Sign in to follow this  
G-RFRY

PayPal

I have had my PayPal account hacked twice in one day for $85.01 EACH for something,  I have reported them to PayPal fraud department, but the strange thing is I only setup PayPal for purchasing flight sim product`s I don't use eBay and have now cancelled my bank cards also.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

What was the last sight you visited? 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

FSDT purchased LFSB before that Simmarket. 

Raymond Fry.

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

FSDT purchased LFSB before that Simmarket. 

Do you mean you purchased LFSB trough FSDT (Digital River) or through SimMarket?.

I still think PayPal is the most secure way to buy on the net, but that could change...

Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Just don't try to use PayPal with Orbx. Now that there becoming the one stop shopping for FlightSim software it's going suck for those of us that prefer PayPal. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

What was the a transaction description and was it the same for both occasions? PayPal disputes can sometimes take a few days to resolve, but if they have a similar problems with the same transaction description it can get cleared up quite quickly, when they think there is a pattern 

Sorry this happened to you, its horrible to have to cancel cards wait for new cards and chase money over something that wasn't your fault,  luckily most cards and services have good fraud protection, even if they cant prevent it from happening in the first place. I'm sure the money will be returned, It will be interesting to see where the weak link was. Keep us informed.

Edited by stephenbgs

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

2 hours ago, stephenbgs said:

luckily most cards and services have good fraud protection, even if they cant prevent it from happening in the first place. 

I agree. I don’t use PayPal but use my Citi American Airline card for all my purchases and have only had two incidents in the last 6 years. They were quick to refund the charge and send me a new card.

I also have a Barclays American Airlines card for backup if something happens to the Citi card. That way I continue to earn airline miles for all my purchased and don’t have to worry about cash coming out of my card.

To be honest, I don’t even care if someone tries to make a purchase on my card because I know it will be taken card of quickly and easily.

If I was a worry wart, the Citi card app even lets me keep the card open with the ability to lock it between purchases for extra safety. I don’t go to that extreme to lock it and unlock it between uses, but I easily could in about 20 seconds if I wanted to.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

How strong and unique was your password? Did you ever use the same, or a very similar, password on another site?

I have so many passwords I have to wright them down last purchase was at FSDT site and before that simMarket, that crashed not long ago if you remember but may be just a coincidence, my PayPal issue is not resolved at the moment but i have cancelled the card linked to that account, and will not re-active, no more flight sim purchases with PayPal.   

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

@rjfry, I stopped using PayPal a couple of years ago because of the commission they add to purchases. Instead I use a Halifax Clarity card which charges no commission for foreign currency purchases. Hope you get your problem sorted soon.

I made a donation to AvSim yesterday and was disappointed to see the only payment option was PayPal. But after choosing that option I then had the option of using a credit card.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The scam involved and UK retail outlet local to me that are click and collect agents I have spoken to the manager who is now looking in to it, they show no product being collected but are also used for eBay collection, I informed them I do not have an eBay account or have ever used them, this is why the is in dollars not UK currency so it likely overseas hack and scam, I was told you can setup any email and have money moved to that email what we cannot do is search that email, and was informed I may have to involve the UK police fraud department who can check the emails origin, I have left with them as they will involve head office and will look in tomorrow.

PayPal have refunded me for one transaction but not the other when I tell two transaction took place at 21.39 and again at 21.40hrs UK time different email on both but the same amount.  

I will have to setup a limited prepayment card for the future I no long trust PayPal. 

Raymond Fry.

For sites like PayPal you should enable the two factor authentication option, where possible. This helps keep people out if they do somehow get their hands on your email and password.

https://benbrian.net/authenticator-app-support-in-paypal-finally/

I asked about your password because there are so many data breaches these days that there are millions upon millions of exposed accounts floating around. Hackers will take the emails and passwords stolen from one site and try them elsewhere, especially on financial sites like PayPal. Or they may record emails and passwords if entered on an infected computer too.