Sign in to follow this  
Dialectic

Why aren’t Catholic Churches being modeled?

I went sight-seeing to visit the beautiful churches of my faith, but I’m a little disappointed. The cathedral-esque church in my hometown turned out to just be cruciform shaped grass next to the rectory. I just assumed since my area is a small rural town that the ai messed up. My wife and I then checked out segovia. The beautiful cathedral there is also just cruciform shaped grass. So now I’m wondering if the ai just doesn’t have a cruciform shaped asset to fill those 2d images. But then I went to Paris and I’m pretty certain that Norte dame was just grass as well, and I’m not certain but I don’t think it’s cruciform shaped so it should have been populated. Plus Paris received hands-on attention. Why did they skip notre dame? Perhaps I had the wrong location? I saw that there was a beautiful model of Sacre Coeur on the hill, and the Vatican is modeled in Rome, so it’s not like they are avoiding having churches in the sim. I’m just confused here. What gives.

• Upvote 1

the AI doesn't know how to draw churches. It needs more training. It has nothing to do with your faith.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I don't suspect anything nefarious. I haven't seen too many Baptist or Methodist Church buildings either. 😇

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Just now, fogboundturtle said:

the AI doesn't know how to draw churches. It needs more training. It has nothing to do with your faith.

Why isn’t notre dame modeled then since Paris had hands on attention? I’m just curious. At one point I just wondered if they didn’t want religious buildings in the game at all. But I found a few so I didn’t understand what the reasons were

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, n4gix said:

I don't suspect anything nefarious. I haven't seen too many Baptist or Methodist Church buildings either. 😇

Yeah there’s a beautiful Lutheran church near me that is modeled but not correctly. Again I just figured it was an ai issue until I saw notre dame wasn’t there 

2 minutes ago, Dialectic said:

Why isn’t notre dame modeled then since Paris had hands on attention? I’m just curious. At one point I just wondered if they didn’t want religious buildings in the game at all. But I found a few so I didn’t understand what the reasons were

No one is attacking your faith. certain building were handcrafted by artist. How they chose which one gets that treatment is unknown. I suggest you just enjoy the scenery for what it is. It will improved over time.

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

12 minutes ago, Dialectic said:

I went sight-seeing to visit the beautiful churches of my faith, but I’m a little disappointed. The cathedral-esque church in my hometown turned out to just be cruciform shaped grass next to the rectory. I just assumed since my area is a small rural town that the ai messed up. My wife and I then checked out segovia. The beautiful cathedral there is also just cruciform shaped grass. So now I’m wondering if the ai just doesn’t have a cruciform shaped asset to fill those 2d images. But then I went to Paris and I’m pretty certain that Norte dame was just grass as well, and I’m not certain but I don’t think it’s cruciform shaped so it should have been populated. Plus Paris received hands-on attention. Why did they skip notre dame? Perhaps I had the wrong location? I saw that there was a beautiful model of Sacre Coeur on the hill, and the Vatican is modeled in Rome, so it’s not like they are avoiding having churches in the sim. I’m just confused here. What gives.

Are you serious? 

• Like 13

1 minute ago, fogboundturtle said:

No one is attacking your faith. certain building were handcrafted by artist. How they chose which one gets that treatment is unknown. I suggest you just enjoy the scenery for what it is. It will improved over time.

I didnt suggest so, I simply asked the question out of curiosity because I don’t see the logic of one being present and one not. I don’t know how they programmed this game. I’m a machinist not a software developer 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

The tallest church in the world is protestant, and it's also not in the sim.

I’d like to see that one too. I read they take suggestions to add in things that are missing but I haven’t tried

Apparently I gave the wrong impression. I said I was disappointed. I didn’t say I was or am offended. I’m not offended.... I also tried to visit old Egyptian temples along the Nile that ended up being missing. Ai issues I guess, but I don’t know so I’m asking

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Anything that's not typical needs to be handcrafted.

I for one am waiting for the ancient Pagan sites scenery add on.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

The AI detects footprint shapes and their roof colors. OSM (that seems to be also used) have places of worship but not always accurate or complete.

The 3D infrastructures are built with algorithms based on the footprint/roof data. We see Industrial, residential etc but it could  be more tricky for places of worship... Being a sensitive topic, I think these were omitted because displaying a place of worship for a specific community with the algorithms margin of error could lead to some disappointments.

Of course there will be no controversy if a specific warehouse in an industrial area does not look like the exact warehouse in real life. Yet if a place of worship, even if it suggest a specific religion could be inaccurate for the specific community belonging to this place of worship... 

Not mentioning that churches are not the only places of worship in the MSFS detailed world.

So of course hand made landmarks and photogrammetry display the exact place of worship for now. The automatic process is inaccurate for this.

I suppose addons will add these perhaps.

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 3

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

I flew over my family's non-denominational church yesterday, and the church building is rendered as a three-story apartment complex in the shape of the church building. Most of the actual church building is single story, with only the sanctuary being multi-story. So, aparently, AI viewed the entire church building as multi-story.

That being said, everything else depicted (including tree placement and nearby softball field) was really close.

I flew over my own home, and MSFS even had the patio furniture depicted. Crazy. Spooky.

• Like 2

FSX Gold SP2 (FSGen + GEX + UTX + REX) --- XP10 / XP11 --- MSFS 2020

Intel i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz / 16GB / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo / MFG Crosswind v3

3 minutes ago, Slides said:

Anything that's not typical needs to be handcrafted.

I for one am waiting for the ancient Pagan sites scenery add on.

I wonder if notre dame was a pain in the butt to model, and might be forthcoming. 

is Stonehenge (sp?) present? Like to see that too