Sign in to follow this  
ray hughes

Bing 3D maps

17 hours ago, ray hughes said:

I am guessing MS2020 will reflect this out of date imaging.. 

I believe we will find out in time about that situation, but I would think that the Chine government is in control of that there. :mellow:

17 hours ago, ray hughes said:

but politics aside

If only we could! :wink:

17 hours ago, pmb said:

Unfortunately I can't. I hope myself the NDA would be lifted earlier than August 18th. Let's see.

Anyway, discussion of Google doesn't make sense as MSFS is Bing based and this isn't going to change.

Kind regards, Michael

I'd be happy to hear your opinion. Well-founded german Gründlichkeit. 😄

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

2 minutes ago, tweekz said:

I'd be happy to hear your opinion. Well-founded german Gründlichkeit. 😄

Perhaps you may, but I am afraid the day the NDA will be lifted there will be myriads of streams, opinions, and reviews by our beloved professionals streamers and reviewers, so no one will care about just an ordinary user like me.

Besides, AVSIM will be offline anyway.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

11 hours ago, ray hughes said:

I don't know.. A lot of talk about restrictions and aging data.. Let's face it.. In order for foreign airlines to fly into controlled airspace and land at Chinese airports, data and mapping is published and available as a matter of course.. Not secretive. True some areas of national security will be pixilated .. But honestly, I have seen hi res images of the flooding in South Western China from as recent as Last week.. The only thing I have not seen in detail is North Korea..

Google and Bing Maps are composed of both satellite and aerial imagery. Anyone with a satellite can get those images pretty easily. It's the aerial side used for the really detailed shots and photogrammetry that the Chinese government can tightly control, if not outright prohibit.

Thanks Ray. It is an interesting point that you have brought up. For those of us who are more in the "wait and see" group it is important. I am interested to see how this all pans out in the near future. I personally have never paid much attention to bing maps in the past as Goo-Goo earth has always done a pretty good job for me. It now has me wondering about the difference in the two. This is by no means a show stopper either way but now I kind of wonder what my local area looks like on bing as my interest are more of a low and slow type guy who enjoys "flying" close to home. 

• Like 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

11 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

This is by no means a show stopper either way but now I kind of wonder what my local area looks like on bing as my interest are more of a low and slow type guy who enjoys "flying" close to home. 

You can get a pretty good impression using the Earth 3D Application which is available (for free) from the Windows Store. It shows all regions using photogrammety plus "normal" regions just as aerial images (like Google Earth). Of course it lacks buildings added via AzureAI plus POIs, where included.

This is not a 1:1 correspondence as AzureAI makes postprocessing on imagery, too, but should give you a rough idea what to expect.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

19 minutes ago, pmb said:

This is not a 1:1 correspondence as AzureAI makes postprocessing on imagery, too, but should give you a rough idea what to expect.

Thanks...I will have a look later. I will be glad when this slow motion train wreak comes to an end on Aug 18th. It is so hard to dig through all the Magic Ferry Dust that has be dumped on this forum for the past year! LOL!!

Edit...The worst part is even if I like the new Sim I am Locked into ATT internet service here in Pensacola at a blazing 12 Mbps and we still have a guy from Pony Express who picks up and delivers our email about once every three weeks!!😂

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, pmb said:

I am afraid the day the NDA will be lifted there will be myriads of streams, opinions, and reviews by our beloved professionals streamers and reviewers

Ah Michael, It's all S O P. :wink: