Sign in to follow this  
GHD

FSX Activation

>People with XP don't seem to have a problem so why should>those with FSX?Because if you format your only drive, where is 'XP' then Victor?I'm rather surprised that you, of all people, would ask?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest allcott

>>People with XP don't seem to have a problem so why should>>those with FSX?>>Because if you format your only drive, where is 'XP' then>Victor?>>I'm rather surprised that you, of all people, would ask?I think you missed the point Dave. When you install XP you activate it. When you reinstall, you reactivate it. It's just part of the process, not an imposition and hardly a challenge.I expect FSX will auto-validate on first install and that will be it, unless or until you need to re-validate it after a reinstall, just like XP. And if you don't like it, you'd better buy a Mac now. ALL Microsoft proprierary products will require BOTH activation of this sort under Vista, as well as VALIDATION before it will install any automatic updates. Updates from the MS website ALREADY require verification of a legitimate operating license for the OS, but at the moment the user is given the option of installing the validation. That will not be the case with Vista. I suspect as MS also control gates.to any pirate operators of FSX will have a shock awaiting them when they try to log on to a multiplayer environment.Also, any operators of a pirate Windows OS may also need to mend their ways or else FSX won't run. I doubt that will be implemented for XP, but when you choose to install it to Vista, it will. It won't be enough to buy a legit copy of FSX, you'll need a verified copy of the Operating System too. That shouldn't bother any decent simmer.Allcott

I just installed a new hard drive and video card on my system and reinstalled Windows XP. It I got it reactivated on line with no problem. So I don't think a reformat with fsx would be a problem. Now a new computor my be. keith:-beerchug

Guest allcott

Well now we know the ACES team are present in these forums it would be good to get a definitive statement about the number of installs possible from a single copy of FSX coincidentally. I agree with Scott. In this case, not having the possibility to have the software installed on more than one machine will seriously damage the possibilities for users with widefs and multi-computer simming environments. They are not using FS in multiple environments, they are using multiple FS installations in a SINGLE environment, and that should be both tolerated and encouraged by MS, who are promoting distributive computing as one of their Next Big Things.And for those users switching to FSX is a big step, and not one they are likely to take if MS actually place barriers in the way.But MS are after bigger fish, not the 2 or 3 installations, the pirate software that sees thousands of activations. But as this is one of those issues that doesn't crop up with other gaming software, it would be very reassuring to know that MS have considerd this as part of their updating program and built it into the new version.Allcott

Guest JimBrown

Since we know that piracy prevention is not going to go away, IMHO, I much prefer product activation over any other type of piracy prevention.Why?Because I can make as many backup copies of my installation media as I wish. It is (for the most part) a one time deal, once done I can forget about it.I also see that there is still some FUD flying around regarding product activation.You can format your hard drive as many times as you wish. When you re-install the products requiring activation, you go through the same online process as you originally did. Takes a few seconds.You can upgrade your computer components to a certain point without having to re-activate the product. A major upgrade (or completly new PC) will require a telephone call (to a toll free number) to get that particular products activation reset. Not a big deal, takes a few minutes.The only information retained by the company requiring activation is the product key and a hash created from information about the hardware in the PC. The hash is created by the product and can not be used to identify the specific hardware on the PC.I highly recommend anyone who has questions regarding product activation visit this FAQ, with particular attention to the technical details: http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspxYou may wish to have a look at this one as well: http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_myths.mspxNote: I do not work for Microsoft or any other company that uses product activation.Best regards,...jim

>But MS are after bigger fish, not the 2 or 3 installations,>the pirate software that sees thousands of activations. >That is not what MS say on the Product Activation Myths pagewww.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_myths.mspx"It is this form of piracy, casual copying, that Microsoft is primarily looking to reduce with Product Activation."Looks like having the same copy of FSX on your desk machine and your laptop or new build test machine is ruled out.And don't even think of a 6 screen Wideview installation :(--Bryn

Guest lalo lolo1

Well, MS is a big pain in the neck for anyone who likes to play with hardware such as myself.I must have changed the board 4 times and the HD three times in the last year. Guess what? I had to call MS every single time and deal with the operator asking me if I have Ms in more than one machine every single time. Only to try a new hardware, that you are not sure you are going to keep, I have to activate or WGA don't let me download the XP patches, and I never know if the hard is working as I want it to.I guess it will be the same BS if FSX requires activation.Leo

Guest SilverCircle

>So, god forbid that we should want to format our drive or>even upgrade our P.C,s eh?>>I have already ordered 'FSX' but wish now I hadn't.>>This 'activation' is a step back, IMO. Good way to drive>people away from flightsim though!Actually, I think its a step forward. I prefer a "one time per install" online activation any time over the old way of using crappy CD/DVD copy protection which can hurt your system, degrades performance and does other evil things (yes, I know that most of them could be bypassed with nocd cracks, but that's not the point).For me, its not an issue. It would be an issue if they had decided to protect it with starforce though, because anything related to this crap simply doesn't get the chance to touch my hd.And yes, like some ppl said, Vista will change a lot of things regarding activation and licensing. It has all the needed technology built in and if you, for example, stop the software licensing service, a lot of things in the OS alone will stop working. Running a pirated Vista may still be possible, but then you can say goodbye once and forever to online updates, service packs and more important things.

Guest longhaul747

Oh great!!I am having a new computer built and it will be ready on Tuesday. I had them transfer my 2nd drive over to the new machines 2nd drive. My 2nd drive has the FSX beta client on it. I have a feeling it will not let me register FSX when I try but I will find out. Oh well its only another 3 weeks until release.

anti-piracy measures are pointless, if people want to get illegal copies, they WILL GET THEMAnyway, my first experience with microsoft and activation was the day Windows XP came out. Brought it home after buying it during a lunch break from work, only to find out it would not activate. told me it was already activated. I called MS support only to have the lady flat out accuse me of stealing. That was "fun"Last night, I updated my BIOS, and what happens? Windows starts up claiming hardware changes and requires me to activate again.Boy, I cant wait for FSX activation....

Guest longhaul747

This could be kind of ugly for flight simming in the future. Many people have said they will keep what they have until Vista and DX10 comes out and then they plan to buy a new machine then. Many of these people probably don't know they will have to buy a new copy of FSX as well. At $69 a pop for the deluxe addition I don't think people will be thrilled.I can't completely explain my logic but I can understand one opperating program per system. However for program like FSX where people upgrade frequently its a disaster. I don't think its a crime for someone to go out and buy a new computer and install the copy of FSX sitting on the shelf. You should be allowed to do it as often as you want as long as certain things match like IP address or home address match from when the program was first activated from.

Guest JimBrown

>This could be kind of ugly for flight simming in the future. >Many people have said they will keep what they have until>Vista and DX10 comes out and then they plan to buy a new>machine then. Many of these people probably don't know they>will have to buy a new copy of FSX as well. At $69 a pop for>the deluxe addition I don't think people will be thrilled.Where on earth did you get the idea that one would have to buy a new copy of FSX if one gets a new computer and/or OS?...jim

>>Where on earth did you get the idea that one would have to buy>a new copy of FSX if one gets a new computer and/or OS?>That was the purpose of original question, to elicit this information.George

Guest longhaul747

>>This could be kind of ugly for flight simming in the future.>>>Many people have said they will keep what they have until>>Vista and DX10 comes out and then they plan to buy a new>>machine then. Many of these people probably don't know they>>will have to buy a new copy of FSX as well. At $69 a pop>for>>the deluxe addition I don't think people will be thrilled.>>Where on earth did you get the idea that one would have to buy>a new copy of FSX if one gets a new computer and/or OS?>>...jim>Is this not what we are talking about? If I am wrong then please correct me but it looks like you will not be able to register FSX on more then one computer. If you try it will not let you. Now maybe like Windows XP you can call the 1-800 number and get it reset but recently M$ has tightened down on this. Last I heard if you have an OEM version of Windows XP you are toast. However if you have the full retail version of XP they will let you reset.

Guest JimBrown

Hi,The post I was replying to seemed to suggest that if one replaced ones computer with a new computer, and/or replaced the OS as well, that one would have to buy a new copy of FSX. Of course, this is not true.Your original question can't be answered yet, because we have not (to my knowledge) seen the EULA for the release version.The EULA for FS2004 did allow two installations. One on a PC and one on a "portable computer". Hopefully, the release version EULA will also allow this.Regards,...jim