Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

Stuck on 'Press Any Key to Start'

Guys,

I do a lot of dumb things, but every once in a while I do something smart. Today was one of those days. While I realize this might be (and in fact is) too late for most of you, my advice is:

Create a system restore point before installing.

Thankfully I did that. I ran into a very weird issue, which I will spare you. But after trying a million different things, I just hit System Restore (which I didn't want to do because I didn't want to lose 4+ hours of downloading), went back to the beginning and just started from scratch. Seems to be working thus far.

You can check System Restore, you may have an automatic one saved from the past  day or two, and restoring back to that point may do the trick.

Good luck, fellas. I almost launched my PC to FL360 I was so frustrated.

I had the same issue, and previously uninstalled all Xbox related content.

Launcher installed thru store, but got stuck in press any key/black screen.

The only thing I need to make the installation continue was to install "Xbox Identity Provider"

No need for any game bar, xbox beta or sign into an live account, or active any more xbox function in windows.

The only option enabled is "Gaming mode"

An simple error message of the missing service would have been good help, and I'm not interested in install any special apps for more non useful functions, but not surprised since it's after all Microsoft..

• Upvote 1

Hi All, 

I got passed the black screen today finally. This is how. I had to go to the microsoft store and install xbox game pass. Run the program and login to your xbox account. Then run the Flightsim2020 as admin. Viola.

Has anyone found a way to run MS Flight Simulator 2020 on Windows 10 without having to have an Xbox game pass account?  When I purchased, there was no mention of the need also to pay a monthly subscription as well so I prefer not to do this.  I eventually downloaded the whole package (the difficulty achieving that is now history) and I can get to "press any key to start" and then I get the progress bar and the music but then it always hangs up, either with a black or orange or green screen, requiring a computer hardware reset.

Thank you Wergilius

Your solution, which by the way, was solution attempt number 57... worked.

The game actually worked on the first day for me. Then today i got the press any key loop.

The weird thing is, Xbox Identity Provider was already installed on my MS Store, however when i searched for it, i got the "Get" button next to it. So i "Got" it again which then let me enter my windows live email and password.

PS. The Microsoft Windows Store is a piece of absolute dog word not allowed.

This needs to get pinned please, if it isn't already somewhere.

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px

Having spent two frustrating days I have finally got beyond “press any key” by installing the x-box app and launching there. 
it is currently downloading 90+ Gb of data. Fingers crossed that by the morning I will be up & running. 
Paul

******* Christ. It happened again today. Same solution as before. Go to MS Store, Library, Click Xbox Identity Provider, and click Get to install it again. What a joke.

• Upvote 1

Ok so making this post as a new member as after 2 days of trials and tribulations I finally managed to get the download going. I tried absolutely everything and was getting the ucrtbase.dll crash on the 'Press Any Key' screen

What fixed it for me was essentially not having my wireless keyboard and mouse USB dongle or xbox gamepad attached. I used a remote connection from my laptop to my desktop to install and launch the game with no USB devices other than my wifi attached. It then finally didn't crash and the long 91GB download has begun.

Not saying it is absolutely the reason why it worked but after over 20 download and launch attempts using every other solution I could find online this is what got it going.

Well, spoke too soon, downloaded the whole thing and now it crashes as soon as it starts to show the initial game settings screen, has the same ucrtbase.dll error, and this is without anything plugged in via USB.

Back to the drawing board, took nearly 7 hours to download, don't want to have to do that again!

Hi All

I'm the guy who after a lot of trouble successfully downloaded MS Flight Simulator on my Windows 10 PC, but then found that it hung up after starting (I got to the music and the "press any key to start" and some photos of aircraft and scenery, but then got a black, orange or green screen, although I would add that sometimes you get other colours). 

I asked whether it was possible to run Flight Simulator 2020 without a game pass requiring a monthly subscription.  I think the consensus in reply was that provided you have Xbox Identity Provider loaded then Flight Simulator 2020 will run.

So I went into Microsoft Store after logging in using my Microsoft account and tried to instal Xbox Identity Provider but it said "This Product is Installed".  Obviously I already had it.

So I started all the Xbox applications I could find on my computer - that is, the Xbox app, the Xbox console companion, and the Xbox game bar.  I have no idea what these do, and I have no interest in them at all but started them to see if I could get Flight Simulator 2020 to run.

I ensured I was logged into Xbox online with my Xbox user name and then tried starting Flight Simulator 2020 as administrator, and also tried staring Flight Simulator 2020 from the Xbox apps.

Guess what!  In both cases, I got to the music and the "press any key to start" and some photos of aircraft and scenery, but then the computer hung up with a black, orange or green screen, (although I would add that sometimes you get other colours), requiring a hardware reset.

If anyone has any other ideas I would be grateful.

On 8/19/2020 at 5:03 AM, mangoninja said:

Thank you Wergilius

Your solution, which by the way, was solution attempt number 57... worked.

The game actually worked on the first day for me. Then today i got the press any key loop.

The weird thing is, Xbox Identity Provider was already installed on my MS Store, however when i searched for it, i got the "Get" button next to it. So i "Got" it again which then let me enter my windows live email and password.

PS. The Microsoft Windows Store is a piece of absolute dog word not allowed.

After simming for several days this is exactly what I ran into today. What a joke. Stuck on that stupid screen.  Installed, uninstalled. Googled but it wasn't unitl I googled the exact problem I got his thread and yes the solution worked.Phew!

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

15 hours ago, jorgon said:

Hi All

I'm the guy who after a lot of trouble successfully downloaded MS Flight Simulator on my Windows 10 PC, but then found that it hung up after starting (I got to the music and the "press any key to start" and some photos of aircraft and scenery, but then got a black, orange or green screen, although I would add that sometimes you get other colours). 

I asked whether it was possible to run Flight Simulator 2020 without a game pass requiring a monthly subscription.  I think the consensus in reply was that provided you have Xbox Identity Provider loaded then Flight Simulator 2020 will run.

So I went into Microsoft Store after logging in using my Microsoft account and tried to instal Xbox Identity Provider but it said "This Product is Installed".  Obviously I already had it.

So I started all the Xbox applications I could find on my computer - that is, the Xbox app, the Xbox console companion, and the Xbox game bar.  I have no idea what these do, and I have no interest in them at all but started them to see if I could get Flight Simulator 2020 to run.

I ensured I was logged into Xbox online with my Xbox user name and then tried starting Flight Simulator 2020 as administrator, and also tried staring Flight Simulator 2020 from the Xbox apps.

Guess what!  In both cases, I got to the music and the "press any key to start" and some photos of aircraft and scenery, but then the computer hung up with a black, orange or green screen, (although I would add that sometimes you get other colours), requiring a hardware reset.

If anyone has any other ideas I would be grateful.

Yep my problem solved by installing the Xbox identity provider file. This is after running it many times the last few days.  However, I noticed Windows also had an update today so I ran that first. It reinstalled the whole thing as I wanted and now it's good to go. Before after I installed it only installed the 1 gig file. This time I got by the press any key and it went on to install and update everything else.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

I got the Aerosoft 10 disc package
All in installed- verified and then asked for Game Disc-what’s that?

UninstallEd all Microsoft Flight Sim applications via Win 10 -Settings etc
Reinstalled all 10 discs

Validation not accepted but must have been in system as arrived at request for a Game Disc again!

I thought  I would try Disc 1 -why?-and lo and behold off we went arriving at MSFS 2020 main screen menu (after some Microsoft updates installed)

First flight to Courchavel with default settings-landed safely

Squirrels 3 videos to set system up maybe

Whew!!!

xxd09

I'ts now running for me on Windows 10 without any Xbox stuff (I believe).

I'm afraid I  do not know exactly what my issue was, because following a series of hardware resets required by the hang ups of Flight Simulator 2020 when it was loading after "press any key to start", my motherboard failed.  After disconnecting everything other than the boot up SSD, keyboard and mouse, it failed to start at all.

A new motherboard got me back up and running, but it was trying to load Xbox on starting up and that was on another SSD which I had not yet connected.  So I unistalled Xbox entirely, except that I could not unistall Xbox Game Bar for some reason (unistall button greyed).  Instead, I swtiched off all its permissions.  So Flight Simulator 2020 is now loading OK.   I do not know whether installing and unistralling Xbox caused Xbox identity provider to remain.  It doesn't show up in the list of Apps when using Settings, Apps.

Also I do not know whether the original problem was a hardware problem.  It seems possible the motherboard was on the way out anyway, but it was certainly within minimum specs for Flight Simulator 2020.