Sign in to follow this  
Lorby_SI

Night lighting: illuminated roads?

In the US, highways are sometimes lit, and sometimes not. You can run an interstate for 100 miles and not see any street lights, then you get to a commonly-used exit and there will be street lights there. Even if it's far away from a city.  So just categorizing it by road type isn't gonna return accurate results either.  I'm OK if the real world isn't simulated to 100% fidelity, largely because if it were, the sim would probably have to cost almost as much as a real airplane. 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Noooch said:

@Kopteeni No I never said that was a priority. And the data doesn't have to come from Bing either, the weather isn't for example.

I just said it was not a big deal to get it done right.

My apologies. I thought you meant implementing a solution to the problem is not a big deal. (I'm not native in English)

Edited by Kopteeni
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eslader said:

I'm OK if the real world isn't simulated to 100% fidelity,

Exactly!  Many people here have been using flightsim since very old versions which didn't come anywhere close to being completely real, and there weren't those kind of complaints at the time.  What they're giving us should be no different, especially when they are reviving a program which has been dead (dormant if you prefer) for over a decade.

• Like 1

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Hopefully they can figure out a way to not light roads that are more than a few miles from a city. That wouldn't be perfect, but it would be closer to the real world than every highway being a Christmas tree, even in the middle of nowhere.

5 hours ago, Noooch said:

Depending on the country, each type of road is illuminated or not. For example in the Netherlands, highways are illuminated but I believe in North Korea, even cities are left in the dark.

Yeah, North Korea is pretty dark. Even China's border with N. Korea is well lighted!

F9bXI.png

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Why not pull night time satellite images?

Then run those through Azure to place the appropriate light source, like the do with trees and buildings?  In theory with the light color, they can guess if it is a halogen or sodium vapor light. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Many people here have been using flightsim since very old versions which didn't come anywhere close to being completely real

I remember thinking FS2 had *amazing* graphics because the runways were grey instead of cyan!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GlideBy said:

Then run those through Azure to place the appropriate light source, like the do with trees and buildings?  In theory with the light color, they can guess if it is a halogen or sodium vapor light. 

Completely agree.

There must be some ways to accomplish a realistic look by region with such techniques given the advanced technologies they are already using.

I don’t understand the people who are punting already and saying things like “so what -we never had it before!” — No kidding guys...

But this is all new and amazing and why not encourage them to aim high!  

High expectations are a good thing to have.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GlideBy said:

All of the ones I’ve seen are not a high enough resolution t be able to place lights with much accuracy.  But who knows, maybe MS has access to night time satellite data with very high resolution.  If they do, it certainly isn’t available to the public in an easy to find way.

4 hours ago, irrics said:

Completely agree.

There must be some ways to accomplish a realistic look by region with such techniques given the advanced technologies they are already using.

I don’t understand the people who are punting already and saying things like “so what -we never had it before!” — No kidding guys...

But this is all new and amazing and why not encourage them to aim high!  

I agree, but add it to the wish list. I still would like the SIM by Thanksgiving. Lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, irrics said:

I seem to recall that we had this feature (turning off / changing road lighting by "classes") already in one of the addon night lighting products for FSX.

So I was thinking that if a private addon developer can do it, so can Microsoft (and better? Hence the wish for conditional lighting).

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI