fs1

AIs now following Sloped Runways in P3D

Recommended Posts

At FSSI we have been doing quite amount of R&D and accomplished AIs to follow Sloped Runways in P3D

This is an initial demo for P3D v4.5 only for you to test. The DLL installed just works with the terrain and AI to accomplish it. It is a BETA version still.

To install the addon, download it from here, and unzip the folder into the %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder. For more information see how to do this.

We are working on an overhaul of the ATC/AI engine. More news to come.

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Federico

 

Edited by fs1
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thank you - which airports will have sloped runways? I will test it out later in the evening

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Skywolf said:

Thank you - which airports will have sloped runways? I will test it out later in the evening

I tested it on the freeware St. Barth, here.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, fs1 said:

I tested it on the freeware St. Barth, here.

Cool - any Orbx areas that I can try this.  This freeware installs AutogenConfigurationMerger etc (I could be wrong, as it always conflicts with Orbx Central).

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

Cool - any Orbx areas that I can try this.  This freeware installs AutogenConfigurationMerger etc (I could be wrong, as it always conflicts with Orbx Central).

 

ORBX EGPB has sloped runways. Let me know how it goes.

Edited by fs1

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, fs1 said:

ORBX EGPB has sloped runways. Let me know how it goes.

will do

Share this post


Link to post

Federico,

This is a game-changer for us AI enthusiasts. I tried the DLL at some airports with taxiway bridges and all worked lovely. You really deserve a community award for your add-on. First Environment Force and now this. Thanks so much! 

BTW is there any area/situation that we should specifically test? I only noticed some diving of the main gear into the platform before climbing up the taxibridge in MMUN. But FSimstudios made the bridge there a lot stepper than in real life to save on FPS. Frankfurt worked flawlessly.

2019-7-12_21-47-58-22x7jiy.jpg

2019-7-12_22-7-53-954qqj64.jpg

Edited by Wolkenschreck
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

@Wolkenschreck really awesome screenshots.

 

We should have a list of all airports with sloped runways.  I know Orbx EGPB has one, the freeware scenery mentioned above and MMUN

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Wolkenschreck said:

Federico,

This is a game-changer for us AI enthusiasts. I tried the DLL at some airports with taxiway bridges and all worked lovely. You really deserve a community award for your add-on. First Environment Force and now this. Thanks so much! 

BTW is there any area/situation that we should specifically test? I only noticed some diving of the main gear into the platform before climbing up the taxibridge in MMUN. But FSimstudios made the bridge there a lot stepper than in real life to save on FPS. Frankfurt worked flawlessly.

2019-7-12_21-47-58-22x7jiy.jpg

2019-7-12_22-7-53-954qqj64.jpg

Thanks for the feedback and great it works well. If you can test different scenarios with different slopes, 3-D polys would be great.

Thanks

Federico

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

@Wolkenschreck really awesome screenshots.

 

We should have a list of all airports with sloped runways.  I know Orbx EGPB has one, the freeware scenery mentioned above and MMUN

ORBX Ketchikan has sloped as well. Regards

Share this post


Link to post

Amazing!! Downloaded but haven't tested it yet. If we can finally start making airports with slopes, that would be a major step forward. Would also make airport design more complicated, mind you 😉

Share this post


Link to post

I tried and failed to do this 10 years ago with FSX!  This would be revolutionary to AI junkies like me.

This MMUN scenery, would it be the new-ish MMUN released by FSimStudios?

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Mace said:

I tried and failed to do this 10 years ago with FSX!  This would be revolutionary to AI junkies like me.

This MMUN scenery, would it be the new-ish MMUN released by FSimStudios?

Yes, that is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, fs1 said:

At FSSI we have been doing quite amount of R&D and accomplished AIs to follow Sloped Runways in P3D

This is an initial demo for P3D v4.5 only for you to test. The DLL installed just works with the terrain and AI to accomplish it. It is a BETA version still.

To install the addon, download it from here, and unzip the folder into the %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder. For more information see how to do this.

We are working on an overhaul of the ATC/AI engine. More news to come.

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Federico

 

Federico,

I'm one of the admins at AIG (you might know that AI group as it's the largest AI community for Flightsim. We have made AI flightplans for more than 10 years now, and have also made AI callsigns, AI models, AI repaints and AI programs. So we have some knowledge about AI. All of this for free!

Maybe we can start a co-op regarding this project? I'm sure we can help each other to make the overhaul of the AI engine even better! 

Send me a PM if it's something you would like.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, johanfrc said:

Federico,

I'm one of the admins at AIG (you might know that AI group as it's the largest AI community for Flightsim. We have made AI flightplans for more than 10 years now, and have also made AI callsigns, AI models, AI repaints and AI programs. So we have some knowledge about AI. All of this for free!

Maybe we can start a co-op regarding this project? I'm sure we can help each other to make the overhaul of the AI engine even better! 

Send me a PM if it's something you would like.

Thanks for the offer. I will PM you.

Our idea is to release shortly the next AI-ATC features such as active runways, AP PID custom controllers, and AI FDE/Separation features.

Edited by fs1
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, fs1 said:

Thanks for the offer. I will PM you.

Our idea is to release shortly the next AI-ATC features such as active runways, AP PID custom controllers, and AI FDE/Separation features.

This would be amazing. Looking forward to it!

Share this post


Link to post

Slopped runways have never been a big problem in P3D (contrary to popular belief) ... there are a growing list of airports with slopped runways, it was always AI that had a problem with them ... have to try this out and see how it does on AI landings and takeoffs.

Great work!

Cheers, Rob.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, fs1 said:

Thanks for the offer. I will PM you.

Our idea is to release shortly the next AI-ATC features such as active runways, AP PID custom controllers, and AI FDE/Separation features.

This little DLL is truely revolutionary. Thanks! I've been testing it extensively. No problems so far. Looking forward to the next thing you have mentioned.

The only thing that bothers me is the window that appears when P3D is loded and one has to click OK every time. Is that necessary?

Cheers

Edited by nthabti79

Share this post


Link to post

PAKT Ketchikan is an interesting airport. I never thought that I would ever need to edit the AFCAD to make it AI compliable and it seems ORBX had the same opinion. PAKT's AFCAD does only come with a runway and ILS but without any parking positions or ramps. I did a quick and dirty AFCAD and can say that the ground behavior of the AI is working very well. 

But there seems to be a limitation with the flaring of the aircraft, which is related to the airport altitude. ORBX designed the runway with an elevation of 40.6m (what is also the airport altitude in the AFCAD) and the parking positions are at an elevation of 15.58m. It was necessary to reduce the airport altitude to 15.58m as the AI aircraft would otherwise not descend down to the ramp level and would taxi on an invisible platform that is on the same 40.6m as the runway. But it seems that landing AI will now also aim to flare for a runway thas is expected at 15.58m. However, the runway is still at 40.6m and the AI now hitting hard in the runway without any flare (which makes sense to me as the AI is probably calculating with the airport reference data).

Do you have any idea how this can be handled, Federico? But PAKT might be an extreme example here.

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, Wolkenschreck said:

PAKT Ketchikan is an interesting airport. I never thought that I would ever need to edit the AFCAD to make it AI compliable and it seems ORBX had the same opinion. PAKT's AFCAD does only come with a runway and ILS but without any parking positions or ramps. I did a quick and dirty AFCAD and can say that the ground behavior of the AI is working very well. 

But there seems to be a limitation with the flaring of the aircraft, which is related to the airport altitude. ORBX designed the runway with an elevation of 40.6m (what is also the airport altitude in the AFCAD) and the parking positions are at an elevation of 15.58m. It was necessary to reduce the airport altitude to 15.58m as the AI aircraft would otherwise not descend down to the ramp level and would taxi on an invisible platform that is on the same 40.6m as the runway. But it seems that landing AI will now also aim to flare for a runway thas is expected at 15.58m. However, the runway is still at 40.6m and the AI now hitting hard in the runway without any flare (which makes sense to me as the AI is probably calculating with the airport reference data).

Do you have any idea how this can be handled, Federico? But PAKT might be an extreme example here.

Well airport design should be adapted now, that other idea will changing the airport landing altitude as well. I will do some tests.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now