Sign in to follow this  
Macpah

X-Plane 11.50 beta 1 -is HERE-

2 minutes ago, Bulva said:

A strange thing, when everyone complains about more blurry textures in Vulkan than in XP11.41.
For me (strange thing) it looks the opposite:

1) XP11.41:

183521461_21_41.jpg.37c22058f625371f83a3

2) XP10.50b1+Vulkan:

1078405420_1vulc.jpg.187093bd0e4e0f7398c

Clearly the background mountains lack detail and everything is washed-out in 11.50+Vulkan.  

8 hours ago, petrony said:

Clearly the background mountains lack detail and everything is washed-out in 11.50+Vulkan.  

Good point...you have that nailed!

I would bet that Bulva is running those screenshots inadvertantly at different "visibility". Nothing has changed about the way that Vulkan renders the scenery. No new shaders, no new textures, no new artwork, no new lighting effect, nothing.

We get all these reports of "wow, look at those brilliant textures! The water looks great! Look what they have done to the clouds!" Everyone is laughing their *sses off because nothing has changed. Its all in your head, pared up with the inability to run a scientific comparison. Its like listening to a few old ladies that have witnessed a bank robbery and are now trying to describe the getaway car 😆.

Cheers, Jan

Edit: I have to backpedal a bit - just talked to Ben and something about the way the water renders WAS changed... Shame on me!

Edited by Janov
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Janov said:

I would bet that Bulva is running those screenshots inadvertantly at different "visibility". Nothing has changed about the way that Vulkan renders the scenery. No new shaders, no new textures, no new artwork, no new lighting effect, nothing.

We get all these reports of "wow, look at those brilliant textures! The water looks great! Look what they have done to the clouds!" Everyone is laughing their *sses off because nothing has changed. Its all in your head, pared up with the inability to run a scientific comparison. Its like listening to a few old ladies that have witnessed a bank robbery and are now trying to describe the getaway car 😆.

Cheers, Jan

Edit: I have to backpedal a bit - just talked to Ben and something about the way the water renders WAS changed... Shame on me!

Yeah..I was just going to say...the water is way better in .50, than any other prior 11.x release.  Much more life-like now. Would LOVE to have that in .41...but I tried...and a 'no joy'....

Sorry for the confusion with my photos, because I made mistakes here.
Many hours of testing and late night hours meant that errors in my observations crept in. 😞 
In sum.
My textures XP11.41 and XP11.50b1 + Vulkan are identical.
I carried out tests today with identical Texture Quality settings, without 3jFPS and received identical results.
(I don't know how it will look when I make a long flight).
The mountains in the distance have proved to be the missing scenery of the Alps, and the different trees are thanks to the SAM plug.
In XP11.50 (Vulkan) =  I don't have stuttering. 🙂 
At this stage of testing Vulkan = nightmarish shadows in the cockpit and the inability to use the librain plugin and grundtraffic - are my biggest concerns.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Yeah..I was just going to say...the water is way better in .50, than any other prior 11.x release.  Much more life-like now. Would LOVE to have that in .41...but I tried...and a 'no joy'....

Don´t worry - they will keep improving on 11.50 and soon pretty much everyone will be able to use and enjoy it´s benefits.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Janov said:

The water looks much better, especially since now reflections can be enabled. At night it also adds to the immersion. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Well, I'm trying to 'whittle' away,  the out-of-focus bug from the renderer engine in Vulcan b1, by using various shader .fx's in ReShade 4.5.4...and so far, here has been the results of flying over my Ortho4XP z17 tiles near northern Florida:  Playing around with 'stuff'....

Cirrus-SF50-2020-04-07-18-44-51.png

Cirrus-SF50-2020-04-07-18-45-53.png

Cirrus-SF50-2020-04-07-18-46-07.png

Cirrus-SF50-2020-04-07-18-48-13.png

Cirrus-SF50-2020-04-07-18-49-24.png

On 4/5/2020 at 9:00 PM, Bulva said:

A strange thing, when everyone complains about more blurry textures in Vulkan than in XP11.41.
For me (strange thing) it looks the opposite:

1) XP11.41:

183521461_21_41.jpg.37c22058f625371f83a3

2) XP10.50b1+Vulkan:

1078405420_1vulc.jpg.187093bd0e4e0f7398c

I do like the road textures, could you shoot me a link? 

By the way, I know Live traffic isn't displaying aircraft,  but is your OOTB AI displaying? 

Nevermind,  my bad. Forgot to take out the live traffic plugin. All better. Dooh!

Edited by Casualcas

13 hours ago, Casualcas said:

I do like the road textures, could you shoot me a link? 

I don't think I will help. This is my own compilation of various road improvement files from various authors.
Don't ask me what I did it some time ago and I really don't remember what I really kept, what I threw away.
Anyway, my ROADS work like normal scenery and are in the Custom_scenery folder along with other libraries. When I don't want to use them, they just deactivate this scenery and I have default roads.
I can possibly send my Road folder to your email.

On 4/7/2020 at 12:35 PM, DJJose said:

The water looks much better, especially since now reflections can be enabled. At night it also adds to the immersion. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

The first "Medium" setting, however, is quite horrible, reflecting each star as a giant blob.

• Like 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

B2 is out. Anyone try it yet? I'll wait since the one affecting me has not been fixed.

Update: Ben said:

Probably the most common and annoying bug report we get that is not fixed here is blurry textures. Basically if X-Plane thinks it is running out of VRAM, it will lower the resolution on textures where it is allowed to lower the resolution. We have seen cases of this code behaving very poorly and turning texture resolution all the way down.

First, just to state the obvious, this is a bug. You do not need more VRAM to run with Vulkan than OpenGL, we just need to fix the pager. If you have less than 8 GB of VRAM, do not panic.

I am not surprised that we have seen this bug – texture paging is very much about tuning our decisions to match real-world use, and we have shipped with something that works decently in our test cases and sometimes quite badly in real-world use cases that are very different from our test cases. So we will adapt the algorithm over time based on data we collect, and it will take a few betas to get better.

Edited by DJJose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I was playing with it a bit more. NOTE: dont try to run it with any ai. I think I killed it. It was fine on the first leg of a 58 mile milk run to cvg, VR was awful.  On the way back the texture got gradually worse and worse , extremely blurry, and even worse, the cockpit textures went. Brought back nightmares of FSX. 

and the anti aliasing needed to be kicked up a notch to equal what I saw in 11.41 at a lower setting .  11.50 still needs alot of work. 

This beta b2 is two steps back compared to b1: error with every attempt to change aircraft, unstable fps, and stuttering problem returned.