Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Question about OEM vs Retail activation licenses for Windows

Posted (edited)

I will be building a new computer soon and would like to know about the different type of activation licenses. There's OEM and Retail. I heard that OEM is much cheaper but if you upgade your computer such as change out the GPU or RAM, etc it will void your license and then you have to purchase a new one. Is this true? If that's the case, then it would be better to spend a little more to get the retail license instead, especially if you plan on keeping your machine for a long time and plan on upgrading it later.

Edited by captain420

Aaron Vinci

----------------

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz / Windows 10 Professional 64 bit / 32GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM / EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1080 FTW 8GB RAM / 128MB SSD (OS Drive) / 2x2TB HDD / 750watt PSU

2 hours ago, captain420 said:

I heard that OEM is much cheaper but if you upgade your computer such as change out the GPU or RAM, etc it will void your license and then you have to purchase a new one. Is this true?

No.  My ASUS motherboard went Tango Uniform late last winter, and I replaced it with my current EVGA.  At the same time I changed the memory.  No issues activating my 10 Pro OEM.  A few months ago I upgraded my video card... no issues.  Not even a phone call to reactivate...

Greg

i9-9900K @ 5.2GHz, EVGA Z390 Dark, EVGA 2080 Super driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 32GB 3900 Trident Z 16-16-16, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3D) and Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe, Malware 10 Pro 64.  P3Dv4.5HF2

That's good to know! Do you know a trustworthy site to purchase a Windows 10 Pro OEM activation key for cheap?

Aaron Vinci

----------------

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz / Windows 10 Professional 64 bit / 32GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM / EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1080 FTW 8GB RAM / 128MB SSD (OS Drive) / 2x2TB HDD / 750watt PSU

Sorry no, I bought mine from Newegg.

Good luck,

Greg

i9-9900K @ 5.2GHz, EVGA Z390 Dark, EVGA 2080 Super driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 32GB 3900 Trident Z 16-16-16, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3D) and Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe, Malware 10 Pro 64.  P3Dv4.5HF2

Installing W10 (complete list of links listed below video) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHS_3qi0kXg&t=397s

For what you're looking for, only watch the first minute of the video.

--- URCDKey Links --- Discount Code - TD20 for 20% off

Windows 10 Pro OEM - http://bit.ly/2RnAxEo

Windows 10 Home OEM - http://bit.ly/2FrJeGp

Windows 10 Pro Retail - http://bit.ly/2CjvjPB

Windows 10 Home Retail - http://bit.ly/2TMlfFY

Jean-Jacques

CYND, Gatineau-Ottawa Executive Airport, Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Thanks Jean for the help! 🙂 Greatly appreciate it!

Aaron Vinci

----------------

I'll second the suggestion for URCDKey. I've used them before. Also no problem with changing my MB and CPU and using my original key.

• Like 1

OEM is normally for Original Equipment Manufacturer & OEM operating systems are supposed to be installed & sold with new PC's. It is normally not supposed to be sold on it's own, as the equipment supplier normally has a bulk license for the product.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...