Sign in to follow this  
CptVince

Should You Stop Buying P3D/X-Plane Addons? The MFS Effect

18 hours ago, LHookins said:

I wouldn't be surprised if PMDG has an airliner ready for sale at MSFS release or shortly after.  All the hard base work has already been done (programming the FMC for example) and they just have to create an MSFS aircraft to put it all in.  They may be able so use their existing models with some updating.  It's not like they have to create everything from scratch.

Other developers may already be hard at work on MSFS aircraft as we speak.  We can only hope.

Everything I've seen and read from PMDG over the years suggests they are not the ones to jump to decisions without enough information and reason. They were the first I think to completely embrace the new sim by announcing an MSFS-only product and significantly changing their roadmap, which, according to RSR, was thoroughly planned out for years to come. They are actually the last developer that I would expect to do something so radical. No way they would do this based solely on the publicly available information of the new sim. This is why I think there is more going on behind the curtains and why I agree with you.

• Like 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

4 hours ago, eaim said:

One thing the latest MSFS video has done is that I was thinking about buying FlyTampa's St Maarten airport package, I'll hold off now I've seen the airports around that area of the Caribbean, it looks just as good, if not better..... for free.

Oddly enough, the MSFS SABA pics and your mention of FlyTampa have me considering buying the St Maarten/Saba/St Barts package.  I have never bought scenery before, only aircraft and utilities.

Because, after all, why should I wait to enjoy that incredible scenery? 😄 

I'm not gonna buy some airport that I'll only fly to once a year at most.  But in the case of SABA I fly there every time I go through the Caribbean, which is reasonably often.  Stock SABA is a very interesting landing challenge as there's a hill in the way.  Stock St Barts is a little uninspiring.  

St Maarten might be an interesting place to explore in avatar mode.

The only other scenery I've ever considered is Narsarsuaq.  The only thing I've actually downloaded is Neuschwanstein castle.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

28 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Oddly enough, the MSFS SABA pics and your mention of FlyTampa have me considering buying the St Maarten/Saba/St Barts package.  I have never bought scenery before, only aircraft and utilities.

Hello Hook

I love flying all around the Bahamas and Caribbean, got myself plenty of add-ons for those areas.

The FlyTampa - St. Maarten Complate package is just gorgeous, and well worth their price.
The 3 island and airports are very detailed and FPS friendly with my system.
TNCM is one of my all time favorites, and both SABA & TFFJ are challenging enough for any simmer, specially when using real weather. (V2 even activates lights on foggy whether)

You can't go wrong.

Cheers.

Edited by RamonB

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

Because, after all, why should I wait to enjoy that incredible scenery? 😄 

I'm not gonna buy some airport that I'll only fly to once a year at most.  But in the case of SABA I fly there every time I go through the Caribbean, which is reasonably often.  Stock SABA is a very interesting landing challenge as there's a hill in the way.  Stock St Barts is a little uninspiring.  

St Maarten might be an interesting place to explore in avatar mode.

The only other scenery I've ever considered is Narsarsuaq.  The only thing I've actually downloaded is Neuschwanstein castle.

Hook

I might still buy it, if FlyTampa has a sale.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

On 1/14/2020 at 7:31 PM, Nick_h said:

I wont be purchasing any more addons for P3D I will continue however to enjoy the addons I own.

Well just goes to prove I have no self control !!

• Like 2

On 1/13/2020 at 4:09 PM, ryanbatcund said:

I've bought about 6 addons for XP11 and P3D since the announcement of the the new FS2020 came out.  I have definitely slowed my purchases though.

Quoting myself... it's mid April and I haven't really stopped buying add-ons for either sim.  Covid may be contributing though.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Same here! I will continue to use my own addons.

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |