Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

What are the biggest VRAM killers?

1 minute ago, Nemo said:

Where exactly should this SimConnect.cfg be? I've checked "C:\Users\Name\Documents",  "C:\Users\Name\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Files" and  "C:\Users\Name\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons". No such file. From where would it come from?

If you don't have one in those folders then you don't have to worry about it.

• Upvote 1

On the contrary to some saying, theres a bit of careless from the part of coding and programming, they are sitting in top notch machines, and in their quest to improve gaming and graphics many improvements are gained from technology itself, building architecture...take MSFS2020 for example, they simply dont have to deal with terrain textures anymore, it comes ready-made by Bing (only game adjustments) so the gain a lot of processor and gpu energy that was wasted in other previous sims, and instead of thinking, ok, how can we share that gain with the user or make the game use virtual memory for as much as possible...no! they just want to have their job done by the deadline and cash their employee checks. And any bottlenecks they will be sorted  out in hotfixes or new versions (this way the company will still need them and wont fire them)

Besides...in the past high GPUs were either non existant or extremely dear, today 8gb has become common, so they dont care: "let them buy new GPUs

The average gamer has 4GB GPU and upgrading costs nearly like a new computer in some parts of the world. 

By what I read some users are seeing shift-z more than 6gb of vram being used. That is nonsense! bad programming.

On 6/7/2020 at 2:17 AM, howevr said:

I maybe overthinking this but why did LM reduce the return policy from from 60 days to 14 days. Cynical me says because they were aware V5 was not ready for prime time and to avoid a large number of returns. We will see when you add up the fixes in HF1 and HF2. Strikes me as an odd change at this time in P3D’s life cycle and suggests a lack of confidence in their release.

Will MS have a return policy for MSFS beta after release.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

35 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Will MS have a return policy for MSFS beta after release.

I believe you can play the game for 2hrs max and apply for refund (MS Store, not sure about Steam)

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

On 6/7/2020 at 2:34 PM, GSalden said:

Never had issues with FSX , P3Dv1 , PeDv2, P3Dv3, P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 and it is installed on 2 pc's....

If the software is to blame then we ALL would have issues... but that is not the case..

👍 spot on mate same here no issues what so ever I put it down to incompatable addons

On 6/6/2020 at 10:21 AM, Chapstick said:

The biggest VRAM killer is Prepar3d V5

LMAO....!!!

Chris Camp

On 6/6/2020 at 6:25 PM, Chapstick said:

Yeah man, I'm sure the FOUR CTD'S I've had today are entirely because I haven't properly """""""""tuned""""""" my system. 

That's just P3D for me...!!!

More tuning and adjusting than actually flying!

Chris Camp

10 hours ago, airservices said:

👍 spot on mate same here no issues what so ever I put it down to incompatable addons

I dont believe Solrayz

i dont berlieve Airservicers

i dont believe you

everybody is having CTDs how many VRAM you guys have, none of you three say so, this case solely dependant on VRAM

I have 3gb, (2.5gb available in shiftz)  and i can still fly in default scenery with a GA plane 1024x1024 textures, if its a heavy addon, sometimes goes up to 2.3 gb and it will crash

maybe you have 4, 6 or 8 gb vram. Its just a question of the scenery you are using and config settings.

Some folks see their vram rise up to 7gb and even having 8gb causes CTD cause part of the vram is taken by shaders

Edited by kapitan

After HF2 with GTX1080TI the maximum with sliders inside P3D is 9.8GB at KMIA in 4K FSLA320.

Otherwize about 7-8GB in 4K under "normal" conditions in 4K

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

15 hours ago, kapitan said:

I dont believe Solrayz

i dont berlieve Airservicers

i dont believe you

everybody is having CTDs how many VRAM you guys have, none of you three say so, this case solely dependant on VRAM

I have 3gb, (2.5gb available in shiftz)  and i can still fly in default scenery with a GA plane 1024x1024 textures, if its a heavy addon, sometimes goes up to 2.3 gb and it will crash

maybe you have 4, 6 or 8 gb vram. Its just a question of the scenery you are using and config settings.

Some folks see their vram rise up to 7gb and even having 8gb causes CTD cause part of the vram is taken by shaders

If you can't listen to other people there is not much hope for you

On 7/31/2020 at 4:30 PM, Michael Moe said:

After HF2 with GTX1080TI the maximum with sliders inside P3D is 9.8GB at KMIA in 4K FSLA320.

Otherwize about 7-8GB in 4K under "normal" conditions in 4K

Michael Moe

That's not too bad actually. 

Eric