Sign in to follow this  
EmaRacing

Complex weather perfectly simulated

4 minutes ago, Slides said:

This is going to attract the hardcore meteorology crowd and they're going to tell us we're all weather casuals and point out all of the missing features and incorrect things. 😀

Can I count as one ?

Well, yes, details still lacking, but heck! Not really bad at all for a start !!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

We had issues with the weather in the alpha/beta. It seems they've smoothed a lot of it out just in time for release. I downloaded last night and still haven't got to try the release version. 

BUT, I will say that even if you get some clear sky bugs, it appears to be a data issue and not an engine issue, which is good (input data is a lot easier to fix than core issues). When the engine has the right data, it's simply unbeatable and the most realistic visual and wind depiction I've ever seen in a sim, right down to buildings, trees, and mountains affecting the flow of the winds. 

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bonchie said:

BUT, I will say that even if you get some clear sky bugs, it appears to be a data issue and not an engine issue, which is good (input data is a lot easier to fix than core issues).

Is there any remedy for the 'Clear Sky Bug'? I just tried LYBE (which should have TS (or at least rain) - and when selecting Live Weather, it gets raindrops and indication, that the location has rainy conditions... but when it's loaded up, totally clear skies.

Is there some way of showing the current weather conditions for you location in the sim? (I usually used ActiveSky for that...) 🙂

When the weather engine is working - WOW! 😄

🙂

1 minute ago, travelabroad said:

Is there any remedy for the 'Clear Sky Bug'? I just tried LYBE (which should have TS (or at least rain) - and when selecting Live Weather, it gets raindrops and indication, that the location has rainy conditions... but when it's loaded up, totally clear skies.

Is there some way of showing the current weather conditions for you location in the sim? (I usually used ActiveSky for that...) 🙂

I have exactly the same thing in LYBE as i reported above. Something is broken. I was thinking its fixed after restart but it isnt.

• Like 1

Roi Ben

5 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

I have exactly the same thing in LYBE as i reported above. Something is broken. I was thinking its fixed after restart but it isnt.

A bit of a hit and miss, but when it hits, it hits HARD, also when it misses, it misses hard.

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

So i am not sure yet but i think our issue has something to do with going from fullscreen to windowed and multitasking. I think it breaks the live weather and only restart fix it.

• Upvote 1

Roi Ben

Just now, roi1862 said:

So i am not sure yet but i think our issue has something to do with going from fullscreen to windowed and multitasking. I think it breaks the live weather and only restart fix it.

Interesting... does it work in fullscreen/windows mode for you? What does work?

🙂

40 minutes ago, Slides said:

This is going to attract the hardcore meteorology crowd and they're going to tell us we're all weather casuals and point out all of the missing features and incorrect things. 😀

As someone in with the tropical meteorology community, I’m dying to fly into what will likely be known as Hurricane Laura when it’s in the NE Caribbean in 3-4 days. I’m incredibly curious how the FS2020 weather engine will model the inner core of a Hurricane. I’m assuming it will not be very realistic on a technical level.

• Upvote 1

Just now, travelabroad said:

Interesting... does it work in fullscreen/windows mode for you? What does work?

I noticed this: i started the sim in fullscreen (my default), everything working good. and then to post here my experience i pressed alt+enter and multi tasked to chrome. After that i went back inside and started another flight in another location, boom, clear skies no clouds in live weather anywhere. After restart its all good.

• Like 1

Roi Ben

1 hour ago, roi1862 said:

I noticed this: i started the sim in fullscreen (my default), everything working good. and then to post here my experience i pressed alt+enter and multi tasked to chrome. After that i went back inside and started another flight in another location, boom, clear skies no clouds in live weather anywhere. After restart its all good.

I think you're right. I windowed the sim, went to 3rd party application (Chrome in this case), and back in. The Live Weather was still there, upon entering (and making it full-screen again), but when starting a new flight, the weather (which should have been cloudy) was all clear skies... 

• Like 1

🙂

4 minutes ago, travelabroad said:

I think you're right. I windowed the sim, went to 3rd party application (Chrome in this case), and back in. The Live Weather was still there, upon entering (and making it full-screen again), but when starting a new flight, the weather (which should have been cloudy) was all clear skies... 

Could it be that i managed to reproduce the weirdest bug ever ? 🤣

• Like 2

Roi Ben

1 hour ago, travelabroad said:

In the beta, we would try different servers and sometimes that would fix it. 

But this appears to be a bug with the sim losing the data in certain situations (alt-tab).

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 1

Yhh just happened again even without multitasking. Crashed, restarted flight, live weather gone.

Roi Ben