Sign in to follow this  
Graeme1873

GPU hammered on Home / Menu Screen

Hi there

Has anyone else noticed their GPU runs at max whenever you are any of the Home / Menu screens? My 2080 Super runs at about 40- 60 % whenever I am flying and gives me a great smooth performance but whenever I go back to the menu screens it constantly runs at 100% and the temp goes thru the roof.

I am running my ASUS PG279Q monitor at 144Hz, Gsync on, no frame limiter, and Vsync off in the sim.  Have tried changing each of these settings but no difference.

It’s weird - can’t think what the GPU is having to deal with on the menu screens?

Donald

Edited by Graeme1873
  • Like 3

I’ve noticed this too. 

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

2 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I’ve noticed this too. 

+1

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

My rig really makes the room hot when gpu and cpu are cranked. So I hate that I may just want to go in and play around with control mappings and stuff like that but have to get a hot room. When I’m flying I can accept it. 

• Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

The good news is like FSX in a few years and a few grands worth of hardware upgrade you will not have a problem 🙂

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

It was mentioned already somewhere here in the forum:

Windows - advanced system settings - change "CPU optimized for Programmes" to "optimized for services running in the backround"

It is a longer way to come to this setting, find it out. I'm running on German language and don't know the English terms for it, sorry.

But this does the trick at least for me.

I have a 3770K and 1080 without Ti and my gig was cooking at the main menu already. Get now about 25% less load for CPU/GPU in the menu and a better contribution for the threads during the flight as well. 

Hope it helps for you too - try it out.

Best regards from Thailand

Detlef

1 hour ago, Graeme1873 said:

It’s weird - can’t think what the GPU is having to deal with on the menu screens?

It's rendering the hangar in the background, and without a framerate limit or vsync it just tries to get the highest framerate possible. Limiting the framerate will fix it. Seems odd they'd bothered rendering it though given it's almost entirely covered by the menu.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

24 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

It's rendering the hangar in the background, and without a framerate limit or vsync it just tries to get the highest framerate possible. Limiting the framerate will fix it. Seems odd they'd bothered rendering it though given it's almost entirely covered by the menu.

wish you could disable the hangar in the backround with a still image or something. Then when you enter the hangar through the UI it should only load.

99% of the time you only see just a little of the hangar anyway...

Also the hangar rendering always in the backround makes the UI laggy.

Edited by Concorde79

34 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

Exactly. It's really useless, as the hangar is completely covered by the menu. I think this will see a change. 

-

Currently giving X-Plane 12.10 a spin on Shadow PC. 10 years with X-Plane now, since 10.20

yes would be nice to be able to turn it off.  Kind of like avatar mode in P3D.  Tried it out initially then turned it right off. 

I fuzzed around with this a bit: as mentioned, vsync on and framerates limited will reduce the load on the GPU both in the menu screens and in the sim, but it didn't improve smoothness for me, probably because I'm gettng such low frame rates anyway. But at least my GPU's fan aren't on full blast all the time now. 

I dont have the game yet but have read so many threads on this forum that I feel the it should have come out in Aug 2021! I'll bet the French company was pushed into an early release by the bosses in Seattle. Anyway im sure they'll iron all the bugs out.