Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

What are the biggest VRAM killers?

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

All settings will have some impact on VRAM, but these are the primary ones (adjust them as needed):

uc?export=view&id=1CCMrMjkB_46bVxib1YknR

uc?export=view&id=1aq7ws0fDgZknZgvdsMJt5

uc?export=view&id=1HMDXGW8B6m3wk7Z4GT-VD

Of course, your add-ons of choice will have a big impact to VRAM usage also.

In a default P3D V5 HF2 with DTS enabled and high graphic settings, I'm seeing about 4.7GB VRAM usage, 5.6GB without DTS enabled.

As far as VRAM usage in Flight Simulators ... they aren't 3D shooters, they are planetary simulators and will by definition use A LOT of VRAM, the more realistic one wants them to look, the more VRAM will be used ... it's an unfortunate reality of very long view distances, reducing the LOD radius can help somewhat but at the cost of not seeing distance objects that one would normally see in the real world at a given weather/atmospheric visibility.

I do have a video lined up of all 3 major platforms (XP, P3D, MSFS) doing the same flight at the same location to see where they are on FPS and VRAM usage.  But until MSFS is released I obviously can't make any information public and I have retested per each MSFS Alpha build and Beta builds of XP/P3D.  My recommendation hasn't changed, buy a GPU with as much VRAM as you can afford and go petition nVidia to stop the "sport" of charging ridiculous prices for more VRAM when it only cost $11.59 for 1GB DDR6.

Cheers, Rob.

Are these VRAM figures with Texture_Size_Exp at 10?

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

All settings will have some impact on VRAM, but these are the primary ones (adjust them as needed):

Rob, you don't use wide view option, is it on purpose? Does it affect VRAM?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Chock said:

If you really think that is true, wait while you try putting the sliders up in MS2020. 🤣

AFAIK MS2020 is using DX11 so it doesn't have the same issue where you can run out of VRAM like you can with DX12 programs

• Like 1

Mark Javornik

4 minutes ago, markjj said:

AFAIK MS2020 is using DX11 so it doesn't have the same issue where you can run out of VRAM like you can with DX12 programs

Maybe they will learn from what happened with P3D v5 and stick with DX11? Just because it's the latest tech, doesn't make it better.

Edited by DJJose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

15 minutes ago, markjj said:

Dunno if its sexier when DX11 begins to use shared RAM as VRAM an let your fps to go thru the floor.

Not to mention the lower usage of the GPU.

• Like 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

4 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Maybe they will learn from what happened with P3D v5 and stick with DX11? Just because it's the latest tech, doesn't make it better.

I just don't quite understand the logic you guys are using with P3DV5 Vs MS2020. In what universe do you think that you can have DX11 and throw in all that photo scenery to process + it has been said that a lot of the old legacy add on planes will work and then throw in all that fancy weather and somehow it is concluded that this is not going to require updated Video cards and faster processors. It just does not compute. I am sure that MS2020 will lead to some nice new graphics but as with every Sim ever...Pretty Pictures cost more money....always has and always will.

• Like 4

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

This is the worst P3D release ever. You spend half an hr preflighting and ctd on departure. And I don't really care if others comment that they have no issues...good for you. I have tagged along since FSX 4.0 and then P3Dv1, I have never had the staggering amount of nonsensical issues like this. LM is hopeless.  

• Upvote 2

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

32 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Well, it's "better" in the sense that you're finally putting your GPU to work and hence the better performance many people are seeing with V5 (and as I'm sure you know it's long been a problem that sims pound the CPU but don't make full use of the GPU).  Same with X-Plane Vulkan...vast performance increases but at the cost of needing to be more careful with VRAM usage.  DX11 may not give you VRAM problems, but it comes at the cost of performance and stutters.  Hard to say which is the best way to go at this point, but as GPU's become increasingly powerful and have more and more VRAM, Lockheed Martin and Laminar probably took a step in the right direction.

Mark Javornik

21 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

Dunno if its sexier when DX11 begins to use shared RAM as VRAM an let your fps to go thru the floor.

Not to mention the lower usage of the GPU.

Yeah, that's the disadvantage.  Hopefully as time goes on it won't cost so much word not allowed money to get a GPU with a decent amount of VRAM, but who knows

Mark Javornik

22 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

I have tagged along since FSX 4.0 and then P3Dv1, I have never had the staggering amount of nonsensical issues like this. LM is hopeless.

Sorry you are having so many problems. It really bites the big one when that happens....Been there before myself. I guess we will list you as undecided for now LOL!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

24 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

I just don't quite understand the logic you guys are using with P3DV5 Vs MS2020. In what universe do you think that you can have DX11 and throw in all that photo scenery to process + it has been said that a lot of the old legacy add on planes will work and then throw in all that fancy weather and somehow it is concluded that this is not going to require updated Video cards and faster processors. It just does not compute. I am sure that MS2020 will lead to some nice new graphics but as with every Sim ever...Pretty Pictures cost more money....always has and always will.

Only in this universe with the initial release. 😀 

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I'm just about giving up, considering I have my settings far, far lower than I ever had in P3Dv4 and it's the most unstable sim ever on the esp platform. And sorry most of us can't afford your $10K setup, so your results are irrelevant to most end users. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

9 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

and it's the most unstable sim ever on the esp platform

... and its mostly that some can't take the fact that its not their SIM but their SYSTEM that is failing.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

3 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

... and its mostly that some can't take the fact that its not their SIM but their SYSTEM that is failing.

Are you sure about that? I have no issues with any other piece of software, game, stress test. So try again...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

Yeah man, I'm sure the FOUR CTD'S I've had today are entirely because I haven't properly """""""""tuned""""""" my system. 

• Like 1