Sign in to follow this  
thegeneral101

Stuttering Frames - Whats Causing it?

28 minutes ago, markjj said:

The sim still has performance issues but here are the things which have helped me quite a bit:
1.  Turning off all AI aircraft traffic
2.  Setting all "airport life" sliders to zero (vehicle, ground aircraft, and worker density)
3.  Reducing land and sea traffic
4.  Turning off V-sync in the sim, and and enabling it through nvidia control panel along with a frame rate limitation of 60
5.  Ensuring "maximum performance" is checked in the nvidia control panel
6.  Turning off rolling cache
All of these things have reduced stutters for me and increased average FPS to the point that it's playable even in big cities and large airports.  Try it out and let me know how it does

Can you clarify the Nvidia setting? So you move the slider to "maximum performance" and let the sim control the graphics settings? So I have that slider almost all the way over to the other side, and am assuming it forces more rendering. But maybe I should try to go to max performance in nvidia panel and then ultra settings in the sim? 

What is the default cache size and setting? I thought it was turned off by default when I first looked but when I checked now it was on and set to 8GB. I turned it off but not sure if it made a difference in terms of occasional stutter since I keep flying from different places each time.

Edited by sanh

Does it also stutter in single screen for you?

If not you could experiment with render scale, texture size and overclocking the 2080.

Render Scaling makes a big difference.  They recommend setting it to 80 in the 'Tips and Tricks' section.  I accidentally turned it up to 200 and the sim almost ground to a halt.  Down from 60 FPS to about 12.

Worth a try. 

• Like 1

Disable rolling cache altogether if your connection isn't metered and it's pretty strong, above 40MB DL....

Thomas Derbyshire

The major issue I see here is the missing guidance of the people who created the sim. It's easy to have the computer determine whether you are medium, high or ultra. It's a different story to explain to people what the settings do. MS failed on that. Some people will move all sliders to the right, others all to the left. This won't help you. I am not saying that P3D is better on this. XP however is, its developers at least try to explain to you what consequences your settings may have. 

• Upvote 2

Hans

I didnt read everything in this thread because from what you said in your OP, its very obvious what is causing your stutters. It is spad.next. It uses simconnect. Simply turn it off and your sim will be much better. 

• Like 2

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

I noticed I was getting quite jerky performance even though it was saying I was getting 60 FPS but things were definitely jerky and looking around the cockpit using TrackIR was not smooth at all. Weirdly I found that having the avsim forum open was causing the issue. Once I closed the forum everything was smooth again. Not sure what was going on to cause this. I use Edge as my browser by the way.

6 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Another thing I've tried because it came up in another thread:

1. Set VSYNC to half refresh rate in NVIDIA control panel.

2. Set VSYNC on and to 60FPS in Asobosim.

Result: No changes, see above.

There is a VSYNC bug on some systems but it has nothing to do with stutters. With VSYNC on I was stuck at 18-20FPS no matter what graphics settings. With VSYNC off I was looking at 30FPS.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

1 hour ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Ich habe nicht alles in diesem Thread gelesen, weil nach dem, was Sie in Ihrem OP gesagt haben, sehr offensichtlich ist, was Ihre Stottern verursacht. Es ist spad.next. Es verwendet simconnect. Schalten Sie es einfach aus und Ihre Sim wird viel besser. 

where do I turn it off

i7-10700k 5,1 GHz - 18 GB RAM - ASUS 1080Ti  - Dell G-Sync Monitor

2 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

its truely heartbreaking to read all these comments.  id pinned my hopes on this new shiny sim "years in the making" and beta tested by 1000s of people. 

back to p3d 😞 

I wouldn't base your decision on the comments in this forum. There's an awful lot of whinging and griping going on in the face of the most enormous leap forward in flight simulator for decades. Why not try it for yourself? I've had three of the best days flying in my life & have completely forgotten about checklists and engine priming routines - for the time being.

It's a blast.

And - staying on topic - I'm not getting stutters either. Way better than a certain other sim which would slowly and for no discernible reason drop from 60 fps to 1fps before falling apart. I could have trawled through log files to find the cause but I'm interested in flying, not debugging.

Edited by Nate1
  • Like 2

Hi all,

on my old PC with 4770K@4,1 with 1080Ti I’ve turned on HT after 7 years and lowered freq from 4,5 to 4,1 due to heat. Also not using internal Vsync, and it solved my big pauses and stutters, now running smooth 30fps locked in Nvidia CP together with fast sync (vsync setting in CP)

Rado 

Rado

i7 4770K@4,1Ghz HT on since release of MSFS
1080 Ti 11GB 
32GB DDR3 RAM
Samsung SSDs