Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Do you have to "babysit" the download?

I was wondering if I could start the download here on the East Coast at Midnight, and go to bed!  Are there issues and questions along the way that makes it necessary to be at your computer for the entire download?  Is the download reliable enough that once you get it started, it is self-sustaining and continues until it is finished?  What has your experience been with this large download?

Also, if I decide to just download it tomorrow morning, is it possible to let it download in the background while you still use your computer for other things?  

I would like to have a flawless download experience, obviously, but I'm interested in the amount of intervention needed once the download starts.  PLUS, I'd like to get some sleep tonight!

Thanks,

Stan

Edited by spilok

I had to, it was constantly crashing to desktop, locking up etc. It's taken nearly 11 hours up to now and still isn't complete, when it should have taken about five and a half, and that's because of the cack installation process which is so unstable. Using other stuff on your computer seemed to prompt one or two crashes to desktop for the download interface. Several times it would not even recommence the download, because there was no GUI to enable it to happen (there is a fix for this listed on the new MSFS web forum, but that's only just been posted, so it was no use to me).

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

I had to, it was constantly crashing to desktop, locking up etc. It's taken nearly 11 hours up to now and still isn't complete, when it should have taken about five and a half, and that's because of the cack installation process which is so unstable.

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

I had to, it was constantly crashing to desktop, locking up etc. It's taken nearly 11 hours up to now and still isn't complete, when it should have taken about five and a half, and that's because of the cack installation process which is so unstable.

You are still installing?

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

1 minute ago, FrankR409 said:

You are still installing?

Yes,

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 minute ago, Chock said:

Yes,

The Kiribati coffee shops have fast internet, maybe you could go plug in over at one of them...get a Latte and take in the scenery.

• Like 2

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

I had a CTD when I inadvertently bounched a button on my Logitech Wireless F710 controller.

I think it popped up as a new controller in Windows and this crashed MSFS. This is an issue that has been already reported.

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

Will try in my own timezone at midnight utc+2 (in 20 minutes), see for 15 minutes and then go to sleep for 6 hours.... and wake up around 6.30 utc+2 to see if download continue... 

Kinda off topic but can I install in on a separate dedicated drive? Not sure if this works the same way as fsx and p3d that Im  used to. Just want to make sure

First couple of attempts To install the mouse cursor behaved mad, and had CTD the PC stack. After all now, finally checked for updates and now is installing. 
im sure with 30 MB’s will take 10 hours

6 minutes ago, MrSpeaker said:

Kinda off topic but can I install in on a separate dedicated drive? Not sure if this works the same way as fsx and p3d that Im  used to. Just want to make sure

Sure I install it on d: SSD same as my p3D

10 GB downloaded so far...80 more to go 😑

46 minutes ago, MrSpeaker said:

Yes, when you click "Install" at the Microsoft Store page it gives you a selection of your available drive to install. I selected my new nvme drive and it installs there, or at least I hope it will..

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Download window crashed when I plugged in a different USB mouse. Thank God I was only 400 mb into the download when I realized that happens. Since then haven't touched the laptop at all and it's been good... only 45 minutes to go after waiting all frickin day!

Edited by NightOfDreams

I didn't have to so far, but I would urge you not to pause the download and close the client. I rebooted my system to prepare it for an overnight download, after safely pausing the download and shutting down the game, and then the client attempted to set up my experience and load the game without being fully downloaded. The set-up prompts were full of gibberish and after passing all the steps, the screen would go black with only the loading bar slowly filling, only to do nothing once it was full. I had to find the installation files and delete what I think were some configuration files for the download to resume where it left off.

By far the worst download client/launcher I've ever seen. Very disappointing. This should never have left Beta. Also avoid plugging or unplugging any USB devices, as it will cause the client to freeze and eventually shut down on its own.