Sign in to follow this  
767lover

next gen scenery, Austin Meyer

Check video from 5:30, where Meyer talks. It is pretty interesting and wonder how they will take on FS2020. The philosophy he is presenting does make sense.

Wonder what he means by next gen scenery: I think FS2020 already presents next gen scenery. Of course one key aspect of FS2020 scenery is that it uses satellite data with AI to recreate the globe which is next gen. Could the xplane team pull that off and even better?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 767lover said:

Wonder what he means by next gen scenery: I think FS2020 already presents next gen scenery. Of course one key aspect of FS2020 scenery is that it uses satellite data with AI to recreate the globe which is next gen. Could the xplane team pull that off and even better?

They would need a huge investment in infrastructure and staff. I don't think it's realistic until the required tech becomes more mainstream and available.

• Like 1

One of the side effect of FS20 development is that it should (will ?)  drive a fiercer competition between the three main competitors.  And I hope that the Lockheed team will be part of it and not just adding crutches  to an excellent sim (did I say v5 ?). They have  an enormous potential in aeronautical design, AI and imagery availability that P3D could benefit of (and seemingly does not).

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

NextGen scenery?, well, they're working on it. No more.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

1 hour ago, Baber20 said:

Unpopular opinion but I am actually more excited for what Xplane has to offer next than the release of MSFS.

Definitely not more excited but equally interested.  

1 hour ago, Baber20 said:

Unpopular opinion but I am actually more excited for what Xplane has to offer next than the release of MSFS.

Interesting. In what sense?

They are aware that the ground and skies in XP are outdated... I suppose something will be done for V12 world engine but the XP engine requires deep refactoring to match the power of Asobo's... Then the result of the refactoring + budget will tell what next gen means.

Perhaps refactoring is too expensive and it would be better to port the sim to another engine but then they already said they don't consider this...

But I heard them multiple times teasing the users with hints of a "next gen" scenery. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

43 minutes ago, Superdelphinus said:

Interesting. In what sense?

In a sense that I have seen and heard pretty much everything that MSFS will be bringing to the table. On the other hand it will be interesting to see what Austin can do with Xplane 12 and how he aim to compete. Vulkan was a huge step for them in the right direction but definitely that is not enough. What kind of 'ultimate scenery' he has in works? Not just that, but weather, atc, flight dynamics are some other areas that can be improved coming forward. So in that regard, lots of unknowns for Xplane 12 which I am eager to hear more news of in the coming months.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

Personally for me it’s because of everything that we’ve seen and heard about MSFS that makes it the most exciting sim right now. I wish X Plane the best and I hope for some healthy competition but we no nothing about what they bring to be remotely excited about X Plane 12.

5 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

In a sense that I have seen and heard pretty much everything that MSFS will be bringing to the table. On the other hand it will be interesting to see what Austin can do with Xplane 12 and how he aim to compete. Vulkan was a huge step for them in the right direction but definitely that is not enough. What kind of 'ultimate scenery' he has in works? Not just that, but weather, atc, flight dynamics are some other areas that can be improved coming forward. So in that regard, lots of unknowns for Xplane 12 which I am eager to hear more news of in the coming months.

I'm completing an XP11 flight now as I type this using the Vulkan beta.  It's a night flight out of Reno and the views and lighting were great at sunset and now in total darkness.  Yet, there is just so much in XP that needs serious work.  I really hope that they step up and meet the challenge that MSFS will provide.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

22 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

I'm completing an XP11 flight now as I type this using the Vulkan beta.  It's a night flight out of Reno and the views and lighting were great at sunset and now in total darkness.  Yet, there is just so much in XP that needs serious work.  I really hope that they step up and meet the challenge that MSFS will provide.

I think developing a great weather engine wouldn't be out of their reach at all and would improve the sim a lot. Next gen global scenery to me sounds unrealistic though. MSFS set the bar really high.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

well unfortunately l I cant see xplane 12 reaches close to fs20 cause the budget and team resources that Microsoft have will be impossible to come close to xplane team, competition is always good but  thiese are very different companies