Hmm...interesting.  Do you think the i9-10900KF would clock any higher than the i9-10900KF?    The KF seems to lack the onboard gfx, and I didn't know if that made any difference or not in heat/clocking with previous gens?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

10 minutes ago, Mace said:

Hmm...interesting.  Do you think the i9-10900KF would clock any higher than the i9-10900KF?    The KF seems to lack the onboard gfx, and I didn't know if that made any difference or not in heat/clocking with previous gens?

No apparent difference in speed - but the KF is lower in price, which in our case works well because on-board graphics is not something a flight simmer would need or want. 

18 minutes ago, Mace said:

i9-10900KF would clock any higher than the i9-10900KF?

Am I seeing double here, or do my eyes need testing?🤣

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vc10man said:

Am I seeing double here, or do my eyes need testing?🤣

My BRAIN needs testing.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-announces-its-10th-generation-core-processors-comet-lake-s-with-flagship-core-i9-10900k.html

I9-10900KF at $472 looks a good option don`t need graphics. 

PS the Z490 MB`s are expected to be on sale next month. 

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asus-announces-quite-a-lot-of-z490-series-motherboards.html

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

If these fit a Z390 my order would be in right now.. Thanks Intel for again making 1 chip for each board release. Really looking forward to ZEN 3 for this very reason.

• Like 1

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

1 hour ago, TurboKen said:

If these fit a Z390 my order would be in right now.. Thanks Intel for again making 1 chip for each board release. Really looking forward to ZEN 3 for this very reason.

With you there. Pity Intel's marketing policies.😩

16 hours ago, TurboKen said:

Sandy Bridge (2nd gen Core series e.g. 2700k) and Ivy Bridge (3rd gen Core series e.g. 3770k) used the same socket (1155/H2) and many motherboards released during the Sandy Bridge era (e.g. P67/Z68 chipset boards) supported Ivy Bridge CPUs with a simple BIOS update.

Haswell (4th gen Core series e.g. 4770k) used a different VRM design which necessitated a redesign of the VRM circuitry by motherboard manufacturers.  This accompanied a revised socket design (1151/H3).  There were 2 generations of Haswell desktop parts, Haswell, and Devil's Canyon (e.g. 4790k).  Motherboard manufacturers also released updates for 1st generation Haswell boards (e.g. Z87 chipset boards) to support the newer Devil's Canyon CPUs.

Since that time and until the launch of Z490, we have been on socket 1150/H4.  Skylake (6th gen Core series e.g. 6700k), Kaby Lake (7th gen Core series 7700k), Coffee Lake (8th gen Core series e.g. 8700k), and Coffee Lake Refresh (9th gen. Core series e.g. 9900k).  The early socket H4 motherboards (e.g. Z170 chipset board) supported 6th and 7th gen parts with a BIOS update.  

So the pattern here is that Intel and their motherboard partners have supported 2 generations of CPUs per initial chipset release each generation.  Sockets H2 and H3 only lasted 2 product generations, so if you bought the 2nd chipset released during that generation you would not have support for newer CPUs, but that is never expected with a socket change.  

It is only with the release of newer CPUs of > 4 cores which Intel specifies a new chipset/VRM design has been required each time.  BIOS hackers have demonstrated that this is not a hard and fast rule, and it is possible to run e.g. an 8700k on e.g. a Z270 motherboard.

On-topic:

I've been telling people on this forum to hold out for 10 series and now it's here (or at least it's been officially announced).  I think anyone on 6th/7th gen (or older) that held off on upgrading to 8th/9th gen would do well to upgrade.  8th/9th gen owners however, should probably hold off for 11th gen as it will (finally) feature the newer micro-architecture (either Sunny Cove or Willow Cove, depending on which rumor proves to be true).  These 11th gen parts ought to be noticeably faster than anything available today, rumored launch later this year, though I think a 2021 launch is more likely.

Edited by TechguyMaxC
  • Upvote 1

The new L1200 chipset more pins for future CPU support for PCIE upgrade due end of 20 or early next year, it will be worth me going to Z490 which is why I have been waiting cheaper CPU`s more cores.

Raymond Fry.

Looks great, I’m thinking one of the i9’s will be the replacement for my i7 7700k...

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

The 10900K's power consumption is intriguing. It has a 125 W TDP but could potentially consume something in the neighborhood of 325 watts attempting to maintain turbo. Whether or not that power consumption can be held and for how long is dependent on motherboard design and cooling solution. I'm having a difficult time determining what expected real-world frequency will be. Should we expect 5.3GHz single/4.9GHz remaining cores, 5.2GHz for two "best" cores/5.1GHz remaining cores, or 4.8GHz all cores? Are any of those figures realistic with a standard AIO cooling solution?

Then there's the PCIe 4.0 that nobody will be able to take advantage of yet but that will theoretically be available with an 11th generation chip. I'm interested in seeing real-world results but will probably be using an i9-10900K for an upcoming build aimed at running the Adobe suite.

If you look at the Z490 MB high end specs then the VRM has been beefed up, we should see real world test in a few weeks remember the i9-9900k is 5ghz on one core out of the box, so we will see what all cores OC will be with this CPU.

Der8auer had 10900K in his hands plugged it in to show the motherboard working but the embargo forbids him from showing in running in test.  

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Like 1

Raymond Fry.