Sign in to follow this  
spilok

If we EVER needed a helicopter......it is NOW!

I am enjoying MSFS with GA flying over some of the spectacular scenery in this world.  However, if we EVER needed a helicopter...it is NOW!  I really want to explore some of this scenery very low and very slow.  I'm sure it could prove to be quite an experience.  I would like to land at an airport somewhere in this world, get out of my plane, and fire up a copter.  I think this sim is a natural sim for helicopter flying.

There's a lot to learn in this new sim, and I'm struggling with navigation.  Watching these Asobo experts utilize the Garmin and the FMC is mind boggling to me. I'll get there, but it's going to be a learning curve.  So, for now...I would just like to explore the many airports, cities, countries and points of interest in this sim.

Please, roll out a helicopter as soon as possible.  I think we all would love to have one.

Stan

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, spilok said:

I am enjoying MSFS with GA flying over some of the spectacular scenery in this world.  However, if we EVER needed a helicopter...it is NOW!

I second this. Rotary wing in this platform would be awesome. 👍

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

I really wanted a Heli when finding my home....a fly by was good, but I want to be able to hover...and take in all in...visually.

It will take time for MSFS to get helicopters...but when they do....it will open up a whole new world of experiences in the sim.

Until then, there is so much to explore with what we have already.

I agree, the scenery is PERRRRRFECT for Heli flying...

• Like 1

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

3 hours ago, spilok said:

Please, roll out a helicopter as soon as possible.  I think we all would love to have one.

I would love to fly a helicopter with this new scenery, but rather than "as soon as possible" I want Asobo and 3rd party devs to do it right, not some slapdash tweak of the current flight model to get one on the market soonest.

For example, the current biplane in the sim fakes it with a single airfoil representing both upper and lower wings. I don't want to see similar shortcuts when modeling a rotary wing aircraft. Maybe there are ways to approximate something like retreating blade stall in a helicopter by using a single large disk instead of individual blades, but it sure seems to me that individual blade modeling like X-Plane (and I think DCS too?) is the way to go. 

We need other things that are unique to helos, like "mast bump" with teetering two-blade designs, vortex ring state, realistic autorotation, transition in and out of ground effect. We also need realistic 3-axis and 4-axis autopilots, and force trim release on the cyclic for the larger helicopters. 

My hope is that like X-Plane, these features are built into the default flight model for 3rd party developers to use, so they can concentrate on other things like the systems and 3D modeling.

What I wouldn't want to see, is every developer having to build all these unique aspects of helicopters outside the sim as an add-on to the flight model. That would limit the number of great 3rd party helicopters available in the sim to just a few developers who could tackle the job. 

So get with it Asobo, my money is ready if you do this right!

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

The DCS Huey can be challenging enough to fly. It's going to be something else to fly a helo in MSFS with its air mass simulation.

Edited by Slides

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

We have a mini helicopter, it's called the drone. 😛

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

19 minutes ago, captain420 said:

We have a mini helicopter, it's called the drone. 😛

Boo! Hiss! 😀

I know what you're saying, but an immersion-breaking camera that doesn't even fly like a drone is a poor substitute. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

8 hours ago, Paraffin said:

For example, the current biplane in the sim fakes it with a single airfoil representing both upper and lower wings. I don't want to see similar shortcuts when modeling a rotary wing aircraft.

Do we know for certain that the lift data that is being represented in the middle of the biplane is not the mean centre of lift as opposed to a singular “invisible wing”? I think this is just a misunderstanding of the graphics they’ve used to show the aero data. I’d like to know what the actual flight model is using to interpolate lift as opposed to the in game visualizer... Based on some of the other shortcomings in the stock aircraft I wouldn’t be too surprised if you’re correct, but I personally haven’t seen anything definitive about it yet...

7 hours ago, Paraffin said:

Boo! Hiss! 😀

I know what you're saying, but an immersion-breaking camera that doesn't even fly like a drone is a poor substitute. 

I just played around with the drone around San Diego, absolutely amazing. This sim has features at launch that makes other sims seem old fashioned and boring at this point. 

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

7 hours ago, Paraffin said:

Boo! Hiss! 😀

Program your joystick, yoke, or x-box controller to "fly" the drone camera around!  Up/Down, Ascend/Descend, Fly Right/Left, Fast/Slow...😇

• Like 3

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I just drop my Cessna on the nearest lake, river or road and send my drone around. Using the Xbox controller for that is quite intuitive and really much better to get a look at a city. You can even "walk" around these crafted airports.

The devs mentioned about a week ago that they will be releasing a free update that will include about 4 helicopters. It will then be possible to make proper 3rd party helicopters as well. As much as I'd like one now, I'm glad they put that on the back burner to get this out now. 

• Like 1