Sign in to follow this  
RobertRent

Is FS2020 ray traced?

Is ray tracing used in FS2020?  I ask this because the in-hanger rotational videos have amazing reflections.

Is ray tracing used in FS2020?  I ask this because the in-hanger rotational videos have amazing reflections.

Edited by cmpbellsjc
Added regular font for people who can’t read that font

The latest articles I read mention that no it does not ... And I remember hearing Asobo mentioning in the early days when it was announced that they have their own tech or version of ray tracing. I could be mistaken though...

Edited by Claviateur
  • Upvote 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

3 hours ago, RobertRent said:

Robert, I updated your post in the regular font as well so that everyone can read. The font you originally used might be hard for people to read on mobile devices, it was for me. I couldn’t tell what the question was.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

4 hours ago, RobertRent said:

Is ray tracing used in FS2020?

No it's not. Not on release anyway. I believe I remember them saying it could be later down the road.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

This was answered by Lionel and Sebastien during the developers Q&A at the Renton event (starts @ 17:18), even if it was back in Sept 2019 I think it's still valid for now:

Edited by Jonathan Berthier

DXR is part of the DX12 API and MSFS (at least in Alpha) is currently a DX11 game. 

Edited by KenG

11 minutes ago, Greazer said:

Just for the record, I expect the next full version FS2022 (or whatever it's called) to have:

• Directx12
  • Direct physics
  • Ray tracing
  • DLSS

This Flight Sim release is a 10 year product. There won't be another release for at least that. There will, however, be constant updates to this one throught it's life. So they say. Ray tracing and DX12 will be in those updates along with whatever else they see fit to add.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Just now, Jazz said:

This Flight Sim release is a 10 year product. There won't be another release for at least that. There will, however, be constant updates to this one throught it's life. So they say. Ray tracing and DX12 will be in those updates along with whatever else they see fit to add.

Wrong the developer has a 10 year contract with MS.  Fool to expect 1 product in 10 years.  They would give up millions in sales.

1 minute ago, Greazer said:

Wrong the developer has a 10 year contract with MS.  Fool to expect 1 product in 10 years.  They would give up millions in sales.

I didn't say that. They did.

Just for the record, I expect a new Microsoft Flight Simulator every 2-3 years, and simmers will have to pay full price for new version.  And I think that is fine since they make a tonne of progress compared to LR.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Greazer said:

Just for the record, I expect a new Microsoft Flight Simulator every 2-3 years, and simmers will have to pay full price for new version.  And I think that is fine since they make a tonne of progress compared to LR.

Expect all you like but they said this was a 10 year product with constant updates. They won't be making their money from sales of the sim beyond the initial purchase. They have other ways to keep the income coming.

This is good for us. We get a constantly evolving and improving platform that we don't have to keep buying over and over again.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jazz said:

Expect all you like but they said this was a 10 year product with constant updates. They won't be making their money from sales of the sim beyond the initial purchase. They have other ways to keep the income coming.

This is good for us. We get a constantly evolving and improving platform that we don't have to keep buying over and over again.

You are getting mixed up in the words. A "product" could encompass numerous releases. Like Grand Theft Auto is a product line, but separately you can buy GTA 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc etc.  It's like that keep the mind open.

There are a few different ways that their previous statement regarding the product timeline and pricing can be interpreted. Has a definitive approach to pricing been made public? I have not seen one. Until that is made official, I think is is premature to assume anything.

• Like 1

Chris