Sign in to follow this  
Akila

Displayed FPS values are not your real FPS in MSFS

In one of the earlier Video Episodes MS was talking about FPS and something I did not understand. They said something like even with low fps the sim would run smooth like 30 fps because of some kind of technique I never heard of before. Can anyone remember?

Gabriel

I know this may be verging towards heresy, but over the years, I have chased FPS incessantly through all the flight sims, but so far, in this one, I haven't even looked at it because every flight. no matter whether over city, country, water, whatever, at whatever height, it's always been smooth and no stutters.

I don't have a killer machine,  in fact I have i7-8700 3.2 gHz, 32gig ram, operate of good old Hard drives, no ssd in sight and I use my native resolution on my monitor of 1920 x 1080 HD with a GTX 1060 card in it, but with my settings ranging between High and Ultra,  nothing has stopped this being smooth and I seriously couldn't tell you what FPS I am getting in either GA or tubes.  In fact this has been the ONLY Flight sim that hasn't crashed immediately on loading up Heathrow in a tube 🙂

After all the hassles over the years with FSX, P3D and XP in chasing configs and tuning and spending weeks just getting the word not allowed thing to mostly fly, this has been awesome..  load it, add the controllers and fly and enjoy 🙂

Graham

Edited by Moria15
  • Like 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

I noticed this yesterday.  I've been using the nvidia FPS display as it looks better that the developer FPS and its miles out.  I was happily flying around with 80-90 FPS feeling very pleased with myself but the developer FPS shows about 40 and I suspect that's the more accurate measure. 

Not that it matters much as the sim is as smooth as I want it anyway. 

• Like 1

This problem reminds me of the problems that all versions of MSFS had between FS95 and FS2002 - the displayed fps were always double the actual fps. It was only in FS2004 and FSX where the displayed and actual were the same. I guess this new issue in FS2020 is somewhat akin to the mouse issue in the older versions where the fps would drop dramatically when the mouse cursor appeared.

That's why I don't measure fps anymore. As long as my flight is smooth and (mostly) stutter free and having no other issues, I don't care if it are 24, 29, or 55 ... fps.

• Like 2

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

i have VR insight CDUII LCD also , could it be a conflict having this enabled in w10 as well ?

Will try to disable it

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

15 hours ago, JDWalley said:

Up to the point where you tried the VFR map, was the Windows Game Bar FPS counter appearing to be giving an accurate count, or was it off like the MSI and NVIDIA tools?

All of them show correct FPS until you pop the VFR window out,  so i don't know if it is different to others or not, they all showed the same before window pop out. 
I did not test it (Windows/xbox FPS counter) in the Use case 1, so i can't comment on that. only tested on Use case 2 and it got stuck as soon as i pop the VFR map out, so i don't know if it has the same issue like the others or not.

Edited by Akila

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

12 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

i have VR insight CDUII LCD also , could it be a conflict having this enabled in w10 as well ?

Will try to disable it

Michael Moe

@Michael Moe

the VRInsight works in MSFS? I’d like to see how you got it set up please!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

6 hours ago, SKEWR said:

@Michael Moe

the VRInsight works in MSFS? I’d like to see how you got it set up please!

Nope,doesnt work but still active as a display in windows10 so maybe disable it just tp be safe. Maybe single monitor performance could be activated in Nvidia Inspector.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I've been using MSI Afterburner to benchmark, and I've seen nothing to make think that the readings I'm getting aren't accurate.

23 minutes ago, Hippo said:

I've been using MSI Afterburner to benchmark, and I've seen nothing to make think that the readings I'm getting aren't accurate.

Try popping out a window. Not sure how afterburner will react since evga now has its own tool and I use it but theirs started reporting 1000’s of FPS in both main and the popped out display lol. 

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

1 hour ago, flyinion said:

Try popping out a window. Not sure how afterburner will react since evga now has its own tool and I use it but theirs started reporting 1000’s of FPS in both main and the popped out display lol. 

It shows the FPS of the fastest Window - in this case ATC. Stop watching your fps and start watching outside the aircraft 🙂

40 minutes ago, Gabster said:

Stop watching your fps and start watching outside the aircraft 🙂

Some people, and I include myself, find it just as enjoyable, sometimes even more so, to tweak settings and squeeze out that last sliver of fps vs visual quality.  I.e. looking inside the cowling can be just as fun as looking out of the window.

Beware, it can become quite addictive, in an OCD sort of way ;).

Edited by Hippo

You have to use the Dev Mode to show FPS all the time until you get used to it.

I spent a dozen hours thinking I'd found an amazing trick to double FPS by opening the weather engine.

When I realised, I crawled back into my shell for 48 hours, had a little cry... And then deleted as many posts as I could find.... Oh, and the videos I'd put on YouTube...

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴💔

• Like 1