Sign in to follow this  
highflyer2020

JULY 9TH, 2020 DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

14 minutes ago, Mengy said:

See, THIS is the kind of video I've been wanting to see from Microsoft for the past few months!!!!!  Do they just hate bush flying?  Show us some bush flying already!!!!  😁

I was planning to submit my video to the official forums, but it is wayyyy too large. So I made a much shorter video of just a landing on a remote dirt strip in the Idaho mountains this morning, but it is still way to big. [We are restricted to a very small file size]; perhaps I can find a video compression tool and try again, I'm just afraid that the quallity will be pretty bad compared to my 1440x2560 captured video.  I did submit screenshots of this flight (and other bush flying ones), but I never seem to win the screeshot lottery.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I appreciate all the winks also.. I think asobo/ms knew 100% compliance  was a big ask. They just dont want video/screen shots out there  that they dont get approval on.... or just total mouth diarrhea causing other people to form opinions too early .  And I'm sure they read more than just ChaoticBeauty 's posts. I think if the 'winking' got too loud and loose they might <cough> and point at the NDA if they thought they had too. 

[XP11 BETA/FS2020 BETA] [Pilotedge BETA/Vatsim BETA] 

3 hours ago, Arwen said:

I was planning to submit my video to the official forums, but it is wayyyy too large. So I made a much shorter video of just a landing on a remote dirt strip in the Idaho mountains this morning, but it is still way to big. [We are restricted to a very small file size]; perhaps I can find a video compression tool and try again, I'm just afraid that the quallity will be pretty bad compared to my 1440x2560 captured video.  I did submit screenshots of this flight (and other bush flying ones), but I never seem to win the screeshot lottery.

It would be great if the video makes it in next week!

[XP11 BETA/FS2020 BETA] [Pilotedge BETA/Vatsim BETA] 

4 hours ago, Arwen said:

I recommend using an application like StaxRip or HandBrake to transcode the video. How long is it? 2Mbps should give you 20 seconds of video while staying within the 5MB limit. Use x264 (I'm not sure if their video player can support a newer codec), two-pass encoding (for a strict file size), 8-bit colour depth (again for compatibility), and I would recommend the Slow preset with a maximum of 720p resolution. Also make sure to heavily compress or remove the audio file (I guess sound isn't as important in this case) to give the video more headroom.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Arwen said:

Man, just imagine the flight sim media we will be creating and enjoying after release.  It's going to be an incredible thing of beauty.

5CGr7LP.gif

6 hours ago, Wewk584 said:

It would be great if the video makes it in next week!

I'm going to submit what I can for a video, but Abslo has to select it.

6 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

I recommend using an application like StaxRip or HandBrake to transcode the video. How long is it? 2Mbps should give you 20 seconds of video while staying within the 5MB limit. Use x264 (I'm not sure if their video player can support a newer codec), two-pass encoding (for a strict file size), 8-bit colour depth (again for compatibility), and I would recommend the Slow preset with a maximum of 720p resolution. Also make sure to heavily compress or remove the audio file (I guess sound isn't as important in this case) to give the video more headroom.

I downloaded Handbrake an will give it a go in a day or so.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

3 hours ago, Arwen said:

I'm going to submit what I can for a video, but Abslo has to select it.

I downloaded Handbrake an will give it a go in a day or so.

Arwen, what is the reason for restricting file size so much? It's just mind boggling to me in 2020, even the photos could be at least at a resolution of 1440p... If you're going to promote an upcoming product, whty not give it all you've got...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

1 hour ago, canadiantree said:

Arwen, what is the reason for restricting file size so much? It's just mind boggling to me in 2020, even the photos could be at least at a resolution of 1440p... If you're going to promote an upcoming product, whty not give it all you've got...

They have had a superb grand plan for their PR but the amateurish way they manage the nuts and bolts never ceases to amaze me (and worries me)...  It took months for them to use YouTube, remember these extra short clips which took an eternity to download early on,  and still they don't make the most of it for the alpha testers. Same for Twitter and Instagram. The Discord server was set up by users as I understand.

• Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

22 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

The Discord server was set up by users as I understand.

The Discord server is an official one, as stated here

https://discord.com/channels/646017020412035082/672957753173475358

There are a number of official MS representatives around (like FS Captain Joe who has access to the tester database to check permissions for the closed areas, or Jayne Ivana who's an official MS community manager, and more).

On the other hand, I agree there are a numer of nasty problems. One are those access issues to the Insider login for half of a year now, for some. Add the official open fora coming "Soon" for more than a year now. 

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

2 minutes ago, pmb said:

The Discord server is an official one, as stated here

https://discord.com/channels/646017020412035082/672957753173475358

There are a number of official MS representatives around (like FS Captain Joe who has access to the tester database to check permissions for the closed areas, or Jayne Ivana who's an official MS community manager, and more).

On the other hand, I agree there are a numer of nasty problems. One are those access issues to the Insider login for half of a year now, for some. Add the official open fora coming "Soon" for more than a year now. 

Kind regards, Michael

I am not a Discord user but from what I understand from the June 30th update is that the server was set up first by alpha users and branded as MS official afterwards.  

Punda, once a casual Alpha member but now full on moderator, took it upon himself several months ago to build a community for Microsoft Flight Simulator on Discord. He envisioned it as a great place for simmers to learn and fly together and invited the community to join. Punda grew it from the ground up, until it was a vibrant corner of the internet for flight simmers of all backgrounds to unite. His passion led to what is now the Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord server!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, canadiantree said:

The official forum has a file size limit on uploads, as explained by HiFlyer in another thread. Based on recent videos from the development updates, I believe the limit is 5MB.

8 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

The official forum has a file size limit on uploads, as explained by HiFlyer in another thread. Based on recent videos from the development updates, I believe the limit is 5MB.

Sounds like an issue a 15 year old pc enthusiast who´s excited to have just set up his first internet forum would have.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I am not a Discord user but from what I understand from the June 30th update is that the server was set up first by alpha users and branded as MS official afterwards.  

Yes, this is correct. Anyway, with a lot of noise about pizza and stuff it's not a substitute for official fora. 

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

12 minutes ago, pmb said:

a lot of noise about pizza and stuff  

Why am I not surprised ?   But, I should maybe go there, not for FS20 mind you, but I am right now on Amazon selecting a pizza oven stone, they may help 😄 ! 

• Like 2

Dominique

It’s looking pretty good in my opinion.  The team appears to be fixing many bugs which is very good.  My main question is will we have the B737 or even the B737 max?  I think this has been answered before and my understanding is that PMDG is developing a 737 for FS2020.  As far as I can tell there won’t be a default 737 but obliviously there will be a default A320 neo which is also a good aircraft.  It also looks like the A320 will be pretty realistic for default with the FMS including the LNAV and VNAV functions.  And of course SIDS and STARS are included with updated NavData for free I think.