Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

NEW: Prepar3D v5 CLOUDS

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Would be interested to see more cloud variations and more on what flying through them looks like pls!

• Like 1

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

Looks like it'll have a ton of potential, plus (hopefully) fix a lot of the issues we've had over the years, like shadows disappearing from clouds out of view due to culling, rotating billboards, lack of feel as you fly through them etc. 

My only concern so far is the resolution of the clouds, they often seem 'out of focus' and washed out, so I'll definitely miss (as one of the few things), the crispness of a cloud you could have under the old system. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

To be honest that video isn't showing much we didn't already see before. I would have liked them to actually fly through thick clouds a lot, show some storms, sky time lapses maybe too. Just something more dramatic than the occasional cumulus fluff here and there.

• Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Did you notice the horrendous stuttering at 2:52, 12:11, and 12:28? The lightning strike beginning at 6:44 looks comical. Also, at 11:50, someone can be heard quietly wincing or gasping for oxygen (apparently a new feature). There is texture popping at 10:08 and generally poor performance overall despite the graphics detail being muddy and bland. I'm definitely not buying v5.

• Upvote 2

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

I've already decided that FSElite are deliberately showing the Sim in a negative light. As Rob suggested, I wonder who's paying them.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Quasimodo said:

I've already decided that FSElite are deliberately showing the Sim in a negative light. As Rob suggested, I wonder who's paying them.

I don't see anything horrible in this video. It looks beautiful.

I doubt they're being paid by anyone.

Edited by Tuskin38

6 minutes ago, Quasimodo said:

I tend to agree, that video as titled clouds, does not IMHO showcase what truesky is capable of in terms of wx generation. Irrespective I will make my own judgement on Tuesday when I support the continued development of the platform 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

The video released by LM doesn't look any better than the videos released by FSElite. I'm still in disbelief about what I'm seeing. Yes, I know it will look better with add-ons. It would have to!

• Like 1

Robs Video is a far better show and tell of the clouds in Prepar3D V5:

An do agree that video that LM themslves put out was lousy

Please note that Rob's video is NOT using default scenery nor entirely default aircraft. He's using MSE Utah 4X and Carenado S330.

Edited by David Mills

I believe nobody is paying FSElite. Would be ridiculous as in a few days there will be so many videos showing off how it looks like. 

It's just that FSElite is showing the default scenery (with still horrible trees btw) and Rob is showing ORBX scenery. Also Rob should be using a much better machine than FSElite.

• Like 1

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

398/5000

Super white and non-contrast clouds. No plane enters them. Almost clear skies and micro pauses in the video. They are just white spots with edges that are reminiscent of the cream mousse.
Either someone is trying to discredit them, or they know we will buy all flightsimulator2020, and they run to sell something sooner. (This last option is not real because they seem to me to be very competent people.)
I regret my own opinion, but honestly: I have never seen such bad videos. (except this rob`s last one)
Edited by abranpuko
  • Like 1

We need that guy who screams in all the comparison videos. 🙂