16gb DDR3 1866MHz

GTX 1060 6GB

Addons tested with:

FTX Global, England, GB South

UK2000 Gatwick

PMDG 737NGX

UTLive

GSX, GSX Level 2

Basically my Prepar3D v4.3 crashes as the scenario loads giving me the "p3d ran out of memory" box. When I am monitoring the situation on task manager's resource manager, just before the crash the ram used is only on 10.3GB out of 15.9GB. The VRAM is also only at 5GB out of 6GB. The oom is sometimes followed by my entire screen going black and then turning a grey colour where music and things still continue in the background but the PC is unusable and I have to do a forced restart.

I have a feeling that this is a virtual memory error, but I am posting to see if there are any other errors that people have had before?

Please don't recommend to just not use FTX GBS, it's memory intensive but it cost money and is nonrefundable, plus the spec lists all say that it can run with 16gb of ram.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

Virtual memory error?  What, you need to purchase new virtual memory?

Seriously though... If you're running texture intensive anything and it gets OOM in 64bit... it's not the sim, it's the addon(s).  Doesn't matter how much it cost.

• Like 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I also had these OOM and it was related to my Windows harddrive not having enough space for pagefile which could be over 110 gb.

Cloned a new 1TB SSD c drive and zero issues since that.

Michael Moe 

Edited by Michael Moe
  • Like 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

You should keep at least 15% of free space on your windows drive.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Looking at your addon list, it looks as likely to be a problem with insufficient VRAM as with virtual address space.  What resolution are you running?  Are you using high resolution terrain textures?  Hi-def clouds?

You might try looking in the event viewer to see if the faulting module is in the graphics subsystem.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks for the fast replies everyone,

In the event viewer I found a warning about virtual memory which read: "Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: Prepar3D.exe (1220) consumed 11534729216 bytes, utl_client.exe (9336) consumed 940777472 bytes, and Spotify.exe (11268) consumed 199094272 bytes." So with this i've bought a new SSD with 240gb instead of the 60gb that I have now for my boot drive. I will clone the OS over and re-test to see if it solves my problem and I will report back.

@w6kd I am using high-def clouds from REX, high-res terrain option is set to off and i'm using 1024x1024

Thanks,

Matthew

60gb hard drive?  I'm surprised you haven't had issues before this.  Minimum OS drive size I've ever see for Win7 and up was 128gb and THAT was considered minimum.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Also -- I would not want Spotify (or anything else not useful to FS) in memory when I was trying to do a flight sim session.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

@WarpD I guess p3d and fsx have only ever been the more mem heavy programs that i've used

@Mace i'll definitely try it without spotify to start off with, then if i can afford to have it open with little performance impact i'll use it

Cheers again,

Matthew

I've been wanting to upgrade to the latest windows 10, but as the upgrade only wants to download on C and I havent enough space i've never been able to get it, I guess this will help with that aswell!

Well, the shortage of space on the Windows boot drive is probably driving the crash by forcing the swapfile size down, but even once you get more room on the drive and get the swapfile straightened out, you're going to have performance issues because of the effects of VM paging.  11.5GB for P3D is really high memory usage.  You should be able to return to stable operation by running Spotify on a phone or tablet, and dialing some things back in the sim (e.g. reducing traffic levels, and pulling some sliders (e.g. LOD distance) down a notch).

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

What Bob says plus that 6GB VRAM running Orbx GB South is pretty iffy.

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

22 hours ago, swallsgaming said:

Please don't recommend to just not use FTX GBS, it's memory intensive but it cost money and is nonrefundable, plus the spec lists all say that it can run with 16gb of ram.

I'm sitting here looking at memory usage on my computer.  I'm not running anything except the OS, protection software, Skype and Chrome.  Total memory usage is currently at 7.5gb.  Your system is so under spec for what you're wanting to do.  Seriously.  The phrase "system requirements" is foul thing that's been horribly abused through the years and has sucked many the unaware into the morass of poor performance.  Here's an insanely good example of exactly what I mean.  Direct from Microsoft, here's the Windows 7 requirements:

Windows 7 system requirements
  • 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor*
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.

My Windows folder on my C drive is 70.6gb.  That's way, way above the 20gb listed by Microsoft.  Now, maybe when Windows 7 was first installed it sat within a 20gb folder.  However, I don't know of a soul that has used a computer with absolutely nothing but Windows 7 on it.  Even if you were to accomplish that somehow... Windows updates would increase the installation size.

Now, if we take the system requirements for Win 7 into account (20gb hard space and 2gb of RAM), you'll still need more.  To run Prepar3D v4 you need a minimum of 4gb RAM.  That would mean you need 6gb of RAM to run Win 7 and Prepar3D v4.  Only.  Now, if you truly believe that minimum RAM is going to result in good perfornance, well... I've a bridge... Seriously, those values are not even remotely accurate and should be flat out ignored.

I have 16gb RAM and I can run Prepar3D v4 stock without issues.  However, I can assure you that if I start shoving tons of scenery into the picture (like photoreal, or high density sceneries) then I begin to see a performance degradation.

In short, your computer isn't powerful enough to do what you want to do.  Not even close.

Edited by WarpD

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

18 hours ago, downscc said:

What Bob says plus that 6GB VRAM running Orbx GB South is pretty iffy.

Not really, considering that I am running GB South with a 2GB VRAM card. If he is using standard 1080p, then he should be able to run it (with those 3DM files disabled, which I would think would be mandatory for a standard clock i5 4690k).

By the way, Matthew.....are you not able to overclock that CPU? My i5 4690k is overclocked from 3.5 to 4.3Ghz, and it makes a significant difference to performance. I also have 16GB RAM (DDR3-1600), and I never have any memory issues with P3D v4

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png