Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Ep#5 : the missing ep

I hope they get st barthes and saba island right.

• Like 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

4 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Combine that with 45000 airports .... at that displayed quality, what is there left for ORBX and others???  Actually it is a little hard to believe that this level of detail will apply to all of the "45,0000 airports and a huge amount of "wiggle room" must exist. My best guess is that major American, French English and European airports will feature reasonably well with the rest possibly left for the 3PD boys.

Whatever ensues from now, the community has simply got to be ahead of the game when this platform is released ... I cannot wait

Regards

Tony

There will be more than enough work for them. So far I think they have around a dozen airports they believe give a good experience in line with the other scenery while one of the guys who went to the preview event said his local airport had a spike of dirt where the tower should be and autogen shrubbery on or around the taxiways where there is none. 

The Devs are going through the airports manually to make them presentable but many thousands of airports will require 3rd parties to be top quality and the same likely goes for cities without good Bing data or photogrammetry which is the vast majority.

Mucker,

I just hope that Australia, Indonesia and New Zealand get significantly better treatment than what P3Dv1-4 and ALL other platforms offer. To say the least, it is fairly shabby and I know OZ is just one of quite a few neglected countries in all the current flight sims. I really do not hold out much hope but if it is easy and cheap enough to port over...make compatible or simply redo, ORBX will come to the forefront albeit after all the popular sceneries have been done. I probably only have 10 years flying ahead of me, and I am being optimistic, so I may just see OZ live again.

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

43 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Mucker,

I just hope that Australia, Indonesia and New Zealand get significantly better treatment than what P3Dv1-4 and ALL other platforms offer. To say the least, it is fairly shabby and I know OZ is just one of quite a few neglected countries in all the current flight sims. I really do not hold out much hope but if it is easy and cheap enough to port over...make compatible or simply redo, ORBX will come to the forefront albeit after all the popular sceneries have been done. I probably only have 10 years flying ahead of me, and I am being optimistic, so I may just see OZ live again.

Tony

Hey Tony, I know how you feel being from a city that was never modelled though was lucky enough to get OrbX Britain at least with a few landmarks, buildings and POI's modelled.

The third parties will go with wherever they think will sell best obviously but as for Microsoft and their Bing data and photogrammetry, that is a bit more random outside of being US centric so you may get lucky.

It all depends how good the Bing data and Ortho is for the area and whether a city has been listed for photogrammetry and Bing operate outside of MSFS2020 and seem to have different priorities for where gets most attention.

For example you would expect in Britain for London to be well modelled with photogrammetry yet it isn't, at least not yet with only a handful of modelled landmark buildings, while Portsmouth is full photogrammetry I think.

They have around 400 cities with photogrammetry with those being concentrated in the US but I think for now they only have a handful that have had a full manual pass and corrections with Seattle being the showcase and most polished. 

How about "We get it, it's pretty.  What about the simming stuff?"

ATC, AI, flying VFR, flying IFR, tuning VORs/ADFs/ILSs, flight planning.

Seasons, living world.

What aircraft are avail (I know we won't see that until release, but as long as I'm dreaming)

Edited by andyjohnston.net

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

7 hours ago, F737NG said:

44,950 airports are going to be irrelevant to me.

I’ve flown into hundreds of airports in the boondocks of FSX and P3D where nobody has gone before (no crushed Coke cans and barbecue leftovers on the grass, no oil smudges on tarmac).

Most of them are irrelevant today not only because of the lack of buildings but mainly because of their bad insertion in the environment (relief and coordinates vs roads/rivers). Imagery and sloped runways should change that and give them a much better basic relevance. 

Populating these airports with buildings and equipments (and little mickeys) may indeed come later on. And I am not against sparsely built airfields if they give us the means to add stuff, with a tool à la Instant Scenery.

I must admit that I am curious as I have manually corrected and populated  many airports . 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Oh, I'm sure we'll get many more episodes than only these first four!

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.