Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

P3D v5 Must See Video

This answers many of my questions and concerns.

Thanks Rob!

Edited by DJJose
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I'm not seeing anything significantly different on cloud rendering over 4.5 though I know there's supposed to be, and I see despite excellent performance numbers w/ way more VRAM than I have available I see road traffic is still as herky jerky as it ever was.   I never use it because of that.  I guess it's in the same list of things to address as the now 15 or 20 y/o ATC is.   Very hard to conclude anything for me as I already have excellent performance in 4.5.  But yes I understand performance is significantly better, especially if you have the VRAM to support it.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

31 minutes ago, Noel said:

I'm not seeing anything significantly different on cloud rendering over 4.5 though I know there's supposed to be

Haven't you heard about trueSKY? It's a completely new atmospheric system (not only clouds) and generates actual volumetric clouds. The difference from the old system with its 2D textures is huge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Yes I have, and what I said was, I'm not seeing anything significantly different...in the posted video.  I'm still waiting to see ANYTHING jaw dropping over the jaw dropping I already see ;o)

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I'm about to start a GoFundMe to provide eye exams and prescription glasses to AVSIM members.

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

Come on bring it on--ANYTHING jaw dropping that I don't already see.  Standing by...

Here you go, in the very first few frames.  Looks rather spritely doesn't it!

Screen-Shot-2020-05-03-at-11-03-49-AM.jp 

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

19 minutes ago, Noel said:

Come on bring it on--ANYTHING jaw dropping that I don't already see.  Standing by...

Here you go, in the very first few frames.  Looks rather spritely doesn't it!

gd0R45f.jpg

• Like 11

These are the responses one gets when the responder can't respond to the challenge--cute little decoy.  Come on Alex, bring it on show me the jaw drop I don't already have in spades in 4.5.  Standing by...

• Like 1

Noel

Noel, you are being ridiculous. Pointing out inane flaws and why does it need to 'drop your jaw'? How about just a competent default weather implementation that is a large upgrade over 2D billboards, in sickly colours, with zero proper atmospheric haze and scattering, that needs weather engines to get pieced together in a believable manner -- And an additional 30-40 or $50 to have them come even close to this new default implementation. 

• Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Noel, there's a lot of randomness in TrueSky clouds  And that pattern that you showed is definitely not sprites. I've looked at enough TrueSky videos to conclude that the number of cloud forms seems limitless. The default setup only has four types: cumulus, stratus, cirrus and cumulonimbus. Unless Rob A can fill us in, we don't really know specifically how atmospheric conditions in P3d5 affect the cloud forms. The impact of wind is definitely there but how temperature and humidity impact cloud shapes, we'll probably have to wait until someone like HiFi clues us in. HiFi claims to have beta of Active Sky ready this week. Also, it will be interesting to see if the varying winds aloft issue is really a bug or if it's related to some turbulence setting that can be tweaked.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Noel, you are being ridiculous. Pointing out inane flaws and why does it need to 'drop your jaw'? How about just a competent default weather implementation that is a large upgrade over 2D billboards, in sickly colours, with zero proper atmospheric haze and scattering, that needs weather engines to get pieced together in a believable manner -- And an additional 30-40 or $50 to have them come even close to this new default implementation. 

Sethos, what I said was I haven't seen anything yet, in that video or others, that is significantly different than what I look at daily in 4.5.  I see jaw dropping nearly daily in 4.5, so yes jaw dropping is a worthy benchmark for me.   Of course it's an advancement I fully appreciate the concept I just have yet to see it play out into anything significantly different visually is the point, that's all.  Bring it on, the visuals, not the theoretical justifications for why it is visually superior.  That the first frame of 'volumetric' rendering appears exactly like sprite clouds do, no?  Why the heck is that when the rendering method is fundamentally different?  That is a completely valid question and rolling over by calling it inane is just more ad hominem.  Over the next days I will post shots from 4.5 tricked out as it is w/ atmospheric haze, wonderful coloration, etc.   So nope, haven't seen anything that is particular compelling over what we have in properly setup 4.5 no matter the advancements built in to 5.  

Noel

5 minutes ago, Noel said:

Sethos, what I said was I haven't seen anything yet, in that video or others, that is significantly different than what I look at daily in 4.5.  I see jaw dropping nearly daily in 4.5, so yes jaw dropping is a worthy benchmark for me.   Of course it's an advancement I fully appreciate the concept I just have yet to see it play out into anything significantly different visually is the point, that's all.  Bring it on, the visuals, not the theoretical justifications for why it is visually superior.  That the first frame of 'volumetric' rendering appears exactly like sprite clouds do, no?  Why the heck is that when the rendering method is fundamentally different?  That is a completely valid question and rolling over by calling it inane is just more ad hominem.  Over the next days I will post shots from 4.5 tricked out as it is w/ atmospheric haze, wonderful coloration, etc.   So nope, haven't seen anything that is particular compelling over what we have in properly setup 4.5 no matter the advancements built in to 5.  

But why do you need to make such a stern point of having to be convinced? Why must people convince you when you clearly find 4.5 to be superior? Stick to 4.5 or turn off TrueSky in v5, that's still an option. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 minute ago, Sethos said:

But why do you need to make such a stern point of having to be convinced? Why must people convince you when you clearly find 4.5 to be superior? Stick to 4.5 or turn off TrueSky in v5, that's still an option. 

Sure, let me explain.  I recently installed 4.5 and paid $199 to do it, spent a good 24h+ setting it up, configuring every little thing and you know how that goes, all that on top of building a new machine.  Updating all models of the four planes I use, FSCaptain, ASN4, the REX products, etc.  So I'm a little late to this party compared to some here for sure.  I'm duly impressed w/ v4.5 since I had been on 3.4 for 4y and counting.  It's remarkable just how much has improved a lot of which came from add-ons, and of course the 64bit environment is a plus.  One of the reasons I never upgraded to 4.x as I did not have issues w/ OOMs.   So really, I'm just convincing myself whether or not a move to v5.x now makes sense.  Thus far, it absolutely does not.  Why?  Well, in this video and others I've seen what I note mostly is superior performance.  But hey, RobA enjoys a very high end GPU so we would expect to see that in his video. And I already have stutter-free excellent performance.  Besides the additional $199, going thru the process of updating and installing and reconfiguring every little thing and waiting for product to be fully compliant, and of course there's the looming reality of MSFS.  If it turns out MSFS has serious issues that obviate going down that path which I believe is very possible, I will reconsider v5.x then.  I plan to sell my newly acquired RTX 2070 Super for a 3080Ti/Titan depending on specifics sometime around the end of the year.  At that time it should be clear which pathway I will pursue.   I know myself well enough state I have zero interest in multiple flight sims in my machine, except for brief periods until it's obvious which platform I find myself using. 

• Upvote 1

Noel

As I have said a thousand times over the years when this SAME discussion arises - unless you borrow MY eyes you cannot see the same thing as I do. Noel doesn't see what I see and he never will and nothing will convince him. He's not wrong and I am not right.

So how about we all enjoy what we see and move on.

Vic

• Like 6

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

3 hours ago, Noel said:

I'm not seeing anything significantly different on cloud rendering over 4.5 though I know there's supposed to be, and I see despite excellent performance numbers w/ way more VRAM than I have available I see road traffic is still as herky jerky as it ever was.   I never use it because of that.  I guess it's in the same list of things to address as the now 15 or 20 y/o ATC is.   Very hard to conclude anything for me as I already have excellent performance in 4.5.  But yes I understand performance is significantly better, especially if you have the VRAM to support it.

You missed the major point why I posted the video.

All I ask is for those who watch the video is this, what it again! There's a lot of beef in the burger.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.