Sign in to follow this  
GAJ52

What's The Future For HIFI Active Sky

8 minutes ago, Thomasso said:

We're talking specifically about Active Sky's role within the new MFS.

What did you think I was talking about?

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I don't see a place for them on this platform. Unless of course the built in real weather useless. So far from the videos that doesn't appear to be the case. So they would either need to find away to deliver something the current weather system doesn't or they will find themselves obsolete on the new platform.  They still have X-Plane 11 and P3D platforms to make products for so should be okay for a while. Until third party study level aircraft hit the market like PMDG and people start to make MSF there main simulator. Same can be said for REX, used there products for years along with Active Sky but unsure what they can bring to the table that the game doesn't do by default. Maybe a product like Worldwide Airports could see if the textures were far superior to the default's? 

Orbx should be okay, as they have the addon airport side. So even if they can't sell regions for the new platform they can sell addon airports and again they still have the other platforms.

GSX I think will be fine, as they can sell the product with a bigger selection of vehicle and also vehicle branding. Plus it was strange watching Chewy fly from Manchester to Heathrow and seeing the fuel truck basically be a pickup with a fuel tank on the back. Looked very American and out of place at a European airport to me. So think they will still have a place in the new world.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

What did you think I was talking about?

Not sure actually. There was something about cars and scenery.

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

I am pretty sure based on this forum is that not only will Active Sky close their doors on Us it will also in a matter of days put an end to Christmas and National Coffee Day. 

This will be closely followed by the closing of all McDonalds and Starbucks. These will of course cancel Newton's Laws and the Theory of Relativity. The Moon will survive but will move a bit further from earth which will all make it possible for fish to walk on the ocean's bottom and Pig's will finally be able to fly. OMG come on Aug 18th!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

2 minutes ago, Thomasso said:

Chock was right.  He was talking about cars in the rain and weather....that's weather scenery!!!

Stan

2 minutes ago, Thomasso said:

Yes, in response to you mentioning them.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

14 minutes ago, Thomasso said:

Really? Thanks for letting me know.

My pleasure. And thank you for letting us know that software products eventually will die.

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

While I don't think either HiFi or REX will be able to continue weather addons, both will be able to produce graphics products like alternative cloud sets and weather effects or anything related to autogen.  maybe better runway/tarmac textures/effects.(alternative)  HiFi created the 'clouds whipping by the cockpit' effect (which was actually my idea several years earlier 🙂  so they should be able to create more of that type of thing if they wanted.

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I hope this thread doesn’t dive into another weather addon vs default argument.

As for my opinion, I think MSFS has seriously raised the bar in terms of weather depiction and visual fidelity. So unless these developers present an addon which is very compelling and a step above the default weather, their future might be bleak. 

However, the best innovation comes when your survivability depends on it. If the weather addon developers haven’t hung their coats already, I’d reckon they’re already working on something new. 

• Like 1

OK, time to go byebye. Only time will tell what will happen to TPD's. This type of speculation accomplishes nothing.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors