  • Upvote 2

<smile> ...now you're picking at semantics. All part of the fun, I guess. What I mean is - I have absolutely no doubt that the marketing video portrays a new simulator that  has the potential to surpass by an order of magnitude anything that we have seen before. I also have no doubt at all it Is - as they say "in game video". Sure - in game video of a tiny segment of what they're working on. But I also think that anyone who imagines they are going to be able to land a helicopter in their virtual back yard within a few days of loading the software in the belief that what they have seen in the video is representative of most of the rest of the world they'll see, is going to be sorely disappointed.

46 minutes ago, irrics said:

What planes do you fly in real life that do that?

That's not been my experience over my 25 year GA flying career so far.

I like X-Plane and I do think it does a good job of making things somewhat "feel" like flying, especially when trimming out a plane, but I do question the accuracy of that feel.  The planes move around more, no question, but whether any of it is real world accurate or to what degree is up for some subjective debate, per aircraft model, for sure.

Replicating real world feel, especially with turbulence, is honestly something I don't personally value too much.  It's never going to "feel like flying" to your body/senses if you aren't in a motion sim anyways.

I'm not describing an untrimmed scenario.  I meant random pitch and yaw as in bouncing around on air and wind instead of riding a train track.  182's, Cherokees, Archers, even King Airs.  Right seat, no license. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CarlHill said:

I'm not describing an untrimmed scenario.  I meant random pitch and yaw as in bouncing around on air and wind instead of riding a train track.  182's, Cherokees, Archers, even King Airs.  Right seat, no license. 

Well - agree to disagree a little bit I guess.  It's all just subjective.

I do this every 3rd or 4th day outdoors and I just don't find X-Plane to be "more realistic" necessarily.  I find it to be more "unstable somewhat for the sake of it" and I really think it fools people into thinking it's a more accurate portrayal of reality.  It's just not even close to an apples/apples thing with a computer sim vs reality (at least when not in a full motion sim)

As I said above, none of these Sims "feel like reality" anyhow.  

My favorite ridiculous Mods are "headshake plugins". lol

In any case - reasonable minds can disagree on all this, naturally.

Edited by irrics
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, irrics said:

Good lord I hope the developers spend exactly 0 minutes reading any of the reactions in forums.  There is literally "no winning" for the developers based upon the mix of reactions I've seen so far.  It's incredible how demanding, fickle, negative, cynical, skeptical, etc everyone can be.

I think there is a lot of intelligence to be gleaned from what's been said. You just need to sort the wheat from the chaff. Let us be completely honest - every comment made by every contributor (almost without exception) has been purely speculative. It has ranged from the highest heights of optimism, to the lowest depths of gloom. Some suggestions have been absolute nonsense, some probably accurate guesses to the truth, and some based on a bit of logical thought. But who is right and who is wrong doesn't matter. The whole thread is "fun" and that's exactly how we should all be treating it - and not trying to take it all so seriously.

I see us all in this thread as little different to a bunch of football supporters at a BBQ flowing with beer, all having animated discussions whether their new coach's pick for quarterback was a good pick, and whether the offensive coach should have been fired last season - even though they won the Super Bowl. Everyone has an opinion, but none of them are getting paid for the accuracy of what they say.

As far as the new sim is concerned - I'm completely fired up about it, but am more than prepared to face a few disappointments when we learn more about what it really will be. I, for one can't wait for more official info to come out, but meanwhile will happily speculate either privately or publicly, because it does no harm to do so.

Edited by sjt
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

@sjt

Good stuff - I agree with you.

Honestly I hardly sim anymore as I'm just mostly bored with the players that are left at this point, so I think I'm perhaps extra fired up probably.

The visuals really have me excited, as I'm ready for a big leap there (and it looks to be one).  

I'm also mainly interested in VR at this point.  When I tried X-Plane VR I had a great time, but was bummed about the headset technology at the time (not enough resolution), but now that we have things like the Reverb, it's incredibly exciting to think what it might be like with MSFS 2020 in a Reverb, or better, VR headset.

Edited by irrics

26 minutes ago, irrics said:

Well - agree to disagree a little bit I guess.  It's all just subjective.

I do this every 3rd or 4th day outdoors and I just don't find X-Plane to be "more realistic" necessarily.  I find it to be more "unstable somewhat for the sake of it" and I really think it fools people into thinking it's a more accurate portrayal of reality.  It's just not even close to an apples/apples thing with a computer sim vs reality (at least when not in a full motion sim)

As I said above, none of these Sims "feel like reality" anyhow.  

My favorite ridiculous Mods are "headshake plugins". lol

In any case - reasonable minds can disagree on all this, naturally.

I agree the seat of the pants feeling is not there.  Just that summer flying where I live against the mountains is never in a straight line.  There is always some subtle swaying left and right despite maintaining a straight line.  Hard to describe.  That happens in XP, it happened in FLY and FLY2 as well.  Even Flight Unlimited 1&2 had that sensation. MS series, not so much, if at all. I do agree that XP can have its unstable moments and freezes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, irrics said:

I had a great time, but was bummed about the headset technology

Me too. I had a Rift, and could never get it set up properly. It was far more pain than the benefit I was getting from it. Not only that (it was 2 or 3 years ago) as you say - the resolution was shabby. I ditched it for a 55inch 4k TV, which I find brilliant (literally as well as metaphorically), along with Track IR. It's not as "good" as VR  will be, but for me right now it's better than my VR experience. I'd be really surprised if the new sim did not support VR, because the orthographic stuff just lends itself to that. They are like peas in the same pod. So - assuming it does support it, and assuming a better resolution headset comes out that doesn't trail a transatlantic telephone cable behind it, I'll be all in with that!

Edited by sjt
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2