Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

is pta still worth getting ?

now that we have tomatoshade would pta be still worth getting ?

All opinions of course welcome

• Like 1

I personally prefer PTA over TS. It allows a lot of tweaks and it has example images to show the expected effects in sim.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

We'll see what Matt would be able to offer once P3D releases v4.6 or 5.0. My personal opinion that he should sell it to some other reliable vendor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

I personally prefer PTA over TS. It allows a lot of tweaks and it has example images to show the expected effects in sim.

Cheers, Ed

TS actually offers more functionality and I never found those preview pictures of any use. Not to mention that your investment will be at the mercy of highly unreliable developer. That would be my objective opinion. Subjectively, I would not touch anything that has something to do with this man-child of a developer.

Edited by Evros
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Evros said:

TS actually offers more functionality and I never found those preview pictures of any use. That would be my objective opinion. Subjectively, I would not touch anything that has something to do with this man-child of a developer.

Actually, your opinion is subjective (as well as ours 🙂) .The man-child has nothing to do with the product. He merely owns the rights. It's like Michael Jackson who at some point of time owned entire The Beatles's catalogue. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G-YMML1 said:

Actually, your opinion is subjective (as well as ours 🙂) .The man-child has nothing to do with the product. He merely owns the rights. It's like Michael Jackson who at some point of time owned entire The Beatles's catalogue. 

I guess you are right, but he is responsible of maintaining this product. History has shown us that there are too many issues and outright lies when it comes to this product so I would definitely give first chance to a product that is more reliable and completely free. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Evros said:

TS actually offers more functionality and I never found those preview pictures of any use. Not to mention that your investment will be at the mercy of highly unreliable developer. That would be my objective opinion. Subjectively, I would not touch anything that has something to do with this man-child of a developer.

Well, to start with, I would never say someone is "man-child". People deserve a lot more respect.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

21 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

The man-child has nothing to do with the product. He merely owns the rights.

He has everything to do with the product when it comes to communication and updates. There isn't another dev working on it behind the scenes.
I suggest you do some research on it before you spread misinformation.

As for OP's original question, Tomatoshade all the way. Not only is it a better application, but the dev is actively updating it and providing more features with every new version.

Also, it's free

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

2 hours ago, MindYerBeak said:

now that we have tomatoshade would pta be still worth getting ?

All opinions of course welcome

I have PTA, but no longer use it as I found all the settings wayyy too confusing. Initially, I experimented with some freely available profiles, but could never seem to find one that suited my taste in all flying scenarios. And when they didn't, I neither had the time nor the inclination to find out why !

So after reading people's opinion on EnvShade, I decided to give it a go at only ~£5, and love it. Straight 'out of the box' I get great results. Yes, it can be tweaked, but I don't bother for the reason just stated.

Regards.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MindYerBeak said:

is pta still worth getting ?

No.

Same here as previous shared opinions. Early customer of PTA (when it became payware), I slowly felt disappointed by the lack of promise fulfilled after the acquisition and the complexity of the tool which at the end of the day doesn't offer much to me and my usage.

Currently using EnvShade. One click solution and more flying.

Edited by vbazillio
  • Upvote 2

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

6 minutes ago, garydpoole said:

So after reading people's opinion on EnvShade, I decided to give it a go at only ~£5, and love it. Straight 'out of the box' I get great results. Yes, it can be tweaked, but I don't bother for the reason just stated.

Regards.

+1 - ENVSHADE - is my preference also - simple to use and low cost - with periodic updates and active support.

• Like 1

WAT1460.png

22 minutes ago, garydpoole said:

I have PTA, but no longer use it as I found all the settings wayyy too confusing. Initially, I experimented with some freely available profiles, but could never seem to find one that suited my taste in all flying scenarios. And when they didn't, I neither had the time nor the inclination to find out why !

Regards.

I entirely agree with this for most part.

I used to fly with PTA, trying all sorts of profiles, and never quite liking it. Eventually I started messing around with settings myself, and still didn't really get what I was hoping. In the end, I returned to fly with default shaders. Anyway with PBR these days your'e advised by an increasing number of developers to use the default shaders anyway. I, actually, happen to quite like them! One thing that is particularly jarring to me, if you would allow me the freedom to exaggerate a bit, is all the images I see that appear entirely blue, or have the shadow contrast turned up so high that I can barely see the switches in the VC.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Question for EnvShade users...

One of the things I like PTA for is darkening the shadows in the virtual cockpit. The default shaders make the VC too bright in the shadow areas.

Does EnvShade have this capability?

Thanks in advance for answering.

• Like 1

Thank you all. I think I'll pass. I do like "the example images to show the expected effects in sim" tho. 

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

People deserve a lot more respect.

Actually, they dont. Respect is something that is earned, not granted. Matt has gambled away any and all respect that he started with or accumulated along the way. And that in effect extends to (and stems from) business entities that he represents. 

Personal opinion. 

Edited by Evros
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5