Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

Contemplating a “sale” purchase..question

Greetings..

before I ask I’ll start by saying not sure what section this question should be asked so please feel free to move this to the appropriate section...

I’ve been contemplating a purchase for a while but have been waiting for a sale on the item(don’t want to name the item to avoid a “this ones better than that one” conversation) it’s come on sale however I’m looking for insight on something...how can a re-seller(I imagine is what they would be called) have a sale on an item however the publisher of said item still has it on at regular sale? 

thanks

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

12 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Greetings..

before I ask I’ll start by saying not sure what section this question should be asked so please feel free to move this to the appropriate section...

I’ve been contemplating a purchase for a while but have been waiting for a sale on the item(don’t want to name the item to avoid a “this ones better than that one” conversation) it’s come on sale however I’m looking for insight on something...how can a re-seller(I imagine is what they would be called) have a sale on an item however the publisher of said item still has it on at regular sale? 

thanks

Hard to say without knowing both the item and the reseller, but sales happen, and if it is what you want, why not take the offer and buy it..?

Bert

It happens.  Over the years I've bought a number of Aerosoft sceneries from Simmarket because I found them on sale at Simmarket but full price on Aerosoft's own site.  It does seem odd that they'd steer buyers to a reseller where they lose not only the price reduction in the sale, but the 30% or so that Simmarket takes off the top.

I have no idea what the thinking is behind that marketing strategy...

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

27 minutes ago, w6kd said:

It happens.  Over the years I've bought a number of Aerosoft sceneries from Simmarket because I found them on sale at Simmarket but full price on Aerosoft's own site.  It does seem odd that they'd steer buyers to a reseller where they lose not only the price reduction in the sale, but the 30% or so that Simmarket takes off the top.

I have no idea what the thinking is behind that marketing strategy...

Yes that’s exactly my thoughts, it’s seems like it is a very, very odd business strategy. 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

It’s the same reason you find items on sale at brick and mortar stores.  When fighting for customers, It’s a way to get you to the site to buy an item from them vs a competitor.  Yes, they may have made 30% less on an item but that’s better to them than $0 if you bought it directly from the developer. Plus you may find yourself going back to their store to buy your next item even if it’s not on sale...a repeat buyer.

My experience has been if a developer has third party resellers developer will only sell at full price. Cannot undercut their third party Salesforce. 

Those individuals, (third party) on the other hand, have full right to wage war on competition however they see fit, including steep discounts 

My 2 cents FWIW

-Braun

I would say that the reseller has committed to a number of licenses of said product where as the developer has an unlimited number of licenses. Its all about their respective bottom lines. They both make independent decision about sales that are in there own interested that are within the terms of the agreement they have.

3 hours ago, Avidean said:

I would say that the reseller has committed to a number of licenses of said product where as the developer has an unlimited number of licenses. Its all about their respective bottom lines. They both make independent decision about sales that are in there own interested that are within the terms of the agreement they have.

This makes sense..Reseller perhaps gets a certain “special” rate on X amount of licences, almost like a bulk savings and can then in turn reduce their prices on the already committed to licenses as they see fit which can still turn a profit for the reseller as they perhaps received a certain rate on the X amount of licences. 

13 hours ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Greetings..

thanks

What I can tell you is that this does occur, it depends on the contract between the developer/publisher and the other retail site and sometimes "sales" of products are left up to the reseller.

In the past there have been sale sights who are selling illegal software (in fact I was made aware of one just last week) and we warned our customers about it after seeing the same serial key pop up from numerous installs.  In fact even FSX has been sold illegally for many years, including on Amazon.

Purchase where you like, but even before I started working with developers I made it a policy to purchase directly from the developer/publisher of software and not let a few dollars sway my decision. In fact, the flight sim world has seen several website based endeavors close up and leave people hanging.... something that repeats itself time and again.  That policy hasn't failed me yet.

Basically, if a sale at a website seems too good to be true (40% off or more) then I would question it and if you run across such a site feel free to PM the info to me and I'll do my best let you know if it's legit.  Many of these sites trace back to Russia and Asia.  AVSIM also has a Hall of Shame where they post such sites (just another bonus for being an AVSIM user).

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

And yet, the reverse can happen also. Only just the other day I purchased the Republic Seabee for FSX:SE direct from Dovetail in their sale at £5.99. That gave me a code to enter on Steam of course, yet if you go to Steam and look at the Seabee, it's still listed at £14.99.

I presume that Steam is the "reseller" in this case, and the publisher is Dovetail, but the developer would be KC FlightShop.

:wacko::blink:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

All depends on the agreement between the supplier and the vendor of the product.  Sometimes there are pricing restrictions, sometimes a vendor will provide incentives to move excess inventory, sometimes pricing concessions are made to enhance relationships with a high volume seller.  Sometimes, they want to access different markets and channels.

Jeff Callender

• Like 1

Jeff Callender