Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

How do I make the clouds look like this video

It says X-Vision. What preset should I try?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Read (and/or translate) the first comment to the video. If still unclear, ask the author directly.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Jose, X-Vision clouds look really good (Impressive Preset with Lua script), however it doesn't work with Vulkan. It's 11.4X only.

• Like 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

10 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Jose, X-Vision clouds look really good (Impressive Preset with Lua script), however it doesn't work with Vulkan. It's 11.4X only.

I thought that X-Vision was updated to work with Vulkan. The only thing that did not work was the shaders. I can use Reshade for that. It works with Vulkan.

It looks like the clouds are SMP with ASXP weather engine & the Impressive Preset but with some user modifications.

I do not want to upgrade SMP so I will try the X-Vision clouds.

11 hours ago, Jean-Jacques said:

I don't know what I'm looking at in that video but you might want to try this freeware. I like it and you might also.

https://forum.thresholdx.net/files/file/425-cloud-art/

I also use the latest version of SkyMaxx Pro (v4.9.3). It's come a long way since the early versions.

Regards,

JJ

I've tried those clouds in the past and they flicker. The clouds in the freeware "vivid preset" do not flicker, but they do not looks as good as in the video. I might have to look into SMP with ASXP.

3 hours ago, DJJose said:

The only thing that did not work was the shaders. I can use Reshade for that. It works with Vulkan.

Negative. If you want the good looking clouds, you need the version with shader changes. Reshade can't replace that. the 11.50 version comes with clouds, but the whole X-Vision experience is not there without the shaders tweaks, which do affect clouds!

3 hours ago, DJJose said:

It looks like the clouds are SMP with ASXP weather engine & the Impressive Preset but with some user modifications.

Negative. Those are in fact X-Vision clouds, only a fool would run X-Vison and SMP. The reason you didn't get the same results is because of the missing shader tweaks (and maybe a varying X-Vision preset).

• Like 1

-

3 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Negative. If you want the good looking clouds, you need the version with shader changes. Reshade can't replace that. the 11.50 version comes with clouds, but the whole X-Vision experience is not there without the shaders tweaks, which do affect clouds!

Negative. Those are in fact X-Vision clouds, only a fool would run X-Vison and SMP. The reason you didn't get the same results is because of the missing shader tweaks (and maybe a varying X-Vision preset).

OK. I'll try X-Vision impressive.lua preset only in XP v 10.41.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, DJJose said:

OK. I'll try X-Vision impressive.lua preset only in XP v 10.41.

Thanks.

You meant 11.41 I'm sure . . . 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jean-Jacques said:

You meant 11.41 I'm sure . . . 

Yes Sir. I meant 11.41

I tried the presets in X-Vision and I still prefer the Vivid preset, but impressive is also very nice. The clouds do not look like the video, but they are close enough. I like the idea of just choosing a preset and installing, instead of copying the files manually. However, I still hate having to re enable my xp realistic and other .lua files.

On 5/24/2020 at 8:48 PM, Colonel X said:

Colonel,

I noticed that the Vivid preset has .lua scrips that install when using X-Vision UI.

Can I add the xp-realistic .lua scrip or any other scrip so that they are always enabled when I apply the preset?

I also want to create my own profile with different sky textures that I like and a light file that I like to use every now and then.

Thanks.

Jose

Yes you may add that, just make sure not to add scripts that "do the same", meaning manipulating the same datarefs. XP-Realistic should be fine. Check your /Scripts folder after X-Vision installation (application of "Solution"), X-Vision deactivates all other scripts and you have to rename them to enable them.

As for clouds, i've never seen anything better in terms of textures than X-Vision, but if you need to install other textures, make sure you do that after you apply your "Solution" in X-Vision, otherwise X-Vision will overwrite them (potentially every time you apply the Solution in X-Vision).

After installing X-Vision I recommend the this lighting tweak (overwrites the X-Vision data):

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/53686-my_xplane_night_lighting

• Like 1

-

Adding XP-Realistic did not work, but I finally found the perfect preset and I also learn how to add the files and save presets. Very happy with X-Vision!

On 5/27/2020 at 12:58 AM, DJJose said:

Adding XP-Realistic did not work, but I finally found the perfect preset and I also learn how to add the files and save presets. Very happy with X-Vision!

Would the perfect preset be the vivid one ?

• Like 1