Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Press review beta + vid

Just saw it at Flightsim :

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?21037-Flight-Simulator-2020-First-Impressions

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 3

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Nice... His machine is low spec and yet it's still quite good graphically... That lighting in the cockpit, the way the conditions outside affect the cockpit interior, amazing!

• Like 2

Matthew S

1 hour ago, MatthewS said:

Nice... His machine is low spec and yet it's still quite good graphically... That lighting in the cockpit, the way the conditions outside affect the cockpit interior, amazing!

He's running at high settings, and it runs great (I've seen some replies on his YouTube channel complaining about his FPS, but I honestly can't see what the issue is), and I have a i7-8700 CPU and GTX 1070 8GB, so I'm very confident now that I'll have no issues with it. I might be able to squeeze in some ultra settings at 1080p.

I'd be interested to know what bandwidth he has, but I can't see that mentioned. I have a 35 Mbps connection (usually stable). My contract has just expired, and I'd only consider a higher speed if it was really worth it for the world streaming in this sim. Otherwise the current connection speed is just fine for my current usage.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I have a 35 Mbps connection

You and I have similar systems and bandwidth.  I'm running ultra with reasonable frame rates at 1080.  Not stellar frame rates, mind you, just reasonable.  I am more interested in seeing what the sim is capable of than in fps.  Bandwidth isn't a problem in the Cessna 152.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

22 minutes ago, LHookins said:

You and I have similar systems and bandwidth.  I'm running ultra with reasonable frame rates at 1080.  Not stellar frame rates, mind you, just reasonable.  I am more interested in seeing what the sim is capable of than in fps.  Bandwidth isn't a problem in the Cessna 152.

Hook

That's great to know. FPS isn't as big a deal to me as it is to many, so knowing I can run at ultra is great news. As you say, there's so much more I'm interested in.

Do you also have 16GB RAM?

Re FPS, though: I noticed in another thread somebody mentioned performance improvement if you go into the NVIDIA 3D settings and change multi thread optimisation to "On" instead of the default "Auto". I did that last night and ran Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Previously, frame rate was noticeably bad running at ultra, so I had to turn some details down. Having changed that setting, I can now run it at full ultra settings with a smooth, locked frame rate.

Edited by March Hare
  • Like 2

That's certainly one of the better preview vids of the sim; one which gives a more honest appraisal of what we can expect, not least because the guy doing it actually knows how to operate an airliner.

As we know, most of the ground handling in the new sim is preposterously unrealistic compared to the real world to the point where what it is doing it is outright dangerous, i.e. fueling the airliner with the passengers on board but no steps on there in case an evacuation is necessary lol, but as noted previously, that's where TPDs can come in, or Asobo can tweak it further, assuming nothing changes prior to release.

ATC seems to do a few of the annoying things of preceding MS sims with which we are all familiar, but again, TPDs to the rescue. The autopilot on that A320 looked a bit shaky in the turn, not terrible, but not as smooth as it should really be. Nevertheless, it's actually pretty good for a default aeroplane.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

21 minutes ago, March Hare said:

That's great to know. FPS isn't as big a deal to me as it is to many, so knowing I can run at ultra is great news. As you say, there's so much more I'm interested in.

Re FPS, though: I noticed in another thread somebody mentioned performance improvement if you go into the NVIDIA 3D settings and change multi thread optimisation to "On" instead of the default "Auto". I did that last night and ran Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Previously, frame rate was noticeably bad running at ultra, so I had to turn some details down. Having changed that setting, I can now run it at full ultra settings with a smooth, locked frame rate.

Always have Threaded Optimization set to On.

• Like 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

41 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Always have Threaded Optimization set to On.

I've never paid much attention to those settings because games have usually run fine. This appears to have had a big impact, though; wish I'd looked into it sooner.

I watched a few of his videos the other day and posted them to my FsEconomy group’s Discord. We have seen lots of people with 2080ti’s and 1080ti’s but this guy is running a bit older processor and a 1660. It is probably the most honest look at performance. We don’t see a lot of the big stutters/fps drops from the other videos. But he is also being realistic with his settings too. Something everyone had to be humbled with in V5 and most likely should do in MSFS too.

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

Yes and I occasionally get close to maxing it.  I think a lot will depend on how much you fly over complex scenery, and how fast.

I would recommend 32, but that doesn't appear to be essential.

Hook

• Like 3

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

Hook

That's great to know thanks! I too have a very similar system with slightly faster ISP and have another 16GB RAM on order to get to 32 as it seems there is general agreement that is a good idea. I was planning on running it at 1080 resolution on high settings and hope that maintains good frame rates even in the densest scenery regions + dense weather? It also looks as though there are many different graphical options sliders where I may be able to try ultra instead of high settings to see if there is a sweet spot where I can find some middle ground between high and ultra? 🙂 

• Like 1

OMG! Did anyone else notice that GPU truck's rotating light was illuminating the underside of the panel! That totally destroys my immersion! Unacceptable! Cancel pre-order!!!! 🤣

Chris

10 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

OMG! Did anyone else notice that GPU truck's rotating light was illuminating the underside of the panel! That totally destroys my immersion! Unacceptable! Cancel pre-order!!!! 🤣

Next thing you know, it gonna rain in the cockpit

• Like 5

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Next thing you know, it gonna rain in the cockpit

Would that make it a wet lease aircraft?😉

• Like 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)