Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

FSX and its flight planner

Can anyone comment on whether or not the FSX flight planner will allow direct flights from say Atlanta to London? In FS9, you can't do it. If you try, it takes you through Canada and Alaska before turning toward the UK. An improved flight planner is high on my list of most wanted features in FSX. RH

Guest andyjohnston

This is realistic.What it is doing is called "Great Circle" navigation. Quite simply, going along a 'curved' route is actually faster than a 'straight' one, due to the curvature of the earth.

With respect, I don't think flying from Atlanta via Alaska is on a great circle route! More like a great ellipse :-)

In this case, it is not. The usual flight path follows the east coast of the US then over the Atlantic and then down toward Scotland or Ireland before landing in London.In FS9, even if you take off from JFK, it takes you back over Alaska before heading to the UK.RH

Will the FSX flight planner autogenerate a route from Atlanta to London without going via Alaska? Dave Vega

FS9 will do the same thing in GPS mode. I meant through the other flight planner modes (I should have been more clear).RH

I think what Robbie means is when you have FSX create a flightplan using waypoints and not direct GPS, will it send you to Alaska or will it generate the waypoint needed in the US and then direct you over the Atlantic.Maybe I am wrong but I would imagine that there are a few waypoints needed while they are still over the US and once they reach Europe. What about a flight plan to the Middle East? Sure there are no waypoints when they are crossing the Atlantic but there should be once they reach Europe. In FS9, you have 3 choices. Go to Alaska first, go GPS direct or create your own flightplan.I know this has been brought up before and the reason is that the path over the Atlantic is always changing. So, does FSX handle this a little better?

Guest D17S

FSBuild is probably the best stand alone flight planner for the serious simmer. Still, for the NATs (North Atlantic Tracks), you

Thanks for the information, but from what I gather, FSX will not do what FSBuild does. I wonder if FSX has made any improvements in the flight planner.RH

FSX still has the entry/exit waypoint for the United States / North America set as the ADREW intersection on the Alaska / Yukon Territory border for some flights across the north Atlantic - when using the High Altitude Airways flight planning option.The route then follows the ACAR airway across north Canada to Greenland then the PTSR airway until joining UN615 175nm out from the STN VOR. (KDFW-LFPG - 6,283.6nm)Others use the DIGUN intersection in the tropical Atlantic (KJFK-LFPG - 6,075.8nm)Some other routing:KJFK-EHAM - 6121.2nm via ADREWKJFK-EDDF - 6328.8nm via ADREWKJFK-LIRF - 6274.0nm via DIGUNKJFK-EGKK - 6101.6nm via ADREWKBOS-EIDW - 5930.7nm via ADREWKBOS-LLBG - 7534.6nm via DIGUNKIAD-OKBK - 8455.4nm via ADREWLFPG-TNCM - 5158.4nm via DIGUN(Reverse routes are the same)FS2002 was better with everything routed through Tunisia. At least you only had to delete about six waypoints and the flight plan was usable.Most folks who want to fly such trips don't want to use the direct GPS flight path, preferring to do some navigation and While the NAT tracks change every day, I still fail to see why programming in about four tracks as the preferred routes would be anything less disrputive than the Alaska route.The trans-Pacific routing is great.Just the north Atlantic really messed up.There is a file around here somewhere which adds several north Atlantic waypoints. That way you can use the direct GPS course, but still have navigation waypoints to adjust your course.FSBuild is a great tool - but it is payware and too expensive for the casual flier.

>There is a file around here somewhere which adds several north>Atlantic waypoints.nat_v.2.0.zip is the name, invaluable addition to the fs9 (FSX?) database. One still has to use an external flight planner but at least fs9 will recognize the NAT lat/long waypoints with this bgl installed.regards,Markhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpgXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1024mb/X700pro256

"The north Atlantic is the most glaring issue/ failure in the FS Flight Planner."I agree, and with the popularity of the North Atlantic route, you would think they would have fixed it in FSX. It should not have been that difficult, either.I have tried FS Navigator but have been unable to figure it out. Is FSBuild easier to work with?RH

FSBuild is easier because it will create waypoints for FS from the actual flight plan.We can add waypoints to a flight plan with a text editor. FS has supported that for a long time.Just open the .PLN file with NotePad and add points like waypoint.1=Fix01, I, N55* 00.00', W40* 00.00', +039000.00,waypoint.2=Fix02, I, N60* 00.00', W35* 00.00', +039000.00,waypoint.3=Fix03, I, N55* 00.00', W30* 00.00', +039000.00,For using FSNav - besure to install the NAT waypoints listed above - then rebuild your FSNav database. Then you can use them.